1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roger Clemens thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chevytruck, Dec 11, 2003.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He handled it just fine when the Mets actually threw at him(even though they missed him). I don't think Roger is scared one bit.

2. rocketball8

rocketball8 Contributing Member

Did see this in the thread.

here is another interesting tidbit about the return of the Rocket.

I found this on ESPN webpage.

HOUSTON -- A radio stunt could nudge future Hall of Famer Roger Clemens out of retirement.

Clemens is taking the weekend to decide whether he'd like to pitch for the Astros, where he would join friend Andy Pettitte, he told local talk show hosts from KKRW-FM Radio.

Rumors have been circulating since Clemens announced his retirement that he would unretire and pitch near home for the Astros. Clemens is technically a free agent, and can sign with any major league team.

When Pettitte decided on the Astros Thursday, that likely added to Clemens' motivation. Clemens and Pettitte were best friends on the Yankees.

However, Clemens was concerned that his Yankees' farewell gift -- a Hummer -- would be taken away if he decided to resume his career.

That's where the radio station comes in. KKRW's "Dean and Rog" came up with a plan: They made a plea on the air Friday morning for a Hummer they could offer to Clemens. Moments later, Hummer dealer and regular Dean and Rog listener Lee DeMontrond called in live with an offer.

An hour later the three hit the road in the Hummer, driving straight to the front door of Clemens' house, where they were greeted by Roger and his wife, Debbie.

When presented with the keys, a surprised Clemens said, "This is getting very interesting. ... I didn't know making a comment like that, you guys would show up in my front driveway with a burnt-orange H2."

Clemens added, "I am happy for Andy [Pettitte]. I think he is going to make a big difference." When asked if he would be in an Astros uniform come April, Clemens responded "maybe," and that the Hummer offer made things interesting. The radio show's deal is good only until Monday morning.

When they signed Pettitte, the Astros said they certainly would be receptive to the idea of Clemens pitching in Houston. However, the Astros have not reacted to the radio station's attempts to lure the Rocket back into active duty.

3. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

yeah i was just about to post that story too. did anyone hear this on the radio? this is getting crazy. how awesome would it be to steal Pettitte and clemens from the Yanks.

In my best Nelson voice: "haha" :D

4. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

What kind of money are the Astros looking at for him? Andy ideas?

5. drapg

drapg Member

This is a truly amazing story. I can barely contain my excitement about the prospect of adding Clemens and Pettitte to our rotation!

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If I had to guess I think we could get Clemens here for a 1 year deal at $4-5 million. Drayton might work some of his deffered magic and give him $1 million this season and $4 mill. the next. Either way, having Clemens here would make him so much more money in ticket sales. Clemen's and Pettitte's first games here are guaranted sellouts.

7. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

The other intriguing possibility id havign Clemens pitch at home only. I don't think that is too bad of an idea. You wouldn't have to pay him a ton to do that and you get him for half a season of starts. If you play it right you get him to open many of the homestand sand go every fifth day. That allows you to rest some guys when needed and give Clemens a chance to be with his family and not get over-worked(not that he would with Jimah anyway)

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i can't imagine a guy like clemens would accept a deal like that...he'd feel like he was half-assing his team...not to mention how it screws up a regular rotation.

9. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I`m trying not to get my hopes up, but this type of news is very exciting.

10. deepellumrocket

I always figured that once you have somebody a hummer you couldn't take it back.

11. deepellumrocket

EDIT: ...once you gave somebody...

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

This is getting very interesting. I wonder how serious Roger is.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

ANybody catch the 97.3 the Arrow morning show?

I missed it but they replayed some of it on ESPN radio. The crew went to talk to Roger Clemens:

On the air they were talking about how Roger Clemens joked that if he played for the Astros he would have to give back his Hummer H2 that was given to him by the Yankees as a retirement gift. So the crew at 97.3 the Arrow said they were going to do what ever they could to get Roger a Hummer if he joined the astros.
    A caller called in and it was an owner of a car dealership that offered to give Roger Clemens a Hummer if he would join the Astros. So the crew and the owner went to Rogers house to tell him.
    His wife answered the call from the gate and asked what they want with Roger, and they told her they were willing to give Roger an H2 if he joined. She let them in, and then they began to talk with Roger. They kept asking if he would join the Astros, mentioning how Pettitte said Roger is in excellent shape and can pitch. They showed Roger the Hummer that they parked on his driveway and said it's all his if he joins the Astros.
    Roger said that him joining the Astros is a MAYBE. He said he has been listening to the Astros the last couple of days.
    The radio crew is giving him till Monday at 8:00am to make his decision.

I thought that was a good morning show. Funny stuff.

14. dEVIL

dEVIL Member

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Danm I am slow...I quickly speed read through the 1st page and then stopped.

I missed the post that had the ARROW stunt already posted.

My bad. Forget my last post.

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Here are the pics from that 97.3 website:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

If Roger undo the retirement and comes back playing along with Andy for Astros, I will be really really pissed.

Can't stand it!

Do something, George!!!

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

nothing beats waking up to a hummer.....

19. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

friend said on radio drayton mcclane guaranteed rogers comin back for a year....any confirmations?

20. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

what radio station? 610? was this said this evening?