1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roger Clemens thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chevytruck, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

:confused: Come on P, pitching wins Championships, and although I'm not the biggest Astros fan right now this move excites me and makes us a lot better.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The future is now pg... can you remember the last time the 'Stros had a chance like this, and this much national exposure?

Randy Johnson in '98 came close... but even then, guys like Hampton and Lima weren't well known commodities, despite their great records.

Now, you're adding Clemens, who may be the most legendary pitcher still active, and Pettite... two guys who every baseball fan knows.

Additionally, this 'should' have been a playoff team last year... so you're adding these guys to established stars like Oswalt, Miller, Bagwell, Berkman and Kent.

I'll gladly trade the possibility of this "one freaking year" for the last four that Astros fans have had to suffer thru.

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I was just listening to "In youy Eyes" pgabriel. Besides that, why can't you be happy about the Astros? They are smart to not give pitchers more then 3 year contracts. (Think D. Dreifort, Kevin Brown)

And Clemens coming home? Thats just the icing on the cake. Seriously, this has been two very successful offseasons in a row.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

First of all, Clemens in 04 is no Randy Johnson in 98. He's not even Randy Johnson in 04. If you guys think he is going to come here and have an ERA of under 2.5 then you are in for a big dissappointment.

Second of all, this team is not complete. It has a lead off man playing center who can't cover left and bat .270, a left fielder who should be playing first, and a first baseman who can't throw home. This deal will do exactly what its designed to do, put fans in the seats.

5. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

It was complete enough to miss the playoffs by only one game last year. Adding two stellar pitchers to the mix definitely puts them over the top on paper ... so YES it is something to get excited about.

Somebody sounds like they have a little bit of the dark side in them .. You are from the bronx huh?

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

p - they missed the playoffs by one game. one game. with jeroime robertson and ron villone pitching big games down the stretch. i'll take my chance with pettite and clemens, no matter how worthless you think they are.

7. MadMax

i think he has an astros/rockets rivalry thing going on.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Not at all, just don't think this deal is going to get people the results they think it is, even addition to Pettitte.

For the record, I have not supported all of the Rockets signings that brought old guys to them because its just delaying the inevitable. Barkley and Pippen delayed the rebuilding process. People thought I was a malcontent back then, but the fact is, these moves never work. Show me any sports team that won a championship with a move like this, and maybe I will lighten up.

9. MadMax

Pudge last year...for one year...to the Marlins.

how about when the Yankees do it all the freaking time?

how about when the Rockets added on Drexler AT MIDSEASON?

the Avalance adding on the old Bruin defenseman (whose name escapes me right now) for the playoffs

the Mets adding on Hampton for one year and making it to the World Series

10. MadMax

and how does roger...at one year for 5 million dollars...keep the astros from "rebuilding?"

and by the way...who says the astros SHOULD be rebulding right now? they have a very small window of opportunity with a veteran bunch of players.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Rockets got an 'aging' Clyde Drexler (at about the same point in his career as Pettite is at his)... and won the championship.

Red Wings put together a bunch of older studs from other teams (Hull, Hasek, etc.) and won it all a few years ago.

(haven't yet won)
    The Lakers were doing fine when their guys were healthy... with the addition of an older Payton (Pettite), and a very old - but in shape Malone (Clemens).

And... the Rockets - Barkley deal is one I'd do in again in a second. We got within two games of the FINALS, when we wouldn't have even gotten past Seattle without him.

I think you're looking at this team like they were a bunch of scrubs, and they just added two aging players. This team SHOULD have done much better last year, and would have had Oswalt not gone down to injury.

I know we don't have team speed, and our leadoff hitter/CF could be better... but what team does not have weaknesses. We play to our strengths, and hope we get it done.

Right now, our strengths are as strong as they've ever been:
    Starting pitching 1-4.

Guys named Berkman, Kent, Bagwell, Ensberg, and Hidalgo solidify power in a potent lineup.

Guys like Ausmus and Everett provide the defense all teams need to win.

Bottom line... if you can't find a reason to like THIS team, who can you like?

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Okay, the Yankees are contiually World Series contenders, the Astros haven't made it to the Playoffs in Two season.

Same thing with Drexler, he was added to a championship nucleus.

The Pudge deal may be a good example, I wouldn't consider this deal exactly like that..

I don't watch Hockey.

13. MadMax

i think you're looking for a reason to be negative about this, pgabriel. these are two good moves to bring in very solid starting pitchers to a fairly young rotation. those are good moves.

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well, take it from a Cane fan, you need to change your sig because the Miami Hurricanes are the University of Miami not Miami University (which is what Miami of Ohio is - Miami University).

15. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The Astros don't need Clemens to be Randy Johnson of 98 for them to win. I expect a solid year from Roger, which could turn into a stellar one. But the man can still pitch well, no doubt about it. And on your comment about a move like this never working, most of these moves haven't involved a player going to a good team before adding him like Clemens is.

But fine I'll hear you out, find me a better team as of right now in the NL, and back it up with your reasoning as to why.

Finally, Lance Berkman has made himself into a very solid leftfielder defensively, bagwell is a serviceable defensive 1b, and biggio held his own in center last year. They also have 3 of the best defenders at their respective positions in Ausmus, Everett and Hidalgo. They could use a stronger two hole hitter or leadoff man, but this is about as complete a team as you will find in the NL right now and with its pitching, it can afford a couple small problems.

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Aight dog I will change it. Just tell my boy Sean Taylor that we got a #26 jersey waiting on him at Reliant Stadium.:)

17. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

wow.......

EXCELLENT JOB ASTROS :D

we're gonna have a rotation that's gonna kick some ass

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

rrright.... and yet you're somehow against them trying to do that now?

Forget about adding all these guys... the only thing that can stop this team, is the one thing that hurt them last year... health.

If Oswalt and Kent don't miss all that time over injuries that don't normally occur, how many more games would the Astros have won? My guess is at least 12-14. (Full strength Oswalt, alone, adds at least 8... ).

That puts them as a solid playoff team.

Now you're adding two pitchers who 'should' win another 12-15 games each, and pitch around 200 IP each?

And you're against that?

Bottom line: (from Charlie at 610)... "This move takes away 50 (FIFTY!) starts that would have been made by either Ron Villone or Jeremy Robertson. That, combined with signing the most legendary active pitcher right now, and with the day and age we live in... makes this the MOST anticipated Astros season of all time."

19. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

:eek: :eek: I heard that too.

20. MadMax

i knew you'd find a way to distinguish every example i posted...i tell you what..you find a deal that is EXACTLY like this one, and then we'll discuss that. good luck with that task, by the way.

come on, p. the glass is half full. smile.