1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Roger Clemens thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chevytruck, Dec 11, 2003.

1. chevytruck

chevytruck Member

Now that we have already signed with AP, I think that it would be appropriate to start a new thread devoting only to RC. From my point of view, RC is very likely to pitch for Houston. AP and RC always go together (literally and figuratively). AP mentioned that RC is still in good pitching shape and he is willing to persuade RC to pitch for Houston. What do you think?

2. lalala902102001

I think he is finished. I would be very surprised if Clemens pitches again in the major leagues.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Lets just say that, if he ever pitches again in a major league uniform, it will most likely be in Houston.

Problem is, I think he'll start enjoying retirement soon... and thus get out of shape... and by the time he gets antsy to start playing again, his body will put a stop to that.

He's in shape now though... if he was going to come back, we'd find out soon.

4. rudager

rudager Member

Apparently he's working out like he used to (i.e. really hard) with Pettitte. Either he's terrified of getting fat, or he's got notions...

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

actually, i think he'll continue to stay in shape until spring training comes around. clemens is such a competitor, he'll miss the game knowing that he could still produce. we'll sign him then.

:D

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

the one reason that I don't think clemens is coming back is the number andy chose to wear on his stro's uni.

21 clemens #. It is meant to be a tribute of respect.

i bet pettite knows more about roger's desire to play more than we do

7. Phi83

Phi83 Contributing Member

roger clemens = closer

The equations is evident.

8. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Clemens will just have to wear #46 then. ;)

How about a player / pitching coach? Pete Rose used to be a player / manager w/ the Reds.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and he was the one yesterday talking about how hard roger has been working out...

and clemens statements sound more and more like he's waivering.

again...my business partner knows roger and his family pretty well. at a party about 6 months ago, he ran into his wife...he said, "is roger looking forward to retirement?" his wife responded by saying, "actually, he keeps talking about how nice it would be to play one more season if he could sleep at home."

do with that what you will! :)

10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Although I dont think it will happen, I would love to see the Rocket pitching for the Astros next year. Talk about selling tickets, Drayton would have a near sell out each time these 2 pitched.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

I thought Clemens told AP to retire a Yankee to keep his legacy. That would lead me to believe he's done.

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Oh baby. I have a good feeling about this. :)

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I think its crazy he wants to go to the Hall as a Yankee. Everyone knows he was one of the best pitchers ever in a Sox uniform. He was on better teams in NY but he should go in the Hall as a Red Sox.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Pettitte Hopes Clemens Will Join Him
    MICHAEL A. LUTZ
    Associated Press

HOUSTON - Now that Andy Pettitte is heading home to Houston, he'd like Roger Clemens to join him.

Pettitte accepted a $31.5 million, three-year contract with the Houston Astros on Thursday, leaving the New York Yankees after nine seasons and four World Series championships.

Now he'll try to convince his former Yankee teammate Clemens to come out of retirement and pitch for the Astros, too.

We'll see what happens," said Pettitte, who still works out with Clemens. "I know the media's already hit him up on that, and if I feel there's a chance, I'll hit him up on it, too."

The Yankees wasted no time in trying to fill the void left by the popular left-hander.

The Yankees and Dodgers agreed to the outline of a trade that would send Brown to the Yankees for right-hander Jeff Weaver, two minor leaguers and $3 million, two baseball officials said on condition of anonymity.

Brown, who turns 39 in March, has the right to block a trade and has not yet been asked about it, agent Scott Boras said. All players must pass physicals, and the Yankees want to review Brown's contract before signing off on the swap, the officials said.

"We hate to lose Andy Pettitte," Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said in a statement. "We know the fans may be disappointed, but if you're counting us out next year, don't bet the house."

Later, as he left the Yankees' minor league complex in Tampa, Fla., Steinbrenner said that the pull of being close to his family seemed to sway Pettitte.

"It's obvious to a lot of us from the start that he wanted to go home," Steinbrenner said.

Houston first baseman Jeff Bagwell wasn't so sure.

"Never in my wildest imagination did I think we really had a chance," Bagwell told Houston television station KRIV.

Sounding wistful at times, the 31-year-old Pettitte said the Yankees' failure to pursue him aggressively allowed him to turn his attention to Houston, which wound up signing him for $7.5 million less than New York offered.

"When I left there after (World Series) Game 6, I never really envisioned myself in a different uniform," Pettitte said. "I thought that they would try to make a serious push to sign me then."

Clemens sounded surprised by the Yankees' bargaining.

"This is their guy," he told Sporting News Radio. "I think if they would have come and hit him hard early, no other team would have been able to sway him away."

Clemens, who has 310 wins, lives in Houston and is represented by Alan and Randy Hendricks, also Pettitte's agents. The 41-year-old right-hander didn't say whether he'd consider joining the Astros.

"We've let his representatives know if Roger changes his mind about retiring, we'd be interested in talking to him," general manager Gerry Hunsicker said.

New York's initial proposal, made just before Pettitte could start negotiations for all teams last month, was for $30 million over three years, including some deferrals. The Yankees didn't make another offer until late Wednesday night.

Pettitte's agents told the club during the day that they should offer a $52 million, four-year contract to get the pitcher's attention. They couldn't guarantee Pettitte accepting it, however.

"At that level, we weren't comfortable," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said.

New York countered with a $26 million, two-year offer with a third season at $13 million that would become guaranteed if Pettitte wasn't on the disabled list for much of 2005.

By then it was too late.

"Over the last two weeks I felt my heart was really tugging me to come back here," said Pettitte, who lives in nearby Deer Park.

Pettitte, who helped the Yankees win six AL pennants, was 21-8 last season with a 4.08 ERA, improving his career record to 149-78.

He will get $5.5 million next season, $8.5 million in 2005 and $17.5 million in 2006 - with $7.5 million in the final season deferred until July 1, 2008, according to contract details obtained by The Associated Press.

In addition, the lack of a state income tax in Texas and not having a residence in New York will add to an annual savings of about $1 million.

With his departure, only Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Bernie Williams and Jorge Posada remain from the group that led the Yankees to titles.

"It's going to be a little strange," Yankees reliever Steve Karsay said. "It's going to be sad to see him go."

---

AP Sports Writer Ronald Blum in New York contributed to this report

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Deal could sweeten if Clemens follows
    By RICHARD JUSTICE
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

When Andy Pettitte returned from a weeklong hunting trip and resumed his offseason conditioning program this week, he was joined by a familiar and unexpected workout partner.

And Thursday, as Pettitte, one of baseball's most accomplished pitchers and respected citizens, surprised the New York Yankees and the sports world by agreeing to a three-year, $31.5 million deal with the Astros, it was that famous workout partner who loomed over the day.

Could Roger Clemens be lured into joining Pettitte and giving the Astros a devastating one-two combination, in terms of pitching performance and marketing potential? The Astros intend to find out. Even as team owner Drayton McLane made possibly his most dramatic acquisition since purchasing the franchise, he admitted he has one more in mind.

"I will call Roger at the appropriate time," he said. "We'll talk."

Clemens, 41, could not be reached for comment, but has said the 2003 season would be his last. After winning 310 games -- the 17th-most in history -- and an unprecedented six Cy Young awards, he told reporters he had no more mountains to climb.

In recent days, though, he has wavered slightly, saying, "Well, I've said it was 99.9 percent."

His Houston-based agents, Alan and Randy Hendricks, who also represent Pettitte, 31, dropped tantalizing hints that Clemens could be talked into pitching again.

"To quote the immortal (former Astro) Joaquin Andujar, you never know," Alan Hendricks said. "It wouldn't surprise me if this didn't stir him up a little bit. But let's let this be Andy's day."

Pettitte's day became a tribute, of sorts, to Clemens, especially when he slipped into his new Astros jersey and showed reporters he would wear No. 21.

That's the number Clemens wore at the University of Texas and while pitching for the Boston Red Sox and Toronto Blue Jays. He switched to No. 22 upon joining the Yankees.

"This is a new chapter of my career," Pettitte said. "No. 21 has been pretty special to me. The last five years (as Yankees teammates) were special to me. When I was growing up and watching him pitch, he was a big influence on me. I asked him the other day when we were working out if he minded if I stole his number from him."

As for the two of them pitching for the Astros next season, Pettitte said: "Five days ago, I'd have said no. Now, I don't know. If he gives me any opening to say he might think about it, I'm going to jump on it pretty good. That would be awesome."

Even if the Astros do nothing else, they've given themselves a dramatic new look.

Pettitte, who grew up in Deer Park and will make his year-round home there, joins Roy Oswalt and Wade Miller to give the Astros three starting pitchers as good as almost any in the major leagues.

In nine seasons with the Yankees, Pettitte won 149 games -- ninth-most in the franchise's history. The left-hander averaged 17 victories and 199 innings per season, and his 13 postseason victories are tied with John Smoltz for the most in history.

Pettitte is coming off a season in which he pitched 208 1/3 innings and went 21-8. The Astros haven't had a 21-game winner since Mike Hampton won 22 in 1999.

Pettitte is at his best when the games mean the most. He was 3-1 with a 2.10 ERA in five postseason starts. This season in 18 starts after a Yankees loss, he was 13-4 with a 3.28 ERA.

For a franchise that never has won a playoff series, the presence of a pitcher who has won six American League pennants and four championships in nine seasons is an addition that could impact the Astros on several levels.

"This is Andy Pettitte who we've all seen on the big stage in October," Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker said. "That's a stage we've been trying to get to forever. I don't think Andy is going to take this franchise on his shoulders and take us to the promised land, but it's a very significant piece to our puzzle. It's a tremendous addition, not only because of the accomplished pitcher he is, but the rest of the things he brings."

Pettitte admitted he never expected to leave the Yankees, but the club never aggressively pursued him. Once he and his agents met with McLane and Hunsicker, he slowly began to think about changing teams.

With wife, Laura, and their three children splitting their year between New York and Texas, life had gotten increasingly difficult.

He knew Laura preferred he pitch for the Astros.

"Every time we talked about it last season, I'd get tears in my eyes," Laura Pettitte said. "I wanted to be home so badly. Our kids are getting older. We had a house in New York, but it's not home. The kids didn't have a lot of friends there. But I wanted him to be happy. If he wasn't going to be happy here, I didn't want it. We just prayed so much that God would give him the peace to do the right thing."

Pettitte returned from a hunting trip to Big Bend on Saturday and, midway through his 9-year-old son's football banquet Sunday afternoon, he turned to Laura and asked for his cell phone.

"I'm going to sign with the Astros," he said.

Thus ended three weeks of what he described as soul-searching and prayer in deciding to leave the Yankees. He also knew he could get more money elsewhere, but in the end, decided to return to his hometown to make life simpler for his kids and to be closer to his immediate family.

He telephoned his agents with simple instructions: Get a deal done with the Astros.

Thursday, Pettitte and the Astros formally sealed a marriage that once seemed unthinkable.

Pettitte said that once he made his decision Sunday, he never looked back.

Wednesday as the two sides were wrapping up details, the Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers and St. Louis Cardinals made offers. By then, he was firm.

He even agreed to structure the contract in a way that would help the Astros keep the core of the current club together. Far from the $13 million per season he could have gotten from the Yankees, he'll receive $5.5 million from the Astros in 2004, $8.5 million in 2005 and $17.5 million in 2006. But $7.5 million of that 2006 salary will be deferred until 2008.

The Boston Red Sox had made a four-year, $52 million offer, and Wednesday, the Yankees put a three-year, $39 million deal on the table.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said the Hendricks brothers asked for $52 million over four years, but admitted Pettitte probably would reject it. His mind was made up.

Pettitte said leaving the Yankees was an agonizing decision.

"When I walked off the mound at Yankee Stadium after Game 6 (of the World Series), I definitely didn't think this would become a reality," he said. "I really didn't know how interested the Astros would be. Once we met, I felt like they really wanted me here. Things just started happening. My heart started pulling me, tugging me to come back down here. It was a very tough decision. Spending nine years in New York. It's just been real special. It's a special place to me. But I'm going to start a new chapter now in my baseball career."

The Yankees have been roasted in the New York media for taking a go-slow approach to re-signing Pettitte.

"It was our priority from the start to get a deal done with him, and he just wanted to go home," a Yankees official told the New York Times. "That's the bottom line. He took less money than what we offered, period."

The Yankees offered Pettitte $30 million over three years before he filed for free agency and promised they were willing to go higher.

According to the Times, Pettitte did not respond with a counterproposal until Wednesday when he was closing in on signing with the Astros.

"I'm completely happy with my decision," he said. "I've had time to think long and hard about it. My family is the most important thing to me. I think everybody realizes that now. I'm sure everyone thought I'd just go after the money. It wasn't about the money. I could have gotten a lot more money other places."

16. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

Oh I can hear myself now. "this guy on clutchfans.net says he knows someone who knows Roger and his family and he said that his friend spoke with rogers wife and asked her about Roger's retirement. And she said that he keeps talking about how nice it would be to be playing one more season if he could sleep at home!!!"

Normal response from any astros fan I talk to this about : "Holy Sh**! No way!"

This is going to get real intresting....[/QUOTE]

17. MadMax

i actually posted this like 6 months ago...it didn't receive as much attention then, though.

18. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Clemens here would be great, but. . .

could he make it through the first month alive with all the NL pitchers throwing at his head to make up for the sins of the past?

we might have to skip him against the Mets the way the Yankees did.

as much as I love some of what the Rocket has been about and meant to Houston and Texas. . . a part of me would relish watching him get his noggan tossed at.

19. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

I could not have said this better myself. Now if he were an Astros, I'd be a huge fan of the Rocket starting month 2, if indeed he survived month 1 of next season.

Heck, I waited on the Rockets to make a big splash, didn't happen, so I'm all for the Astros doing a couple of gainers into the pool.

20. MadMax

we heard that same trash about randy johnson when he came to the NL...that he wouldn't be nearly as bold if he had to bat. turns out that wasn't the case.

roger is a big boy...he can take care of himself. i dare you to throw at roger freaking clemens.