1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roger as the next Astros Manager?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by caphorns, Aug 11, 2004.

1. caphorns

caphorns Member

Why not offer Roger the job at the end of the year? The guy is known for his exceptional workouts. He spends an incredible amount of time studying every hitter in the league. He knows an incredible amount about the mentality of a pitcher. He wants to live in Houston. I imagine he can figure out how to make offensive moves. And exactly what do the Astros have to lose at this point?

As I see it, Roger retires at the end of the year. We will lose Beltran and Kent. The club has very little money to go after quality FAs and even if they could there are too many holes to fill. You have a young team for the most part with a pitching staff that has incredible respect for Roger. I somehow think it may be difficult to get people to the park if you don't make a big move like having Roger take over the manager spot.

Thoughts?

2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

The only way we were able to sign him this season was to let him stay home and not be with the team when he wasn't pitching. I don't think you can do the same with a manager.

3. caphorns

caphorns Member

Agreed. Obviously, Roger would have to want to take it a step further and commit his time to the Astros. That's a big assumption. But, he's a competitive guy. I still don't see that as a reason not to make a solid offer.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

He knows how to get tossed from a game too.

5. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I think it would be wiser to give him a position within the organization as a pitching coach at some level - remember, he never really fraternized with hitters because he might have had to pitch against them someday - so he might have trouble relating to hitters. Let him work his way up the ladder.

Frankly, I'd rather have him in Corpus with our AA team than with the major league team next year.

6. caphorns

caphorns Member

I just don't see Roger hitting the road for the minor league circuit (given that he wants to stay in Houston). He'll get along fine with hitters on our team. Hitters on other teams - I could care less.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

what, exactly, has he done with the young pitchers on our staff?

8. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I think he means Roger Craig:eek:

9. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

I'd rather bring 1M back than have Roger manage this team.

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

He wants to be with his family, maybe when his kids go off to college.

11. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I think we'd sooner see Hakeem coach the Rockets. What about Roger's stay in Houston would make him want to do a thing like that? He probably already regrets leaving NY/coming out of retirement. I don't think he'll stick around one way or another.

12. caphorns

caphorns Member

I'm surprised that there seems to be an active disinterest in Roger Clemens as a manager. I think I'd rather have a guy with Roger's drive and knowledge than almost any other realistic candidate out there. I KNOW that I don't want Scrap Iron after watching the last couple of weeks. What was that damn lineup yesterday? What in the hell is he doing using David Weathers so much?