1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rodrick Rhodes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VesceySux, Aug 23, 2001.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Hey, my very first thread!

I mentioned in another discussion that I'd try to get some info on Rodrick Rhodes' whereabouts, so here goes...

For those who don't know, Rhodes, before Utah, was traded to Vancouver from Houston (duh), then traded to Orlando, then cut, then signed by Philly, and then released once again after getting hurt.

According to a friend of mine (who's good friends wth RR), Rhodes is/was in Utah trying out for the team this year. He apparently didn't get much PT with the Jazzholes in the summer leagues.

Oeilpere, speaking about RR in another thread, was pretty much accurate with his assessment. Here's his quote:

My source seems to believe that Rodrick is disillusioned with basketball all together and is not sure if he'll ever play again (pro-wise that is). His work ethic is not that great, and he doesn't seem to have the intensity and motivation for the game he once had (see Cato, Kelvin). Obviously, he keeps bouncing from team to team (and that never really helps). I hate to see a guy lose his love for the game. Unfortunately, the NBA is a business, and many players get lost in the shuffle or caught up in an entanglement of cap economics (see Olajuwon, Hakeem).

According to the conversation I had with my friend, Rudy liked Rodrick, but he liked Stevie Franchise (or the thought of getting Steve via trade) even more. I don't believe there were any ill feelings towards RR from the coaching staff. Then again, this is from the player's perspective, not the organization.

I, personally, would like to see RR play again for the Rockets (or any other team for that matter), but I'm not sure he would be needed here. Yes, we need a 1 if Moochie leaves, and yes, RR did play some 1 when he was here, but he's just not a pure point guard like Mooch is. Of course, there's also the problem with his intensity and work ethic. Then again, he has played for Rudy and more or less knows the system. He could back up Franchise and Cat (a bonus) and would come pretty cheap. Of course, any notion of him coming back at this time would probably be a pipe dream due to his current attitude.

I just thought I'd update ya'll on the status of an ex-Rocket (instead of starting the now-obligatory newbie thread on Cato).

Coming up next: a chilling expose on the life and tribulations of Pete Chilcutt, an American legend...

2. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

Good info!

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

VecseySux:

"According to the conversation I had with my friend, Rudy liked Rodrick, but he liked Stevie Franchise (or the thought of getting Steve via trade) even more. "

What does RR have to do w/ Steve Francis??

4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Rhodes the guy of whom Rudy said (as Rhodes was on his way out) something like, "Of all the players we've had, he's the only one who didn't want to be here"?

5. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

RT works like this.

He hands you the ball and says he wants you to do something with it. If you try to do what he says but fail, he still loves you. If you work on your game trying to improve he will hand you the ball and tell you what he wnats you to do. If you still fail he will always give you back that ball as long as you are working to improve. RT is not a babysitter. If you need extra work then put in extra time.

RR works like this.

He was given the ball, failed and never did anything about trying to improve. He saundered out of the overhead at shootaround like he had just hit 5 for 5 the previous game, when it was 1 for five and acouple of turnovers. When he was approached about making poor game decisions (when to pass, who to pass to, when to clear a defender, when to move to the middle with the ball) he never worked on that part of his game. He did not show up at meetings arranged so he and other players could work on distribution, control and shot selection.

Pro Sports works like this.

Ring! Ring! " ... ah, hello ... yeah this is he .... uh huh .... I was traded where? ...."

6. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

It's too bad really, because Rodrick had some awesome skills. He had quickness and athleticism, and his defense was very strong. Rodrick made many turnovers, but he had a good court vision, and made some strong passes. He could get to the basket like Cuttino, but couldn't finish for anything.

I hope that maybe someday soon he'll get his stuff together and put forth some effort to improve.

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

pippendagimp-
    Oops, you're right. I had my trades mixed up. I haven't had my coffee this morning, and I guess it shows. RR was already with the Grizzlies by then. Here's the Francis deal:

"Steve Francis got his trade wish and, in return, the Vancouver Grizzlies got their depth. In what turned out to be a three-way deal, involving the Houston Rockets and the Orlando Magic, the Grizzlies sent Francis, their disgruntled draft pick who was selected second overall last June, to the Rockets. In return, the Grizzlies got forwards Othella Harrington and Antoine Carr and guards Michael Dickerson and Brent Price from Houston, as well as a first-round draft pick in 2000, 2001, or 2002. Dickerson rejoins former University of Arizona backcourt mate Mike Bibby. From Orlando, the Grizzlies got the Magic's second-round draft pick in 2002. Along with Francis, the Rockets got journeyman forward Tony Massenberg from the Grizzlies. As part of the deal, the Magic sent Don MacLean to Houston, in exchange for Grizzlies Michael Smith, Lee Mayberry, Rodrick Rhodes and Makhtar Ndiaye, whom the Grizzlies re-signed and then dealt away."

I also forgot that Rodrick played for Portland as well. I guess I needed to do a small bit of homework before posting. Oh, well. Sorry to spread misinformation.

Will-
    Like I said, this is according to the player himself, not the organization.

I did some more checking (while trying to figure out when Rodrick was traded). Here are his stats from this year's Rocky Mountain Revue (with the Jazzholes):

<pre>
    G MIN PTS REB AST STL TO
    Rhodes 4 21 4 4 4 1 4

</pre>

8. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

The system has completely changed.

So Rod doesn't really know our system...

9. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

damn I can't wait for Pete Chilcutt...

Go Chilli Pete !!

10. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

RR couldn't finish. That was weird, he'd get to the hole and miss every time. What was up with that?