1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rodrick Rhodes is here!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bury3, Feb 5, 2002.

1. bury3

bury3 Member

...in Manila, Philippines. He's playing for FedEx in the Phillipine Basketball Association. Season starts next week.

I've been a huge Rockets fan the past 5 years or so, and have been coming to CC.net from the very beginning.

Just wanted to tell you guys where this former Rocket is, and wanted to hear what your opinion of this guy is before I start watching him. Why the hell was this guy a bust? :confused:

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

3. cometsluv4play

great ball-handler...can't shoot to save his life.........we have his twin brother on the roster now,...his name is Tierre Brown. :)

4. PeteChilcuttFan

He's a a swingman who thinks he's a point guard. When he was in Vancouver, he got to play point a few times during garbage time, but didn't impress anyone. He also got traded for Sam Mack...we all know how good he is.

5. bury3

bury3 Member

Jeez, they've been touting his credentials here in Manila as an ex-NBA superstar, when nobody but the hardest of hardcore Rockets fans (like me) have heard of him!

If he can't shoot, the I think he'd be shipped out of here in no time (ouch!). Imports are brought here mainly for offense. Oh well, I'll keep you guys posted. :)

6. lived

lived Member

If I send you a couple of cards, you think you can get his autograph?

7. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

Rodrick Rhodes...now there's a name I haven't heard for a while.
    But what happened to:

Joe Stephens
    Venson Hamilton (pre-lockout draft)
    Tyronn Washington (pre-lockout draft)
    Antoine Carr
    Bill Curly
    Devin Gray

These players should be added to a CC.net "Where are they now?" forum. ;)
    I'm sure there was nothing mysterious about their disappearences, they all just mysteriously disappeared. :)

8. cometsluv4play

in Rodrick's defense ( no pun intended ),...he did pick Jordan's pocket once in '96 i think...he's a good defender.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

He couldn't shoot, but he had quick hands and played some good defense. When the Rockets drafted him I thought he has a chance to become a good player over time, but his shot never improved. His defense and ball handling were good though.

10. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

Stacey Augmon junior minus any shot...good defender, questionnable shot making..

love to have him if he could just find the rim sometimes. he stymied jordan a couple times!

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Wasn't Derrick Chievous playing out in the Phillipines for a while? Is he still out there?

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rhodes has plenty of talent. His problem has always been his attitude. He was a McDonalds All-American, but bounced around, and couldn't stand to not be the man.

If I remember correctly, wasn't the trade precipitated by a lack of looks? I seem to remember something about him b!thcing @ Rudy or something.

I'm sure he'll shine in Manilla. He has enough game that he can be the big fish in that (relatively) little pond. He'll be fun to watch.

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Rhodes was the one player that the Rockets wouldn't trade that stymied the Stodamire trade. If that trade would have went down, we'd probably be saddled by a big contract, would not have won another title anyway, and would have never got Francis. So Rhodes turned out to be more valuable than he would have ever thought.

14. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I miss Wodwick Wodes....

:(

15. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I dont think so. I last visited my birthplace in Manila back in '95 and Sam Mack was playing down there and was quoted as a NBA star that played with San Antonio. It was amazing how the Rocks got respect down there. I remember I saw ALOT of people wearing Olajuwon jerseys and other Rockets clothes. But then again, they are probably just cheering on the champions cuz in 93, it was all Bulls, then again, thats how it was everywhere.

16. bury3

bury3 Member

You're right. Everyone here is now wearing Lakers outfits. If there's one thing I don't like are people jumping on the winner bandwagon (or the Jordan bandwagon). Then again, I'm sure it doesn't only happen here in Manila.

Rockets forever, man.

Anyway, Rhodes was in a press conference yesterday and he says he wishes to get to know his teammates better. Now there's a generic statement if I ever heard one. :rolleyes:

Oh, and Sam Mack was also here some years ago. Before his stint as a Rocket. I remember that he got shipped out because of his ineffectivity, which is why it surprised me that he stayed for a while with the Rockets and some other teams in the league.

17. PeteChilcuttFan

Joe Stephens? The self-proclaimed defensive stopper ? Well he was with the Bucks for a bit, a year or two back. But I guess Milwaukee realized that they couldn't have him and Cassell on the same team. ;)

18. cometsluv4play

19. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Joe Stephans graudated from my high school alum, North Shore High School here in the eastside of Houston. During the summer time he has basketball camps for the youngsters around here.

20. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

1...2...3...WORK IS HARD!!!!

That's why he left Pitino to go to USC.