1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rodman, another former NBA great, to slam Lebron James!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by t_mac1, Aug 13, 2010.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

you can argue rodman was like the bill russell of our generation. not a great scorer (actually a worse scorer than russell), but he was dominant in the other parts of the game.

for a stretch of 7 years, he averaged 15+ rebounds. and he's arguably a top 2-3 defender at the PF position of ALL TIME. i wouldn't be mad if someobody said he was the bset defender at his position.

watching him and the greatest scoring PF of all time (karl malone) go at it in the 96 finals was something to behold.

the bulls basically had a top 5 defender of all time at the SG, SF, PF position during those 3peat years.

it's a shame people don't recognize rodman more. his off-court antics (and some on-court) shouldn't diminish what he was as a player: a GREAT NBA player.

1 person likes this.
  2. t_mac1

"only" 2 things great. defense and rebounding are what win championships brother. and that was how the lakers, celtics, and all the champions are great at. and he did them at the highest level as you can get.

ben wallace's highest rebounding average was 15. rodman averaged that or more for a stretch of SEVEN years. so no, he was not as good as dennis rodman.

rodman faced tougher big men back then (let's be real, big men nowadays or when ben wallace was at his peak are mediocre, with only shaq, duncan, KG).

and wallace's peak was what? 2-3 years? rodman puts up MUCH BETTER stats when he was 35 or 36.

so no, ben wallace was not as good as rodman. he was close at his peak, and his peak was too short anyways.

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

not really Wallace was a good numbers guy, he got blocks and rebounds but his actual man defense was not very good because he was undersized. Rodman while not a threat to block shots was by far the superior rebounder and man defender Wallace ever was. Rodman was one of the best at his craft and at least out of the players I have witnessed play is easily the best rebounder I have ever seen. Rodman could score as he did with the detroit teams, but as he moved from the spurs and then to the bulls his strengths of defense and rebounding were much more needed than scoring.

Rodman probably would have won more DPOYs in his career were it not for the likes of Hakeem, Deke and Mourning all playing in their primes during his prime.

As crazy as Rodman was off the court (sometimes on the court) the guy flat outhustled everyone on a nightly basis.

(this by no means to discredit Wallace who is also a defender that will be remembered in the history books but more to emphasize that Rodman was still superior to him--once again this is just my opinion from having seen both play)

1 person likes this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rodman was unbelievable...

An NBA great for SURE...

5. BROOKS & DONE

BROOKS & DONE Member

Neither one could win a title on their own so welcome to the shaq level guys.

6. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Scottie Pippen lead the Bulls to 50+ win season without Jordan. If that's not carrying a team then ur either a idiot or a serious Lebron stan.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You never cease to amaze. Not sure what the Spurs were thinking, trading Bill Russell for Will Perdue.

8. t_mac1

did i say he was bill russell? his game is similar in terms of statline - he was a worse scorer, but rebounds and defense were superior to the rest of the L -- like what russell was during his time.

it's like when people say tracy mcgrady was the oscar robertson of our time. does that mean tmac was just as good? no, it's saying tmac was the all-around player during his era like oscar was for his.

if i said he was like bill, i would have said rodman was a top 2-3 PF of all time. jesus.

9. verse

verse Contributing Member

Pippen finished top 3 in MVP votes that season IIRC. You are correct: There is no debating his performance that season.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Didn't I just said something similar?
    ||
    vv

1 person likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You can't carry a team by just doing rebounding and defense. Rodman can't carry a team because he doesn't play any offense except grabbing offensive boards.

He is a super role player, maybe the greatest role player of all time. But you don't build your team around a Rodman. You build your team around a franchise player WITH a Rodman.

1 person likes this.
  12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

not really and it could be more of how you said it that many have changed your intent

t_mac1 said wallace at his peak was close to Rodman's production

you said at his peak Wallace was at least as good as Rodman.... <-- to me that is implying that at his peak Wallace at worst was Rodman like and probably was better.

I am sure t_mac1 understood it as such too I am not sure if your original intent was to say that Wallace at his peak played nearly as well as Rodman did, if it was it wasnt articulated as such.

either way i think we all agree this

Rodman>>>>Wallace>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brian Cook

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Except for those times he took off his shoes and laid down by the bench.

I'm not disputing the guy had talent, but if you say "NBA Great" there's a certain mentality that goes with that phrase... Bird, Magic, Dream, Jordan. You don't think Rodman. Sure, Rodman could summon it up at times, but it was usually when the game was on national TV or in the playoffs. Because of that, he's a role player in my book.

He averaged double figures in scoring once in his career. He's barely a 50% free throw shooter. Hack-a-Worm was invented before Shaq arrived. His rebounding totals went down significantly in the playoffs, as did his "scoring." He was often out of offensive or defensive position because he was focused so much on rebounding.

Career averages: 7.3 points, 13.1 rebounds, 1.8 assists, 0.7 steals, 0.6 blocks. One of those is not like the other. Not great. Role player.

14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

He was also only a handful of players that could guard any player at any position...

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Fair enough about the defense. Rodman was quicker and more crafty. Wallace was stronger and more imposing in the paint. So they were different kinds of defenders.

I don't agree with the scoring part. Rodman was never a scorer, even in his Detroit days. He just scored on layups off of dumps from teammates or putbacks. In the latter part of his career, he almost "hated" shooting. A lot of times, I saw him grab an offensive rebound with nobody between him and the basket and he passed it out to his teammate, not even bother to look at the rim.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

17. T_Man

Actually no player in the NBA could win a title on their own...

Shaq, Wilt or MJ...

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Definitely agreed with the Cook part. :grin:

19. T_Man

Rodman like Russell could score, but they both unserstood their role and they were not needed to score.

That's the difference between a team player and a ME player..

Rodman College Stats

MIN FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG TPG BPG SPG PPG
    82-83 Cooke Co ... 61.6 58.2 13.3 ... ... ... ... 17.6
    83-84 SEOklaSt ... 61.8 65.5 13.1 0.8 2.5 1.0 1.0 26.0
    84-85 SEOklaSt ... 64.8 56.6 15.9 0.4 2.8 1.3 1.2 26.8
    85-86 SEOklaSt ... 64.5 65.5 17.8 0.8 3.4 1.6 1.8 24.4
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    SOSU TOTALS ... 63.7 62.5 15.7 0.6 3.0 1.3 1.4 25.7

#39 T_Man, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  20. Landry92

Landry92 Member

Ya Pippen won what 6 rings man he's better than Lebron .. I guess that also make Ariza and Artest better than Lebron ..

Man since when did people started quoting DENNIS RODMAN ..