1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roderick Rhodes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swift_FAN4, Jul 17, 2000.

1. Swift_FAN4

Swift_FAN4 Member

Hey i just saw on espns bottom line that he was waived by the mavericks. With the new offense and all do you guys think he would be a good pick up for the team. The guy is a slasher that can play the 3,2, and the the point. Hes about 6 "6" to give us some size if he does play the point causing some missmatch problems. He would be a nice guy to get if we can trade Drew for a quality big man or for some future draft picks. What do you guys think?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Swift_FAN4 (edited July 17, 2000).]

2. payaso

payaso Member

He didn't leave the rocks on real good terms... hard to see that one.

------------------
    It takes a lot of brains to enjoy satire, humor and wit- but none to be offended by them.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I just want to know how the "mismatch" at the point would help us if Rhodes was playing there? He doesn't actually have any offensive skills to be able to take advantage of his height..... so the mismatch would be the smaller points scooting past him?

------------------

4. alaskansnowman

I would like to see Roderick play for us, but as PAYASO said, he didnt leave on good terms.

NOw if he truly wants to play for us, then he can beg Rudy and I'm sure Rudy will let him play. But there's really no room for him. PG slot is filled with Norris and Francis. SG has Mobley and Shandon. SF has shandon and Walt and Bull. If Rhodes plays Sf, there's less time for Shandon, and in turn less time for Mobley.

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

5. Swift_FAN4

Swift_FAN4 Member

Actually Roderick is very athletic and is probably capable of keeping up with the smaller gaurds but the mismatch would be is he would just be posting up against them. A 6 6 guy posting over a 5 "11"- 6"3" guy

------------------

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

yeah lets get back a player who has no offensive game whatsoever and has been cut by numerous teams to help out our already full back court, cool this move will help us get better.

------------------
    Stuff BBS, the Rockets and you guys

It's all Clippers these days, come join the bandwagon and visit

http://www.ClippersCity.net

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Just because he's taller doesn't mean he can post them up... you still gotta know what to do once you get in the post. Rhodes wouldn't. He'd probably get the ball and be like "uh oh... what now" - remember he has NO OFFENSIVE SKILLS! Plus putting the point guard in the post... doesn't happen terribly often (for obvious reasons)

------------------

8. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Rudy got rid of him because he wasn't willing to work on his game. nuff said.

------------------
    "Get up, stand up. Stand up for your right"-Bob Marley

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Too bad because he had VERY good defensive skills, and could really pass the ball.

This is what happens when talent and attitude don't mix.

A shame, because I REALLY liked his potential.

DaDakota

------------------

10. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

With Backcourt 2000 Roderick has been erased from my memory.

------------------
    please venture to atheistalliance and rocketsonline
    I AM SPARTACUS

11. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

Actually Rudy got rid of him because Rhodes wanted to shoot more and Rudy wanted to use him more as a defensive presence. Rhodes actually was willing to work on his game. The offseason before he tore a muscle it was well documented that he was working to improve his shooting. He just did not want to play within his role on the team.

------------------

12. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Thats true Siv, Rudy found him tough to coach because of his attitude.

------------------
    "Get up, stand up. Stand up for your right"-Bob Marley

13. TraJ

TraJ Member

Perhaps now that Rhodes has taken a little tour through the NBA, he'll be ready to play within his role. There's no doubt in my mind that Rhodes fits better with this team than he did when he was here before. I think Rhodes' offense would be better on the new look Rockets, because he was a slasher in college. And if Mobley decideds to go to Toronto, we could do worse in my opinion. We'll have to sign somebody to back up Shandon one way or another if that happens.

------------------