1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rodeo Barbecue Cookoff

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketMan Tex, Feb 23, 2007.

1. heypartner

heypartner Member

RocketMan Tex,

Generally, when are these BBQ masters timing their briskets for slicing...ie, what is the prime hour to sample brisket. I figured maybe they are they pulling most of them for sending to the judges at a certain time?

Pole and Rocketman95,

Guys, if you have a spare wristband or could mention my name to a tent, I'd really like to sample more than one tent.

2. Khal80

Khal80 Member

if you pay the $6 entrance fee, do they still have the public bud light tents?

i remember going one year and we didnt have any wrist bands but all the beer was free? wondering if thats still the case

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

HeyP....get there around 6:30 PM and you will be golden. That seems to be when they are serving it up and the crowds haven't gotten too big yet.

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

Nope. They have public beer tents, but you have to pay for your beer.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'm going tomorrow night for the first time. Getting into one of the tents with a friend.

6. Buck Turgidson

Pretty sure they do all the judged cooking on Saturday & turn it in early afternoon, results announced that night.

7. Khal80

Khal80 Member

that sucks....really sucks

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

I agree with you, but it has gotten soooo large that they have to have sponsors to put it on.

9. heypartner

heypartner Member

is this true....or is it that it has gotten soooo large that the sponsors *want* to put it on now.

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

Not IMHO. I believe that the sheer size of it makes it impossible for individual cookoff teams to cover the cost of the food, booze, space rental, etc., and that is why they turn to local companies and corporations with a local presence to underwrite it. The corporations use money out of their advertising/promotion budgets, and then hand out wristbands to clients, business partners, etc. As the city has grown, so has the rodeo.

11. heypartner

heypartner Member

RocketMan Tex

so, since one wristband is so hard to come by, how do you ever get to sample multiple BBQ masters.

someone told me that one wristband can get you into every tent if you know what you are doing...what does that mean and is that true.

if not, how do you get to sample multiple tents like you said you did Thursday.

12. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

It sucks. It's crappy.

Without a wrist band it's even crappier.

I had a wrist band last year. Getting free food was okay, but I really wanted to walk around, get variety, and enjoy the entire cookoff.

You can't get into other people's tents.
    The place is too big to walk around.
    There's no free stuff.

You get to a point where you wonder, "Why do I pay money to get into here, when there's almost nothing to do once I'm in?"

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

I sampled multiple tents (3) because I had a wristband/pass for each tent. The only people I have ever seen that had only one wristband but got into every tent were extremely hot chicks.

14. heypartner

heypartner Member

so, if I give my wristband to an extremely hot chick, she could probably not only get herself into each tent, but me as well...right?!

This is actually a serious question. I'm trying to maximize my single wristband.

i think it can be done...but i'm risking my own pass to one tent to maximize what a hottie can do for me....

tricky situation

15. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

Go for it! If I may provide consultation...I believe a large amount of adult beverages might help lubricate the situation to fruition! :D

16. Khal80

Khal80 Member

i got lucky and bought some "bands" on craigslist and they turned out to be "pins" which are good for all three days......

17. heypartner

heypartner Member

haha,,, you're talking about doing it stag and the event offering my wristband to hotties on site.

i'm talking about 2 friends of mine who are hotties...this freaking rain isn't helping me right now...so i'll probably have to fall back to your idea of the on-site hotties.

damn....well, i'm off to Valhalla and the train...if I get just one master brisket...i'll be happy.

btw: i'll be so pissed if Pole and Rocketman95 chime in later to say they didn't use their wristbands when I asked them for help...grrrrrrrrrr

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Definitely not going tonight. My wife's Catholic and forgot she can't eat meat on Fridays. Oh well.

19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Man....I've got ten wristbands.

Just kidding.....I have no wristbands, and sorry....didn't see your earlier post. I had one verbal invite and one written invite that required an RSVP to get tickets. Sorry......wouldn't have been any help anyway.

20. JaWindex

JaWindex Member

Did you go see O.C.M.S.?