1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rod Strickland: Retired?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jul 14, 2003.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Any interest?

How much would he be asking for?

Where is he anyway?

I always like his game. He ain't doing it for anyone else. Why not give him a shout. See if he will come.

Rocket River

2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

ehhhh how old is he?

3. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I don't care how old he is. He's better than Mooch. He was one of the top pg's in the 90's and would be capeable of playing behind Steve and with Steve since they both have different strengths.

4. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Member

I would definately be in support of giving him a shot at the right price. He is way better than Mooch.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Wasn't he warming pine for the timber-pups this year?

6. mfclark

mfclark Member

Well, not exactly warming pine - he played solidly, even started a few games IIRC - but he was with Minny last year. I believe he signed mid-season, though.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How much did he make in Minn?

Rocket River

8. munco

munco Member

Strickland can still flat out play and he's tough guy. He was really slowed by injuries this year, but he's still got game. Definitely getting old, but he could definitely play some valuable minutes on any team.

9. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

Why would ANYONE want that effing a-hole on this team?

Yeah, let's get Strickland & Sheed on the team. :rolleyes:

10. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

What makes Strick a effing a-hole?

11. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

Here's a sample that took me 30 seconds to find:

Strickland was also the only one arrested during a sweep of a D.C. bar last fall. Statham got those charges dropped by arguing, among other things, that the arrest wouldn't have happened if the cops hadn't known they were dealing with a star. Statham successfully defended Strickland against 1999 DUI and reckless-driving charges filed against him after cops said he ran red lights and sped through Northwest Washington. Strickland allegedly had refused a Breathalyzer and failed field sobriety tests administered by the cops. According to news accounts, he signed autographs for jurors outside the courtroom after being acquitted.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Strickland was arrested again for DUI for swerving on the George Washington Memorial Parkway in January 2001 and pleaded guilty. The Wizards waived him in March and gave him several million dollars extra to void his contract with the team. He finished out last season with Portland. In the years before he became a Wizard, Strickland had reportedly been involved in brawls in Chicago, New York, and San Antonio, and his scuffle with teammate Tracey Murray during a 1997 road trip left both with minor injuries, according to news accounts.

Strickland is scheduled to go to court for the assault charge on Jan. 7. (Statham will not be representing Strickland at trial this time around, because he was with the alleged basketbrawler the night of the incident and could be called as a witness. Meanwhile, last week, the attorney consented to be disbarred as of Nov. 30, settling a case brought against him by his former law firm for misappropriation of funds.)

BLAH BLAH

Strickland will also soon face civil suits related to the T.G.I.F. matter, according to Murphy's attorney, John P. Valente. He says that Strickland's actions, not his bank account, inspired the litigation. "I'm going to have three witnesses, including my client, say that Rod Strickland, with a closed fist, punched my client in the face," Valente says. "He punched a female who was defenseless. I don't care if he's a basketball player or a garbage man—you're not supposed to punch defenseless people in the face."

------

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that we have enough troubles right now on this team ... I don't think we need another headache. Do you?

Even if he didn't punch that woman in the face, or drive drunk, or smoke his pot, or whatever ...

Sorry for calling him a "effing A-Hole." I guess I should have used "troublemaking crybaby a-hole" instead. :rolleyes:

If he had a world of talent, perhaps I could overlook his problems, but he's not even that good anymore.

#11 Gene the PIG, Jul 15, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2003