1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rod Beck Dead

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rocketfan83, Jun 24, 2007.

1. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I really liked him growing up

RIP

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2914994

Rod Beck dies at 38

Rod Beck, who saved 286 games in a 13-year major league career, has died at the age of 38.

The cause of death is unknown at this time. Beck died alone at his Arizona home. Police are investigating, but no foul play is suspected, the Arizona Republic reported on its Web site.

Beck, who played for the Giants, Cubs, Red Sox and Padres, was a three-time All-Star and saved a career-best 51 games with the Cubs in 1998.

Barry Bonds, who played with Beck on the Giants from 1993 until 1997, said he was shocked.

"It comes as a complete shock. We all just found out. He was a great guy, great for us when he was here," Bonds said, according to MLB.com.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

well part of his image was living hard. didn't smoke in the bullpen? not saying it isn't sad, its just the first thing I thought about.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I had him in fantasy leagues when I was younger. I def. had him during his 1st year with the Cubs...which was awesome. Too bad, but yeah, he def. didn't do good things for himself off the field..

4. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

when i saw this i was like what the ****, rod beck?

then the pieces starting putting themselves together since most pitchers in decent shape don't die at 38.

off the field troubles would explain it.

5. Kam

Kam Member

Dude was kinda fat and huge.

he had some awesome hair.

too young.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Yeah, it's sad. Dude didn't look like he exactly lived a healthy lifestyle though. My guess is heart attack.

7. A-Train

A-Train Member

Along with Fernando Valenzuela, one of the best fat pitchers of our generation...

8. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Just heard the news, dead at 38! That's scary! Sad story, he may not have been the best pitcher but I remember him being a very competitive pitcher. He wasn't afraid of throwing to the big hitters. R.I.P. Beck.