1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rocketscast Live] 06/04/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tallanvor, Jun 4, 2013.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>Rocketscast Live begins now. Here's the link: <a href="http://t.co/pIf0sbHjUO">http://t.co/pIf0sbHjUO</a> We're talking NBA Finals and free agency. Come join us.</p>&mdash; Jason Friedman (@JasonCFriedman) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonCFriedman/statuses/341947478083526657">June 4, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

I really like listening to the shows and or read highlights of it, but I am having difficulty finding any information for it on NBA.com. Is the above link correct?

3. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Link is not correct

4. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

5. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

6. jvu

jvu Member

For those who don't have time..

Recap Break down:

NBA Finals 0:01-27:20
    JF's Free Agency article, Finding flexible contract type players who can outperform contract (delfino/dalembert), chance on cp3/ dwight 27:20-36:30
    Luis takes dream job to buccaneers 36:30-40:00
    Can dwight/asik FC work? 40:00-48:00
    David weiner scenario chris andrrson etc close 48:08-

7. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Most telling thing for me was that they both enthusiastically agreed that playing Asik and Dwight together would work, making us a top 5 defensive team and giving us a way to win against Miami and other top teams.

It seems so much of the discussion on this board has been about secondary trade scenarios after we get Dwight because there would be no need for Asik. These guys seem to be insiders and really gave good insight on how Asik / Howard twin tower pairing would work.

I'm inclined to think from hearing this that the plan is to acquire Dwight OR Smith NOT Dwight and Smith.

Really interested to see how the Twin Towers are gonna work. If its a success, we could have something really special in Houston next season.

8. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

I think this is their priorities:

1. Dwight & CP3
    2. Dwight & Josh Smith
    3. Dwight
    4. Other

The likelyhood of having scenarios 1 or 2 come off are remote because of the other teams in play. Getting Dwight just means clearing the required cap room. So if I were to put a % on the likelyhood:

1. 5%
    2. 10%
    3. 50%
    4. 35%

9. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Man, I really need to contribute so I can edit.

The follow up to my post above is that the likelyhood of just getting Dwight far outweighs the getting Dwight and another star player. As such the discussion around Dwight and Asik playing together are warranted.

10. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

at the end, they seem to be hinting that Jason may be getting promoted to something soon... interesting....

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No way. We're wasting at least half a season of contention if we play Asik and Howard together for major minutes. A recipe for disaster on a team with Lin and Harden. A recipe for disaster in terms of teams fouling us late in games - why should we have to go to a less talented plan B to confront hacking strategies, when we can make our plan A primary strategy hack-proof?

I fully expect Asik to develop, but nothin is for certain. To put a guy who, at this moment, is unable to shoot from distance or hit a FT next to another guy with the exact same weakness would AT LEAST negate the defensive advantage we would gain.

I'm not so worried about it because, in my own opinion, Morey would never ever go for it unless his hands were tied.

12. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Playing two hack-a-___ targets together actually negates one of them's weakness, because the Rockets' poor free throw shooting on every given possession happens no matter it's one or two of them who are on the court, whereas their separate defensive advantage cumulates.

13. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

There may be some reason to trade Asik if DH really happens, but this is not one of them.

1. this strategy doesn't work anyway , if a guy hits 1 free throw you just gave a foul away for nothing other than stopping the clock, if he hits both your now in a bigger hole than where just started at. it doesn't take a mathematician to see that this strategy only works when guys really can't hit a FT to save their live, not the 50ish range Asik Howard lives at, but likes 30% ish FT shooter, if a guy hits only 30% FT he really wouldn't be in the NBA anyway.

2. There is no difference having both if they're going to hack , unless you have neither. they'll always go for the lowest percentage guys anyway. having one or 5 on the floor doesn't make a difference here. having a guy that might get you an offensive board however....

If there is any real worry of Asik + Howard, it would be transition defense, which we're already pretty horrible at. having two slower guys doesn't help much here, then again, if we go low power more we probably won't have as many live ball turn over on the outside which leads to a million transition points, not to mention we're more likely to contest every rebound.

IF we get Howard (I still say it's a bigger IF than most ppl think) I'm almost certain Morey / McHale will try it out.

14. MONON

MONON Member

Sure wish Miami was as short sighted as you. They wasted a whole season learning how to play the big 3 together. Yes there'll be a lot of growing pains. We had them this year incorporating Harden into the rotation. That's to be expected, but the rewards far out weigh the risks!

My original main concern with Howard & Asik on the court together was the free throws. However, Asik's performance when the Thunder tried that ploy alleviated those fears. Howard shoots them well in practice, someone mentioned 80%, so I feel the less stressful overall atmosphere in Houston will increase his percentage.

In short, I'm onboard with a Asik/Howard front court. fwiw

15. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

I've been one of the front runners in saying Dwight at the 4 makes more sense than Dwight at the 5. I think they would become an incredible tandem. As for those who think driving lanes will be hurt, all u do is attack the lane with Dwight and Asik at the elbow/corner, and have them follow in. Putback dunks/Rebs happen by people who jump last, not first, as in contesting a shot. Besides, I think Montiejunas' game will be far better this year, and the Dwight/Asik together will happen at the front of quarters, where hack-a-whoever hurts the fouling team (because u don't take FT's early) by putting us in the bonus early, with Howard/Dmo finishing quarters 1/3 and Omer/Dmo finishing 2/4 (unless Howard magically learns to shoot FT's). I think this year's Rox will be more old-school and bang, more post ups, 0 mid range, lots of PnR, lots of transition. And the Transition D will be better, cuz Howard runs the floor