1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets wrapping up deal with Ronnie Brewer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

That's crazy talk.

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

With 19 on the roster now, its time to speculate who will be lucky number 20. i think Morey may want to go with someone similar to Shaun Livingston of 2013. Heres a list of vets who i feel could challenge for the last roster spot on this team. (forgive me if someone of the list has been signed, this is off my knowledge)

Mickael Pietrus
    Michael Redd
    DeShawn Stevenson
    Jerry Stackhouse
    Troy Murphy
    Hedo Turkoglu

Besides Troy Murphy, all these players have are give or take around the 6'6 range of height, something Morey has been attracted to when you look at Garcai, Reggie, Cassipi and now Brewer. Out of all of these vets i would lean towards Stevenson as my preferred player to earn a partially guarenteed contract with a team option in the 2nd year however, i feel no one left could actually win a spot on this roster but instead, teach our kids in training camp and make them work their backsides off to earn a spot

However if i were to put on my GMs hat on i would side with someone who has shown some progression over the recent years and has a proven ability to knock down the three. Enter AJ Price who shot the e ball at a respectable 35% last year and with a quick release should make GM's happy. The knock i would give on AJ is his inablity to stay healthy however, all AJ would have to do is stay healthy for a one month span and try to beat out brewer, my love child "covington" and lastly reggie Williams.

(AJ price's shot chart from 2012-2013 season in which he shot 35% from deep as a 26 year old and also his performance against the mighty Heatles a game i personally watched and became fasciated with him.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6ii8c2zC-o0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Even if AJ got cut, his contributions that he could make to the vipers would be huge. i could easily see him as a 15ppg+ guy due to his combination of athleticism and shooting ability.

So CF's when you see woj tweet that the rockets are close to signing AJ Price or if they go with the veteran road of Stevenson. remember where you heard it first. VOA

3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

its time to stop posting

4. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

One of 2 guys with a player option.. you're right.

5. Voice of Aus

"Excel Sports would love to steer another client, A.J. Price, over to the T-Wolves, according to Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN (on Twitter). However, the front office is reluctant to add a 15th player with a guaranteed deal. If Price doesn't get an NBA deal, he says that he's willing to explore his options overseas

When the Wizards locked up Eric Maynor at the start of free agency more than a month ago, it was a given that A.J. Price wouldn’t return.

Price, who had the best statistical season of his four-year career with 7.7 pints, 3.6 assists and 35% three-point shooting in Washington, surprisingly still is a free agent."\

Article on AJ Price, who may be overseas in 2013-2014. (please come to Australia)

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Maybe Orlando still wants him around lol. I don't see the use for him, if the Rox weren't interested with Al Harrington I'd be really surprised if they signed Turk.

I don't think Casspi or Brewer are eligible to play in the dleague, either way it wouldn't do any good because dleague or not they will still count towards the 15 man roster of the rox. Not sure why that paragraph of your suddenly leads to Covington being a lock lol.

You're gonna get a ton of crap for this statement. Garcia was an integral part of last year's team, no way he'd be cut to keep any of the other mins.

Agree with you on this, big fan of Lin but with Bev, Brooks and Canaan there's no reason to pay 8M for a superior pg when you can all 3 of these guys for 6M combined. Question is how high is Lin's market value? If we can get Ilyasova for Dmo and Lin DM's the best GM in the league hands down. Greg Smith is the prime candidate to be on the chopping but as CH said everybody knows we're selling and trying to low ball us or wait for players to get waived. Let's see what happens but if we can unload some of these guys for assets that would be awesome, mainly because most of these guys came free.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Casspi and Brewer can't be sent to D League without their consent. Canaan, Young, Covington, Henriquez, Motiejunas, Jones, Greg Smith, Parsons, and Beverley are the only that could be sent from 15 man roster without their consent (unless they go Royce White). The other players can be placed on inactive list, though.

8. Voice of Aus

Question can you only be sent down if your on your rookie contract? Or is it done by how many years your in the league?

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Years in the league

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Turkoglu would be the obvious choice if he could be had on the right contract (something between a Ronnie Brewer contract and an Aaron Brooks contract).

The argument against Hedo over the last 2 years isn't that he is complete trash at the game of basketball, but mostly revolves around his former horrendous contract & the steroid incident.

For the Rockets he could actually be a nice player in this system... even if only for a stop-gap for a year. No offense to Casspi, Garcia, & Williams, but he is an upgrade talent wise from other 3/4 veterans the Rockets current have in place... assuming he's healthy and in shape.

One thing that has always been consistent with Hedo is his ability to hit the 3. He's a career 38% three point shooter that has shown to play well with Dwight. He's not going to be a defensive & rebounding force, but I really doubt they need him to be that at the start of the season. In the playoffs, you will probably need more defensively from that position.

Nobody will deny that there are question marks about Jones & D-Mo's ability to be effective as early as November and trustworthy enough to start alongside the other core 4 starters. I think Hedo gives someone they can have as a stop gap insurance player if Jones & D-Mo dont knock it out of the park in training camp.

The other veterans you listed really serve no purpose IMO. Hedo represents the best talent available for the needs they have.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

If you look at all the guys we already have, think about who Morey has added on the cheap. How many of those guys has clearly had his best year behind him already? I can only think of Brooks, Garcia, and possibly Brewer.

Everybody else, Williams Casspi Canaan Covington Young Henriquez, etc is projectable. Each has some small, finite percentage of breaking out, not into superstardom but into something more valuable than what they are at this point.

I think when it comes to these roster moves where you know the majority won't stick with the team, Morey likes to aim for underrated talent with the potential to improve. With competition, the cream will rise to the top, and the team will keep whichever player most fits what needs we have. Garcia and Brooks were incumbents who, while not having much chance to improve, do offer a high level of play with veteran leadership. Keeping them on board is a sign that Morey is finally starting to shift his goals towards winning now, but I don't think that it's any sign that he's going to start going after over the hill mercenary vets that you just listed who have had success in the past and are in no way, shape, or fashion going to give you anything to close to their peak level of play.

And for all we lament about how long in the tooth such players are as Brooks, Garcia, and Brewer, they're still all relatively young compared to the rest of the league. This team has so much potential it's nuts.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

3 years or less of NBA service.

13. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Morey must play 2k lol...Brewers defense is sick on 2k almost overrated cause he can hold anybody...he sill be my starting pf on the game...even though he's 6'6 he can rebound

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Really hard for me to see Brewer making the roster. Maybe Morey hopes that he magically becomes the player he was 5 years ago, but as it stands, he is REALLY bad. If he wasn't the worst offensive player in the NBA the last two seasons, he had to have been in the worst 5 at least.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Nope. There are a lot of guys that don't stick in the NBA, rookies, and big lugs that are worse.

From Rockets last season, Cook, Aldrich, and Robinson were worse. This doesn't include guys like Machado and Ohlbrecht that saw less than 100 minutes.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Weird thing about Brewer: His midrange 16-23 foot 2 pointer % dropped down from 46% in 2007-08, to 40%, then 36%, then 32% then finally 25% last season. I know he has an arm injury that messes up his J but seems strange that he gets worse each year on jump shots.

The Rockets don't need Brewer from 5 years ago, the Brewer from 2011-12 would work just fine. He played 24+mpg for a 50-16 Bulls team so at least he wasn't bad enough to cause that many losses when he had good teammates.

17. pass_to_Hakeem

Drop Reggie Williams!!! Is Reggie Willams a good defender????? We don't need EVERYBODY on our roster to shoot minus Dwight, we will need defenders too!!!

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

I don't necessarily disagree.

People talking about how bad he is on offense or what not. Well, he's not being brought in for his offense. Question is, how good is his defense? Great? Good? Okay? Serviceable? Slipping? Non-existent?

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

3 point shooting and defense appear to be the top two skills Rockets are looking for in reserves.

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

How bad/subpar/awful Brewer's offensive skills are is just as relevant as how good/great/okay Brewer's defense is. It's not like he plays one and not the other.