1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets wrapping up deal with Ronnie Brewer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Aug 19, 2013.

1. leangle25

leangle25 Member

Possible scenario is Trying all of them out during training camp as well as pre season games and see who will fit in the rockets system. My guess i Greg will be traded for picks before the seasons starts so we can include both Ronnie and Omri in the roster. We will definitely waive Young and Henriquez unless they prove themselves during pre-season with limited time.

2. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I don't know why you are so high on Brewer. This guy can't shoot and lost his athleticism after the injury. I doubt that he will make the team. On the other hand Casspi is fully guaranteed, he will make the team for sure imo.

3. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

It's too early to discuss the roster.
    It needs the observation and valuation after playing pre-season

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Patman87, I think you are a little confused about the D-League assignment rules.

Any player who the Rockets want to retain rights over must be included on the final 15-man roster. Subsequently sending that player down to the D-League does not alleviate the Rockets of having to keep the player on the 15-man roster. The roster spot remains occupied until they WAIVE that player. Isaiah Canaan is almost guaranteed to be on the final 15-man roster (Canaan's contract is guaranteed for $2,144,818 out of a possible $2,334,273); and Robert Covington (guaranteed $640,180) has a legit shot at another one of those 15 roster spots.

What Joe Joe was explaining about the "3 players with D-League Affiliate Rights" refers to players who are waived/released from an NBA's training camp and who did not play on another D-League team the prior season. The waiving/releasing team's D-League Affiliate (in the Rockets' case, the RGV Vipers) will have exclusive D-League rights to up to 3 such players. SUCH EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS ONLY APPLY TO OTHER D-LEAGUE TEAMS. Those players are free to sign contracts overseas; and ANY other NBA team can sign those players to an NBA contract at any time. Most likely, B.J. Young (if not claimed off waivers) and Jordan Henriquez (who I doubt gets claimed off waivers) will end up on the Vipers . . . IF they don't choose to play overseas and they don't get any other NBA offers.

I hope this clarifies things for purposes of your roster determinations.

5. Fantasma Negro

First off what up Bima
    Secondly what I was trying to say is that the rockets are gonna do what they did last year with Jones. He'll start the season on the roster but not in the rotation and then they'll send him down to the valley. I think Joe got confused and thought I meant Canaan was gonna get cut. The point I was trying to make was that he won't crack the rotation this season

1 person likes this.
  6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A couple notes:

1. Ronnie Brewer suffered a mensicus injury in September 2012 that required him to be out 6 weeks after surgery: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/9/7/3300902/ronnie-brewer-injury-knee-new-york-knicks

There are many different degrees of meniscus injury, but some meniscus injuries can affect a player's performance for quite some time. For example, Jeremy Lin had his meniscus injury during the 2011-12 season and wasn't quite himself for the first couple months of 2012-13.

So, I wonder if Morey is betting on Brewer's ineffective 2012-13 season being something that could be remedied with more time to recover from his prior injury. Who knows how effective he or any of the other minimum wage signees will be but it's worth a partially guaranteed minimum contract to find out. The guy was playing 20+ mpg for a very good Bulls team from 2010-12.

2. Kind of douchey to quote myself, but I said when Camby signed and the roster size was 18 that I fully expect Morey to keep on filling up the roster until it hits the maximum of 20 because it's what "salmon mother" approach would dictate and it doesn't cost the Rockets any flexibility to sign a few extra guys and later waive them even if you have to pay them some guaranteed money: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8160593&postcount=177

So, we are at 19 now, 1 more spot to go (though frankly if they have 2 or more guys they want to sign, they can just start waiving some of their BJ Young/Jordan Henriquez types). We'll see who becomes available. My guess is that the Rockets are waiting for Hedo Turkoglu or another veteran to get bought out. In any case, it doesn't hurt for them to keep signing the best players available to minimum contracts (just have to eat the money if waived) even if the team has 15+ guaranteed contracts. The issue with having a more full roster is that a free agent might prefer a team that is less full so they have a higher chance of making the team.

3. It is always hard to make a deal when you have to cut the roster down to 15. Other teams know that you have to waive somebody and will take advantage of the situation either by waiting to just pick up a waived player or at least lowball you on a desirable player. Also, many other teams will be making roster cuts by the end of preseason so it's not gonna be a seller's market.

As such, the Rockets may well have to waive a player that they like and think may be useful.

That said, I can see the Rockets getting a deal done with maybe the Sixers. The team has a few prospects that Sam Hinkie may have had a hand in scouting and picking: DMo, Jones, Canaan, Greg Smith and the rebuilding Sixers are likely looking for young prospects. Maybe something like one of these guys for a future 2nd round pick or Furkan Aldemir (if his draft rights can be traded back to HOU this soon)?

#246 Carl Herrera, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    3 people like this.
  7. Reach

Reach Member

Brewers advance stats are extremely high across his career. You cant rely on him to create shots for the team, but he creates tons of extra possessions through steals and his superb rebounding. Great signing if he stays healthy.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Carl-

Everyone laughs at the thought of the Rockets throwing money at Hedo, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Morey was trying to get him on a Ronnie Brewer type of salary.

The only question is, would there be any team out there that might have the ability and the marbles to overpay to get Hedo???... Id say the money is pretty dry right now, but you never know.

Needless to say, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Morey was trying to make Hedo roster spot #20.

9. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Lin/Beverley
    Harden/Garcia
    Parsons/Casspi
    Jones/Montejunas
    Howard/Asik/Camby

D-League:
    Isaiah Canaan
    Robert Covington

Last 2 spots between 3 players:
    Brooks, Brewer, Smith

Out:
    Jordan Henriquez (Vipers maybe)
    BJ Young (Vipers maybe)
    Reggie Williams

My guess is Smith may be traded and Brooks and Brewer makes to the team.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I get Young and Henriquez, but why Williams? If he shoots well in camp, he can make the team.

11. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

I like this signing. He is a for sure capable back-up and I've always liked his game. He and Asik already have some chemistry from their chi-town days and will be good together on the second unit.

12. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Not to speak for AvgJoe and I frankly don't particular care either way, but the argument against Reggie Williams is simple: he plays no defense, sorta duplicates what Garcia and Casspi do on offense.

Brewer can't shoot, however he is a very good defender, so it might make sense to keep him, if only for match-up purposes, rather than keeping 3 guys that sorta do the same things.

13. AvgJoe

HMMMHMM pretty much sums it up. With Harden's lack of defense (or defense effort), we need more perimeter defense. With signing of Brewer, Williams is pretty much gone. This Rockets team bench is primarily defense focused. Asik/Beverley/Garcia and adding Brewer.

Having said that, you never know how these players will perform at the camp, so anything is possible of course.

14. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

He was good in NYK. He's a tremendous on-the-ball defender, and can hit timely shots like he did in Chicago. Just isn't a go-to shooter and an overall liability in that regard.

Nonetheless, excellent signing. I think his defense will keep him on the team, and rightfully so. He's now our best perimeter defensive player.

15. Nook

Nook Member

It all comes down to the 3-ball for Williams. If he hits 40%+, the Rockets will find a way to get him on the final roster and in the rotation. Hitting 3's at a high rate will be very important on this team especially.

16. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

Reggie will make the team.

17. AvgJoe

If Morey doesn't have the intention of trading Lin and Asik, yeah I can see William taking a spot over Brooks or Camby, but Brooks and Camby are here in case Lin and Asik are traded, so realistically speaking, William has to compete with Brewer, but I think defense backup for Harden has the edge over 3pt backup for Harden. We have enough 3 pt threat, Lin/Brooks can backup Harden in situations for offense, it is perimeter defense we really need.

Now if Casspi really sucks at the camp, it is possible William replaces him, but potential of Casspi playing backup stretch 4 is very intriguing, William may lose out on that...

18. rogower

rogower Member

Anybody understand why Orlando still hasn't worked out a buyout with Hedo Turkoglu yet? There is obviously a logical explanation. Turkoglu has been truly awful over the past year or two, and I will be surprised if the Rockets bother, but I'm still curious.

I am a little surprised that so many of you think that all three of the undrafted rookies get cut, simply because I don't understand the logic of sending a veteran such as Omri Casspi or Ronnie Brewer to play in the developmental league. Clearly this would be kind of an absurd result. Plus, the Rockets take the d-league seriously as a venue to develop young talent. I also can't imagine banishing either Terrence Jones or Donatas Motiejunas to the d-league again. For these reasons, I view Robert Covington as a virtual lock to make the roster.

One more observation: I do not consider Francisco Garcia a lock to make the rotation. Brewer is a good ballplayer. So is Omri Casspi.

Also, I'm starting to come around to the idea that Omer Asik may not get traded. I still think Jeremy Lin's a goner, though, probably to Milwaukee with Donatas Motiejunas for Ersan Ilyasova. And I still think you have to trade Greg Smith to a bad team for that team's 2014 second round pick (if they're bad then we're talking about a high second round pick here).

19. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

If only we could some how fuse Williams+brewer and Garcia+Casspi we wouldn't be worried about roster spots and have one of the dirtiest benches in the league. Looking at you scientists...

20. nemac

nemac Member

Need a gif of their faces on a goku/vegeta fusion dance