1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets' Worst Game Ever

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ShutURBiG!, Jan 8, 2015.

1. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Calm down, fellow Rockets fans, for 11 years ago, some of us witnessed the "worst" Rockets game ever, according to Michael Callahan (who?).

http://www.chron.com/chrontv/this-f...tten-Day-in-Houston-Rockets-Worst-5998492.php

Our current record is nothing to scoff at. We are in the process of incorporating new players into the offense, and they haven't had more than one decent practice to learn each others tendencies. Despite all this, Harden is a strong candidate to take the scoring title and possibly the MVP award!

Imagine how much better we'd be if the following happened:

-Ariza makes his 3's
    -Dwight scores in the post consistently
    -Smith completes passes that don't lead to turnovers
    -Harden adapts his game to fouls being called less

And there's more to this list. The Rockets will become stronger! They generally pick up the pace around/after All-Star break.

Continue supporting the team through the high and low moments, and be thankful we are not like we were 11 (or even 3) years ago!

(Not sure if this was posted already. If it is, just merge please!)

2. rockpileindisma

Lol skinny arms rob Lowe

3. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Worst game ever was against the Portland Trailblazers

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This...and some of the playoff games vs. the Jazz where only T-Mac and Yao scored in double digits. The supporting cast was abysmal those years.

6. splendidchen

splendidchen Member

One of the game in the Jazz series.
    I still remember the commentary line: "Only four Rockets players scored in this game, which never ever happened in NBA playoff history..."

7. Pete the Cheat

May 5th, 2007. The day my first daughter was born, and I had to give away tickets to game 7.

8. photojoe

photojoe Member

This game has to be really high on the list. The series was against the Mavericks, my least favorite team. We were underdogs in the series and everyone that I read predicted the Mavs to win easily. Then we came out in Games 1 and 2 in Dallas and pulled out both wins- Game 1 we won pretty easily and Game 2 we won with a McGrady jumpshot over Nowitzki with under 10 seconds left. I remember hearing all the stats of how teams that go up 2-0 in playoff series, especially when it is on the road, win the series almost every time.

Back in Houston, Dallas won games 3 and 4. Then, game 5 was the infamous Michael Finley standing out of bounds but still getting a steal game... We won game 6 and forced a game 7 on the road in Dallas.

So after an overall competitive series, we came out and played one of the most lethargic, pathetic games I have ever seen. The Dallas fans were going crazy. Jason Terry was hitting shot after shot and running down the floor doing his JET arms thing (man I hated him then). And whenever it showed the Rockets bench, they were just staring off listlessly. It was really just a pathetic and disheartening game to watch.

9. marky :)

marky :) Member

This game was so sad and disappointing. The way they played and acted especially in a game 7 of the playoffs was so disheartening as a fan. To me this ranks as the worst game the Rockets ever played.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

As far as regular season goes, I remember back in the 80's the Sonics came to the Summit and beat us 136-80. May have even been in the twin tower era.

I was actually at that game with my dad but I don't remember much. Just that we left at the start of the 4th quarter. :)

11. photojoe

photojoe Member

This is the other one that comes to mind. Not because the Rockets played the worse in this one, but because the stakes were the highest (Olajuwon vs Jordan in the Finals?!?) and it was one of the most disheartening.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Qobv8yUTJ_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

#12 heypartner, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yea, I was talking about this game. Couldn't believe it, know I was turning the stream on before going to school and being in shock when seeing the boxscore.

14. rullrich

rullrich Member

My vote is for the Thunder game last year that we scored all of 19 points in the second half - might have been the most frustrating loss I could have imagined.

15. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

I was at that game and that was a terrible loss as well.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah but the suckiness of this game caused me to switchover to Showtime and watch Jorge Luis Castillo/Diego Corrales I - fight of the decade and really one of the greatest sports moments I've ever seen on live TV.

17. King of 40 Acres

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?id=270426026

This game ^ Game 3 of the First Round in 2007

18. King of 40 Acres

Here's the ESPN recap from that game -

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?id=400489453

19. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

Agreed, but I thought the refs had it out for us that game. This was the year JVG let it out that the refs were going to look at Yao's screens more. After that, I'm convinced Stern gave the edict that the Rockets would not win this game or the series. Refs would blow the whistle anytime we would get close or start chipping away. It was horrendous.

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Yeah, that's the one that I thought of too. It was Dec, 6th, 1986 and at the time it was the 5th largest margin of victory in the history of the NBA. Of course, Olajuwon was out that game but we were coming off of a trip to the NBA finals the prior summer. That Sonics team with Dale Ellis, Tom Chambers and Xavier McDaniels always gave us trouble. They use to guard Sampson with Bill Hanzlik an we never could really take advantage of the huge height advantage.