1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets will swing and miss by picking Yao - DALLAS MORNING NEWS

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HectikG81, Jun 25, 2002.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

<b>The Houston Rockets are not among my many problems. Still, let's call this a matter of Lone Star pride. </b>

You can already feel the "Dallas snobiness" exuding from this guy after the first sentence.

<b>But of course the Rockets are, and they will take the 7-5 Chinese project, and they will spend an inordinate amount of time dealing with Chinese government officials while trying to produce the game's first decent big man over the height of 7-2. </b>

Rik Smits was at least decent you moron. His credibility is already shot by the end of third paragraph.

<b>What's wrong with Williams, Francis and Cuttino Mobley dividing up 96 minutes a night? </b>

Hahahahaha! More than you know...more than you know.

<b>Steve Nash and Nick Van Exel played together last season. Do you really think Williams and Francis, being the outside shooters that they are, wouldn't cause defenders migraines on a nightly basis? </b>

Remind me what round of the playoffs Dallas was ousted?

<b>The Rockets' second best option would be to draft Kansas' 6-10 Drew Gooden, who will fill an immediate need for the Rockets. The Big 12 Player of the Year is only 20. He's good, and he's going to get better. He enters the NBA more of a sure thing than Kansas' Paul Pierce was four years ago. </b>

Nobody even knows what position he plays. He'll at least be a good player, but he's not even close to being a "sure-thing star".

<b>These are the guys everyone is looking for. Not Manute Bol and not Gheorghe Muresan and not Shawn Bradley. </b>

Did I read that wrong or did he just compare Yao Ming to Muresan and Bol?

That guy must be the Dallas Morning News Version of Fran Blinebury. Let's face it. If we had the fifth pick rather than the 1st, many of us would also be bad-mouthing Yao Ming and the team that was going to take him with the first pick too. It would make us feel like we're not losing anything by missing out on drafting him. All these negative articles coming from other cities are a result of simple jealousy...nothing more. If Dallas had the first pick they'd all but certainly select Yao Ming, and this guy would be on the bandwagon with nearly everyone else in Dallas.

#21 DCkid, Jun 26, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2002
  2. DCkid

Introuducing your 2002-2003 Houston Rockets! Not only the most immature team currently in basketball, but the most immature team ever to suit up for an NBA game!

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Dallas sucks....

4. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Dallas does suck... and that so-called "writer" secretly wants to be a Houstonian so that he can cheer for Yao Ming!!!! [​IMG]

5. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Why should we even worry about guys like this don't give them satisfaction. These are the same guys that we blew out by 35+ pts this year when we were healthy. Don't worry and let them run their little Circus show we will own the other Texas teams very soon in a figurative kinda way.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Yes, and look how far the "Nash-Van Exel" backcourt got them in the playoffs. What a freaking moron. Dallas was clearly had superior talent but got beaten by a Sacramento team that beat them on the boards, in hustle, and on defense.

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

The Clip Joint would probably be honored to count you as one of their fans...

Meanwhile back to this joke of an article.....

Why in the hell does Dallas even care about what a team that hasn't made the playoffs in the last 3 seasons does?? I mean the Mavericks are a playoff team and one of the "elite" teams of the Western Conference.

If this isn't the biggest case of "Houston" penis envy that I have seen, I don't know what is.

8. Axeman

Axeman Member

Draft Jay Williams??? Oh yeah.... That guard-heavy line up in Dallas sure did them a lot of good against the Kings (who had two good starting guards and a big frontcourt).

Well, I'm sure they got sick of watching us win rings while they sucked. Now, they're getting better but they realize that the Rockets will soon be back on their radar and kicking their a$$es again. I'm really NOT looking forward to listening to Cuban whine three years from now when we eliminate them from the playoffs.

That's my new prediction (I love making them): In the 2005 playoffs the Rockets will eliminate the Dallas Mavericks in either the first or the second round.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

guys, guys, guys...... i live in dallas: tim colishaw is -- how should i put this... a tool.

he's garbage; a poor writer with no convinction, no spine and an almost scary lack of even general sports knowledge and understanding. you think about what makes a good columnist... well, good, and it's in their ability to make you at least stop and ponder their position.

colishaw has never, ever, not once made me stop and think... wait, that's not true, because everytime i lower my standards to read one of his pieces, i think, "how in the hell did this guy land this gig?" i've seen more compelling pieces in highlights magazine.

seriously, as the old saying goes, his crap isn't worth the paper it's printed on. i wouldn't get too worked up over this.

10. Axeman

Axeman Member

Yeah, right... And, he also won the Eastern Conference one year and went to the finals.... There's a guy that Dallas traded, named Jason Kidd... who should have won MVP and got to the finals this year. When was the last time Dallas won the Western Conference....

UH.....

NEVER!!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha....

11. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Guys Song of Solomon 8:6 declares "Jealousy is cruel as the grave"..... If you checked 99% of the NBA teams they have a bad chase of "green envey"!

And any comparison to Yao Ming is unfair, in my estimation the only fair comparison of Yao Ming.........is Yao Ming, there has never been a player like him rise out of the ashes of a blazeing hot coal, that sets afire the entire league!

This man could and probably will change the league!

PS, Song of Solomon is in the bible :0 )-

12. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Next the Dallas writers will be writing about how the olympics aren't that big of a deal.

Poor, envious Dallas writer.

13. TexasG

TexasG Member

This is the smartest thing I have seen anyone say on this site in regards to Yao.

Trust me guys, the last thing Dallas fans, media, players, etc. ... are is jealous. If Dallas fans, and media were jelous we would actually want you to take Yao because the Rockets are going to seriously regret taking Yao. Especially Rudy T because it will eventually end up costing him his job.

Also if you guys read the article they didn't forget about Sampson. Part of the reason his knees gave out is because he is so tall. People that tall always have health problems, Yao will be no different.

14. DCkid

Thank you very much Miss Cleo.

15. TexasG

TexasG Member

You don't have to be Miss Cleo to see what history is already saying. Is it a coincidence that Rik Smits is the only player 7'4" or taller to have success, that's if you call 1 All Star appearence a success.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't Sabonis, bad knees and all, play fairly effectively till age 36?

How many guys 7'3'' and up have played in the NBA?

How much does anyone wanna bet that if the Rockets and Mavs were to meet in the playoffs, and Ming was having a good season, Dallas would proclaim Shawn Bradley to be the "Ming stopper"?

This is absolutely genius. After watching Nash and Van Exel be too small, they think we should go for Jay Williams? Maybe we should be like Phoenix of a few years ago-run Norris, Jay Williams, Francis, and Cuttino at the same time. Maybe we'll be lucky, and Moochie will hit some cool last second shots like Rex Chapman.

I think one thing is clear-the thought of Yao becoming anywhere near a franchise center is scary for the NBA. Even if he becomes Rik Smits, the Rockets are an upper echelon team in about 2 years. But nothing would be scarier for Western Conference teams than if Yao becomes a force. You're talking a big time center, a stud PG, another 20 ppg scorer SG, and a potential defensive force with offensive skills to boot in Griffin. Put just about anyone, let alone the potential at the 3 we can get at 15 in a guy like Nachbar or Woods, and this team will be able to win a lot of games based on talent.

BTW: A 32 year old Sabonis, who by most accounts was just a shell of his former self managed to average 16-10-3 in the NBA.

17. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Don't forget the bench we could amass.

Moochie, Thomas, Morris, Cato, Brown, and Torres all have plenty of years ahead of them.