1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will swing and miss by picking Yao - DALLAS MORNING NEWS

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HectikG81, Jun 25, 2002.

1. HectikG81

HectikG81 Member

This is an example of why I hate Dallas - that small D city up north is very envious of Houston. And whenever we have a great opportunity for something they are quick to TRY and shoot it down....

Rockets will swing and miss by picking Yao

The Houston Rockets are not among my many problems. Still, let's call this a matter of Lone Star pride.

Yao Ming with the first pick of the draft Wednesday night? In the words of John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious."

But of course the Rockets are, and they will take the 7-5 Chinese project, and they will spend an inordinate amount of time dealing with Chinese government officials while trying to produce the game's first decent big man over the height of 7-2.

And it will be a disaster.

Begin with the Rockets' options. It should be obvious that the wisest course would be to draft Duke point guard Jay Williams, the consensus college basketball player of the year last season.

The Rockets already have a stud point guard in Steve Francis, you say? Perfect. There's nothing wrong with having two of the league's top 10 point guards, given the importance that has been bestowed on that position. You use Williams as trade bait, or maybe you even keep him for next season.

What's wrong with Williams, Francis and Cuttino Mobley dividing up 96 minutes a night? Steve Nash and Nick Van Exel played together last season. Do you really think Williams and Francis, being the outside shooters that they are, wouldn't cause defenders migraines on a nightly basis?

There's nothing wrong with an excess of point guards. Phoenix drafted Nash when Jason Kidd was already on the roster. The Suns turned Nash, less of a sure thing then than Williams is now, into Shawn Marion in the trade with Dallas.

The Rockets' second best option would be to draft Kansas' 6-10 Drew Gooden, who will fill an immediate need for the Rockets. The Big 12 Player of the Year is only 20. He's good, and he's going to get better. He enters the NBA more of a sure thing than Kansas' Paul Pierce was four years ago.

But the problem for the Rockets is the mystique that surrounds the No. 1 overall pick. There's an unwritten rule that a team can't take someone who's simply going to be good, such as Gooden. You have to hit a home run, and never mind the fact that most drafts lack a Shaquille O'Neal or a Tim Duncan atop the board.

Consider the 1998 draft. All kinds of talent on that board – Vince Carter, Antawn Jamison, Mike Bibby and Pierce, not to mention Germany's Dirk Nowitzki. But with the first pick, the Clippers couldn't make the safe play for Carter, Jamison or Pierce. They had to hit that home run, so 7-foot Nigerian Michael Olowokandi got the call.

He has become a solid but hardly spectacular man in the middle while the others are regular visitors to the All-Star Game.

Sometimes it's OK just to hit a solid single or double with the top pick. Remember when the Cowboys took Russell Maryland with the No. 1 pick in 1991. They were criticized for taking a player considered unworthy of No. 1 status.

But before leaving as a free agent, Maryland was a reliable starting defensive tackle on three Super Bowl teams, going to the Pro Bowl once. It's generally better to accept good than to close one's eyes and hope for something great.

At 7-5, Yao represents that home run threat for Houston, but there is a principle of diminishing returns that applies to size for centers in the NBA. Everyone wants a big man, preferably a really big big man.

But look at the history of great centers in the NBA.

7-2 – Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Dikembe Mutombo.

7-1 – Wilt Chamberlain, Robert Parish, Shaquille O'Neal, David Robinson.

7-0 – Tim Duncan, Patrick Ewing, Hakeem Olajuwon.

6-11 – Walt Bellamy, Nate Thurmond, Bill Walton, Bob Lanier.

6-10 – Bill Russell, Willis Reed, Moses Malone.

These are the guys everyone is looking for. Not Manute Bol and not Gheorghe Muresan and not Shawn Bradley.

If you're hanging your hat on Yao being another Rik Smits (7-4), understand that the former Pacer made one All-Star Game in 12 years.

So why do we suppose a 7-5 player from China, who undoubtedly will be saddled with off-season commitments thousands of miles away, is going to bust through that mold? And what if Wang Zhizhi, who says he's not defecting, really is or changes his mind later? How will that impact Yao and others?

China hardly will stand for embarrassment on the eve of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.

Will any of this cause the Rockets to make the safe and proper call Wednesday night? Not hardly.

Duke's Williams is going to be a solid NBA point guard, and Kansas' Gooden an effective forward. But that's not enough at No. 1.

Only Yao represents the chance for a home run. In this case, it appears to be curving foul.

Written by Tim Cremshaw DMN
    PLEASE EMAIL YOUR THOUGHTS TO...
    tcowlishaw@dallasnews.com

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

It's hilarious. The Dallas owner, fans, coaches, and media have done nothing but complain about the Rockets drafting Ming from day one. Other then Donnie Nelson it has been nothing but negative garbage about the Rockets. I like how this reporter hides under "I'm not obsessed with the Rockets it's just Lone Star pride!" Yeah, whatever. Funny part at the end is that we have a chance at a homerun, but it's curving foul. All that means that we get another pitch to swing at. Bring him home boys!

#2 RocksMillenium, Jun 25, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2002
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

there was nothing worthy of being called "information" in that article. these guys are getting sad in their attempts to rag on yao.

1. pass on yao to draft a guy who plays the identical position of our best player.

2. draft drew gooden who automatically fills a need. hmm, this guy should probably tell eddie, mo, and kenny this.

also apparently being talented is good but if you're talented and too tall that's no good. interesting concept. someone was the first 7" man to excel. ming can be the first 7'5" guy to dominate.

4. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Why does all these journalist like to compare Yao to Bradely, Smits and now Kandi, when they should be doing some homework and analysis Yao as a player before they come up with any conclusions.

Why is all the journalist from other team's cities so worried for the Rockets' future now? How come all there wasn't so much fuss when the Wizards drafted Brown last year when he is even less proven than Yao is? They seem to be afraid that the Rockets might have striked the jack-pot, thus they all hope Yao is another bust as their chances of drafting him is close to none.

-G'day-

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

C-Kompii - exactly. they're scared of what we potentially have. that's the only explanation of why they seem to care so much and try to bring us down. it didn't matter last year when the wiz picked brown #1, an even bigger question mark. where was the hoopla then? they want what we got, simple as that.

6. writhe

writhe Member

You guys have lost your minds. This is the most accurate article I've read regarding Yao.

Everyone on this board assumes Yao will be no worse than Smits and possibly the best center ever. Puh-leeze.

Let's take someone who can really play. Let's get a stockpile of real talent on this team, regardless of position. We can worry about what to do with it later.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That is what got Portland, New York, and Miami into trouble. Talent does not make a successful team. If that was the case, the clippers would be the third best team in the league. You have to have talent to win but it doesn't guarantee anything if it doesn't suit your needs.

8. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Anybody who thinks Drew Gooden will be a sure thing is an idiot.

After watching him in countles Big 12 games, this guy can be good, but he is not a lock.

Frankly, I think the Dallas writer has heard of Dunleavy and Jay Williams and has actually seen Gooden once or twice - that is the extent of his basketball knowledge.

9. ScottBrooks

ScottBrooks Member

Well obviously this guys opinion is pure nonsense.

This is what I love from the article

With that one statement he admits that Dallas's own Shawn Bradley is not even decent.

And if I remember correctly the Kings knocked the Mavs out in part due to the fact that Dallas didn't have the big men to bang down low in the half court set.

Let's face it guys Ming is something special. Most of us have watched these highlight reels and realize that Ming has both good footwork, good touch, and a decent arsenal of moves. For a 7-5 guy to already be showing that range of skills is something special and thats why other teams want him too.

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

That article must have been written by the Food Section editor.

11. Stevie Francis

i don't want yao anymore. i want odom woods and amare.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I guess he forgot Ralph Sampson 7'4" and a great player before his knees gave out.

DaDakota

13. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Btw, Although I haven't seen Gooden play and don't usually like to jump into conclusions like the Dallas writer, but didn't the Rockets say that Stoudemaire destroyed Gooden in the Rocket workout?

And it would be stupid to take Gooden at No.1 when they can trade down and get him at 3 or 4. This Dallas guy doesn't seem to try and give good suggestions does he?

-G'day-

14. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I heard this guy on FOX. He is definitely a homer.

15. hpscc

hpscc Member

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Yao will be a 7'5 Vlade Divac.

16. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Ming will be a more athletic, more professional, bigger, taller, more professional and more money Divac.

17. Tha Jay

Tha Jay Member

One thing I did agree with the article is that the No. 1 pick should be used to potentially hit the "Grand Slam".

The rest was nonsense.

18. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The only thing I worry about physically with Yao is that his knees could go Sampson on us. But it's worth the gamble.

19. chewy

chewy Member

So what's his argument? That nobody over 7-2 has been decent? LAME. The people he compares Yao to are nothing like him other than height and Yao is unlike anyone else in the NBA so that's an unfair comparison. He also contradicts himself by saying Yao will be a swing and miss and a disaster but later says there's a chance he'll be a home run.

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Is that good or bad in your opinion? Personally I like Vlade Divac.