1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will sign Dexter Pittman, per source. Will waive Greg Smith.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Apr 10, 2014.

1. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

What is the chance that if Greg Smith is healthy again that Morey will want him back? Is his injury really that serious & career threatening?

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

"each team designating 12 active players and up to three inactive players prior to each game."

Baring some disasters happened, do you really think he will be one of the 12 active players in the roster for any playoff games?

3. basketballholic

4. BleedsRocketRed

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UqMwFLsoQ9A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

I played with Pittman in AAU (cool story bro). He used to be so incredibly fat and out-of-shape; he'd only make it up and down the floor a few times before he'd call for a sub. Obviously, he's gotten way better in that regard. He always had pretty good hands for his size and battled on the boards. I don't think he's athletic enough to overcome his height--he'll get stuffed at the rim by longer defenders.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Not surprising. When he got to Texas his freshman year, I heard the same things about how he got winded just by jogging down the court.

Dude really put in work with Todd Wright to transform his body - diet, cardio, weights, you name it.

7. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Can I get an explanation why Pittman is eligible for the playoffs?

8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

FWIW, his D-League stats from this year look really good, albeit in limited minutes. He's averaging 20-12-4 blks per 36.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

All we had to build the roster with after signing Dwight was a smidgen of cap space (which we used on Canaan), the room exception (about $2 million over 2 years), and the vet/rookie minimum contracts.

We will have significantly more options this summer. Asik and Lin are expirings + the Mid Level Exception + Bi-Annual Exception + our own 1st round pick, etc.

10. dtrain0928

dtrain0928 Member

I went to Robert e lee elementary then Taylor Ray elementary.. The last school it went to was wessendorf before I moved into Houston in 7th grade.

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Hope he stays long enough to recruit some talent to UT>

FWIW Pittman is a good guy with a good attitude, but a marginal NBA center.

Hope he has gotten a bit better. That is always possible. He has great hands, but little speed and little hops. Combine him and Asik and you have a great center.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I heard Abrams (or one of the other small guards) use to torment him at the meal table because they were forced to high calorie meals while Pittman was on salad.

13. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

We signed NBA champion Dexter Pittman? When's our championship parade?

14. Naismith

Naismith Member

I hope not,but you have interesting numbers.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Yeah that's sounds about right.

You ever hear the story when the team bus stopped at KFC on the way back from a game in Waco or something and Dex waited on the bus? Told Coach Wright, "I can't eat any of that." Solid guy.

16. basketballholic

Actually, yes I do. This is 6 fouls to throw at Kendrick Perkins or DeAndre Jordan or Thomas Robinson if he goes in for a dunk if we face one of those teams.

I actually think Pittman will be active for more playoff games than he is inactive.

#SIXFOULS

17. MadMaxwell

MadMaxwell Member

damn, sucks for Greg Smith. Hopefully, he can get healthy and find a spot on another team.

18. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Here's the latest highlight I could find of him:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0gPtJLxBAis" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He seems to be in good shape.

19. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#99 Rocketball, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  20. CRJames14

CRJames14 Member

LOL at people upset with this move.

1. Greg Smith wasn't going to play this season and was wasting a roster spot.
    2. Dex is healthy so this is a great insurance move for the playoffs.

Good work, Morey.