1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will pursue Josh Smith if they can't get Dwight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Egghead, Jun 26, 2012.

1. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Josh Smith is a team cancer.

Must avoid unless we're bringing a star with him.

2. Asian Sensation

A frontcourt of Parsons/J-Smoove/Dwight would be impossible to score on. Combine them with a backcourt that can penetrate, knock down open shots and create and you have a MONSTER. That team could also run for days on the offensive end.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

my pants are wet. wait..i'm not wearing pants!

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

totally cool with Smith as long as we can get someone else.

he is a great defender, he is a stat sheet filler and he lead the NBA in rebounding!

5. fogo18182028

fogo18182028 Member

Doesn't make any sense, our PF spot is loaded. I think in the long run PPat > Josh Smith. And Scola is a DMO's idol, I think DMO will learn a lot from Scola.

6. alverwi

alverwi Contributing Member

You have got to be kidding me.

7. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Maybe smoke and mirrors.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'm all for this. there's a couple ways this could go. we send two of lowry, scola, dalembert and add a lower pick. or we send martin's expiring contract plus a higher pick.

9. OpportunityCost

Dwight has NO interest in being here. Just stop it. It doesn't make any sense. Isn't Morey suppose to be really smart?

10. dmcray95

dmcray95 Member

I'd pass if no Dwight.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I didn't realize Dwight was a free agent. Glad you're around to point that out.

12. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=8a48cmu

You could send cash and #18 to Atlanta and #14 and #16 to Orlando.

#172 theDude, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  13. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

not a big fan of jsmooth but he would make the team better.

i think he would be most effective when he plays defense at the 3. i say this after seeing lebron compensating on the defensive end for when the heat sent out frontlines where anthony and haslem play center or battier to play pf. this would work with us when we send scola to play center (which is all the time ugh). the bad thing about this would be that we would have a 3 who cant spread the floor with shooting which is a deal killer for me since we dont have anyone who commands a double team.

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

How???

I don't ever remember him demanding anything from Atlanta.

15. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Hawks fan & watcher (originally from ATL). He has attitude problems, yet plays with no attitude. He can open up a big ol' can of quit, too. I'd rather go a different route.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If the Rockets have a choice between acquiring Smith and acquiring Deron Williams to add to Dwight Howard (don't think they have flexibility to get both without some major moving of existing salaries), I would probably prefer Smith. He's a couple years younger, cheaper (on a 1 year deal for $13 mil, don't need to commit big $ to him until you know how he plays for you) and does not play the same position as the best likely carryover from the current roster (PG Goran Dragic).

The question is whether the Rockets have what it takes to trade for him after giving up what is needed to trade for Dwight Howard.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

What does it take to get Smith though!?

18. OpportunityCost

:eek:

19. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

I never heard of any attitude problems. I think if anything, it's just a coaching problem. I mean, what coach would seriously allow him to keep taking those 3 pointers? lol.

20. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that both of these players are expiring means that they won't get the return the teams might expect with multiple years left on their contracts. They could both end up being one year rentals, which will scare off many suitors.

I posted a trade above that works salary-wise and might take some tweaking but seems fair for all parties.

Scola & #18 to Atlanta for Smith

Lowry, Martin and #14 & #16 to Orlando for Howard

I think when push comes to shove, Orlando will accept something like this because Dwight will eventually bolt for Brooklyn, who will not be able to match an offer like that through a sign and trade. Might as well maximize the return now.