1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will pursue Josh Smith if they can't get Dwight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Egghead, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

A doc rocket post?!? Man this brings back memories.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Josh smith was drafted 17th in 04. Why can't the rockets draft and develop their own josh smith with the picks they have?

3. Happii

Happii Member

Josh Smith would be a terrific pick up for the Rockets. Hopefully we are not going to trade our whole franchise for him.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I just don't see how Smith alone will make any difference.

5. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

[​IMG]

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder if the Rockets will have enough to trade for both Dwight Howard and Josh Smith on draft night.

Salary wise, it would work if (1) the Rockets trade Martin + pick(s) for Josh Smith (almost perfect contract match), and (2) the Rockets trade Lowry+Dalembert+Courtney Fortson (or another minimum contract guy) plus maybe their own picks for higher picks, then flip those picks to Orlando for Dwight Howard. They can also throw in their smaller contract guys (Patterson, Morris, Parsons) and overseas rights (Sergio Llull, Motiejunas) without upsetting the salary balance.

The question is whether they have enough both convince Atlanta to part with Josh Smith and still outbid other teams for Dwight Howard.

Maybe something like:

(1) Martin + 16th pick + Dallas 2013 Pick for Josh Smith;
    (2) Lowry for 8th pick, which is then sent to Orlando;
    (3) Dalembert+Patterson+14th+18th for 5th pick, which is then sent to Orlando;
    then (4) Morris to Orlando, which is then absorbed with a their Brandon Bass trade exception?

Orlando ends up with Morris, 5th pick + 8th pick and either more than $11 million in possible cap room or a $18.1 million trade exception. Is this feasible?

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

8. dmoneybangbang

I like what you're smoking in that pipe.

9. delishman

delishman Member

Mark this thread for all eternity.

Doc Rocket was here. A Clutchfans prophet.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

12. BriBri07

BriBri07 Member

Well i live in Egypt so i just woke up to Docs poem and it got me up in a hurry. We know when hes on saying his poems SOMETHING is up....
    After trying to analyze it as best i can here is the info i got out of it...

The first 2 lines to me indicates that what we r hearing about their mutual dis-interest may not be 100 percent true so we should still believe we can pair Deron and Dwight...

The 3rd line is really interesting to me because he stopped at be...indicating that Williams signing will/or there's a good chance hell sign if we haul dwight in..

4th line emphasizes "on"...so i think either way we trade for Howard on Thursday....but if Moreys master plan doesn't come to fruition we could be putting him back on the block..

having 0 success trying to decipher the draft part of it if anyone can try and decipher that in an informative way it would be appreciated....maybe that we will draft Ross "who i love" so its exciting times...lets not get ahead of ourselves though

13. BEARCLAW

BEARCLAW Member

I think we need to bring in Velma Dinkley to solve this one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velma_Dinkley

:p

14. anchel

anchel Member

McHale talking about JS.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tuklWpNBhE0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Because Josh Smith is an all-star caliber player picked in the mid-range of the draft. The chances of getting an all-star player in the lower middle-class of the draft is about 5-10%. The chance of getting a bust or a little used reserve is about 50% or higher.

Even though the Rockets are pretty decent at drafting, it's much more likely they end up with a LaBradford Smith than a Josh Smith. As compared to Josh Smith, who is 100% likely to be Josh Smith.

16. jvu

jvu Member

why not sign ray?

Dragic
    Allen/Lee
    Parsons
    Smith/Montie
    Howard

Scola k mart for smith

This would be a great team

17. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

No thanks, just another band-aid.

18. Spooner

Spooner Member

Mike Bresnahan: The Atlanta Hawks have been pursuing Pau Gasol, The Times has learned. Nothing imminent, but Josh Smith would be key piece going to Lakers.

4 way trade?

Houston picks and players to Orlando
    Dwight Howard to LA
    Pau to Atlanta
    Bynum and Smith to Houston

??

19. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

it says that there trying to workout a deal

Lakers get Josh Smith

Hawks get Gasol

20. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I agree, he forces a lot of bad shots. I watched a decent amount of Atl games as I was interested in McGrady's performance, and I can tell you he has a lot of good moments, but he goes on these tangents that can last a quarter or at the mos inopportune time of the season.