1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will NOT match the Chandler Parsons offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Jul 13, 2014.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I'm pretty sure that Dwight, unlike you all who are flipping ****, understands that these things happen. And with the hand that we were dealt it was best to not lock in on Parsons and lose the flexibility leading to a situation that ruins Dwight's ability to get a championship in the next couple of years.

2. scottie brooks

If anything, it's more of a sidestep.

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

Wrong wrong wrong. Golden St. plays pretty good defense when Bogut and Iggy are healthy.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Instead, he's saying to Morey:

Thank you for the peanut contract you gave me. At least I was able to perform myself out of the gutter. I know you've always said that this is a business. Too bad you miscalculated my business value. Well someone thinks I am worth that much. Just business. No hard feelings. Nothing personal. I am sure you'll find another great asset to replace me.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly, people thinking this was meant as a favor are severely mistaken. He was trying to lock him up long term right now to avoid future problems (like this one) but grossly miscalculated his value.

6. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Who says we aren't? Rockets saved 7 mil in salary for next summer by choosing Ariza over Parsons, really the same level of player.

Still retained their exceptions and Lin TPE

7. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

We did not gain flexibility for this season. So your entire premise is based on landing one of Dragic, Millsap, or Rondo in 2015 FA, who may make us negligibly better. And obviously either of the PGs means Beverly would not sign long-term and we wouldn't have max cap room in 2016 anyways.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Next year by definition isn't win now.

9. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

So they choose the chance at Millsap, Dragic, or Rondo in 2015 FA over Parsons for 2014. And that is Parsons on a contact that likely is pretty tradable, despite what some are trying to say. Plenty of teams that can't attract free agents, like Charlotte, would definitely trade an asset for him.

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

After watching that SL game, we need better bench players desperately. Maybe that was a reason for not matching Parsons. Caanan was crap and Covington was useless.

11. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

So Morey wasn't really trolling the Mavs by saying he wont match? He didnt match it at 11:59? Damn.

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

There are these things called trades that happen all the time. Most likely that option would not be possible if we signed Parsons due to the nature of his contract. FA signings are not the only way to improve your team. In fact, hardly have the Rockets ever improved through free agency. It's almost always been trades. See: Clyde Drexler, Steve Francis, Tracy McGrady, James Harden.

So no, my premise is quite sound.

13. Tonnny

Tonnny Member

Now Houston lost the previous core of Asik, Lin and Parsons.

While chemistry and teamwork build from time, Houston will need one or two years to build that again.

Then if TJ and PB gone next year, Houston will need to do that again. Endless building time, and DH is keep aging...

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

A core of Asik, Lin, and Parsons was never going anywhere.

I'd rather role with a core of Howard, Harden, Beverley.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Chandler Parsons and Jeremy Lin both leaving Rockets and Dwight for nothing. Hmm.</p>&mdash; KEVIN DING (@KevinDing) <a href="https://twitter.com/KevinDing/statuses/488478643245436928">July 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Parsons and Lin were tight with Dwight last season. Changes Rockets' chemistry aside from obvious basketball losses.</p>&mdash; KEVIN DING (@KevinDing) <a href="https://twitter.com/KevinDing/statuses/488478976193470464">July 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. Tonnny

Tonnny Member

Let's see if PB will stay next year as he is not short of offers, especially hearing all the Rondo or Lowry rumors.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You know what letting Parsons go and replacing him with Ariza is? It's signing Zac Diles because he's "cost effective". It took me a long time to realize exactly why I was so mad about this and that's it. This situation is so incredibly familiar, the Texans used to do crap like this all the time.

18. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

Chandler Parsons = Tony Romo.

19. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Name those trades. As it stands we can only use the Lin TPE or Ariza to take on any significant player. Matching Parsons wouldn't have taken away either option. It would have only, possibly, affected Les's willingness to pull the trigger in adding salary. We have no more NBA rule and cap flexibility this season and there are not good options next season.

20. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Oh and, remember, to fill out an even remotely decent bench we will have to spend short term money on vets who will take essentially 1 year deals to not cut into that 2015 cap room, so we will burn any cap room to assume traded in salary this season, so that is not a tool.