1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will NOT match the Chandler Parsons offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Jul 13, 2014.

1. HCA

HCA Member

THANK YOU!

This is a business and money will always come first!

2. photojoe

photojoe Member

Unfortunately, I don't think Cuban is screwed. It's a short term contract, and he is trying desperately to find pieces to extend any kind of championship hopes while they still have Dirk.

I think that will be a futile goal (Ellis/Parsons/Dirk/Chandler isn't getting it done), but he isn't screwed.

3. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

LOL.....the Rockets had the last word!! THey let Parsons go!!! I'm sure if they brought him back on the option for ~1 mill, Chandler would have gladly returned.

WHat do you want Parsons to do?? Not sign any offer sheets and let Houston leverage that into a good deal for them??

Freaking Gordon hayward got the max and Parsons is at the very least at on his level.

4. Possum

Possum Member

OH NO THE WORLDS COMING TO AN END BECAUSE WE DIDN'T PAY A "GLUE GUY" SUPERSTAR MONEY!!!!!!!! WHAT IS MOREY THINKING????? :rolleyes:

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

How much cap space will the Rockets have for next years free agency?

Something tells me, its going to be around 10 million.

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

The rockets will adjust and they'll be fine, they've go glaring holes at the PG position and need a very good defensive coach at the moment. I think Ariza makes the rockets a much better defensive team and he can hit the 3 ball at a high clip.

7. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

dwight is gonna leave us

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Wait until next year!

Signed 2013-14

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Let's say Chandler has a minor injury and that leads to a down year. It's possible and it happens all the time. Under his contract, Dallas can't do anything. Good luck trading him, and goodbye cap to bring someone in. Heck, let's say someone else big goes down, i.e. Dirk. You can't even move CP to get some re-building pieces!

10. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

We won't have a chance at anyone worth that space. Best chance would be over paying for Millsaps or Dragic. And then the next year Board opts out.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's assuming people are in the stands next season. I can't speak for anyone else in the Rockets fanbase, but I'm sick of the neverending string of 14th picks in the lottery or first round flameouts(save for 2009 which was rendered meaningless anyway after Game 3 against LA). We keep hearing that money isn't an issue for Les, but then see moves like this. Or we hear how the Rockets are in prime position to land a stud free agent, when in actuality no one really wants to play here.

Les needs to either sell the team or stop meddling because what he's been doing for his entire tenure as owner is not working. And 1994 and 1995 barely count since he essentially inherited those teams(other than Clyde).

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Has Parsons played like a champion?

Dwight has.

Parsons was worse than Harden in the playoffs.

1 person likes this.
  13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First let's clear up a huge misconception.

1. Chandler's contract was not a dead weight. The new collective bargaining requires that all NBA teams spend at least 90% of the salary cap. There are teams like the 76ers that are well below that mark and need to add big salaries to their team in order to reach that 90%. With that requirement going into effect it won't as hard as it used to be to move big contracts especially when they are tied to decent players like Parsons. It isn't as easy as a cheaper contract but it isn't as hard as it once was.

2. Going for a big time free agent with cap money is risky. The Rockets tried it for several FA's this off season and they failed. There is no guarantee that the can land a FA next time especially since instead of being a team that was moving up in the rankings they will be moving down. You'd think after not landing the big name FA's this off season the team would have learned that.

Well the Rockets took a huge step backwards this off season. So much for trying to maximize the time of Dwight and James in their primes.

Ariza was kind of close to Parsons last year (a contract year for him). Ariza in his career has never shown a consistency for doing that kind of thing. I don't think he'll be anywhere close to what he was last year for the Rockets. I do hope I'm wrong.

Chandler was not only good because of his skill set, but also his ability to bind the different parts of this team together. Ariza doesn't have anything like that at all.

Chandler's recruitment of Howard was one of the reasons we got him in the first place. Our team had a good season last year. With young guys like we had it would have been nice to see them continue to grow together and build something.

Sadly our team has taken a huge step backwards. A team moving backwards rather than improving doesn't look as attractive to FA's in the future. Love has already said he's willing to go to Cleveland and sign an extension there. We have no idea that he'd be willing to do that for the Rockets. In addition without a Chandler Parsons to trade for a big name that means you end up having to put someone like Patrick Beverley and more into that trade.

I get the idea that you don't want to overpay for Parsons, but after Hayward's deal, and the Dallas offer to Chandler, it doesn't appear like it's really overpaying anymore.

What a crappy move.

1 person likes this.
  14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

4 years vs 3 :rolleyes:

15. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Parsons just got added to the USA team

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm with you. Maybe not title contenders, but with Johnson and Ariza alone, if they get minutes, our defense is probably already a lot better.

Another thing that always concerned me about Parsons was having back trouble in his early 20's.

That photo with Cubes really did me in though. He didn't want to be here, and I'm sure that played into Morey's decision a tiny bit.

1 person likes this.
  17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>BIG night for Chandler Parsons. ESPN has learned Parsons will be added to Team USA roster announced Monday by USA Basketball</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/488454704314466306">July 13, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Oh great, now we lost out on a dude who is talented enough to play for Team USA.

I'm done.

18. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I have to convince myself that something else is in the works...otherwise I will enter Albert Pujols 2005 meltdown mode.

19. photojoe

photojoe Member

Say what you want about whether you think it was a smart move. This hurts

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>HELLLLLLLLLO DALLAS <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MFFL?src=hash">#MFFL</a></p>&mdash; Chandler Parsons (@ChandlerParsons) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChandlerParsons/statuses/488453963700637696">July 13, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. Omron

Omron Member

Ariza - "Key to a Championship Ring"!