1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will meet with Stromile Swift

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by randerson153, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Yepp, If I had a choice I would sign Griffin he would be much cheaper.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I wish people would quit saying that. Cato's 'breakout' year was Rudy's last year, not JVG's first.

As for EG, I think he's actually has significantly more talent than Swift, but doesn't have the mental stability to bring it out consistently. He could certainly rebound better when he was on, and has more range on his shot.

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

What are you basing this on? Under Rudy, he was ineffective, the butt of many CFans jokes and the backup for the rookie Yao. Under JVG, he was the starting PF.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I agree with you on this one. I think its fair to say that he was best utilized and most effective last season when he was starting at PF.

5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

GET SWIFT!!!! That is all I have to say.

6. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

I agree, SS is the best fit for this team.

7. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

Stromile Swift update on FSN post Astros game. Didn't sound like anything exciting, probably just a soundbite or two.

8. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Yeah, Fox Sports Net never has any scoops. Anything they report has usually been on-line for 1/2 the day, but they tease it like it's a secret. I get real tired of them.

9. blabla

blabla Contributing Member

Walker is my top choice. SS? let's pass.

10. Gladiator

Gladiator Contributing Member

Why haven't I heard any talk about a s & T for Tyson Chandler or someone like that. We have more than enough expiring contracts to pull it off... does anyone else have any ideas about who we could S & T for? Since the Hawks have so many guys in the 6' 8" to 6' 9" range, I thought Al Harrington could be a real possibilty. Then we could use the MLE to go after Antonio Daniels???

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Actually, the last year under Rudy, Cato did start playing tough and smarter. True, there were people who made jokes about him, but there was also a contingent wanting him to start or get more minutes. It was JVG who gave him the chance to start alongside Yao, even though that was due more to necessity at the beginning(injuries).

12. layman

layman New Member

Swift accept a middle?I don't belive it.

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

If you're implying that's what they said on FSSW... you're wrong..

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Expiring contracts alone wont get you anyone of high value right now. We don't really have anything outside of expiring contracts to offer. Oooo, a mid twenties future first round pick. Ooooo, some broken down guards.

The only way we could get Tyson is if the Bulls are convinced that he will leave to say oh, Cleveland, and leave them high and dry. Maybe then they would prefer a crappy 1st rounder and Wesley plus crap for Tyson if he states Houston really is his #1 preference. But they might not care even then.

Expiring contracts are more useful at the trade deadline for enticing struggling teams with huge payrolls and for players who become absolute cancers and have to be moved asap, but there's no guarantee that either of those situations will happen.

15. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I heard on ESPN Radio this evening (Dallas station 105.3) that Stromile is the Rockets' player of choice this offseason, and that they will be making best efforts to sign him.

16. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I find it hilarious that about two weeks ago, consensus was that Walker was never coming here and we didn't want him, and Swift was clearly our target of choice. Less than a week into the negotiating period, everyone is now salivating over the Walker, and the majority want to pass on Swift.

WTF happened in the last few weeks? :confused: :D

Personally, I'd be very happy with either one... more than SAR or Marshall, though I wouldn't kill myself if we got one of those two either.

17. YaoMcGrady

YaoMcGrady Contributing Member

I do not understand all the pessimism about the potential acquisition of Swift. IMO, he is the best option for us. His numbers are a little misleading, as he was playing in the disjointed, fast-break offense of the Grizzlies. Since Yao and T-Mac often receive doubles, we need a guy who could create in space and knock down an open J. I think Swift does both better than Walker and SAR. We also need defensive help, in which Swift's athleticism helps. Walker is a proven ballhog who plays outta control. As was stated before, we cannot go crazy on a contract because we only have the MLE to offer. If we do a S & T, I do not think we will be giving him a MO T-esque deal.

Lastly, the real problem with JH is his D. I believe this is the reason Dirk did not torch us in the playoffs, because JH was not on the floor. I said when he went down that it would hurt, but was a blessing in disguise because Dirk just abused him during the regular season. Adding a legit athlete at the 4 would be good to help defense the Dirks, Tim Duncans, Amares and Garnetts in the WC.

THoughts???

18. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

The FSN interview was in the airport, just a quick blurb.

SS said he liked the coaching staff and organization looking from the outside in. He also said (if he were to come here) that he could hopefully help the rox reach a championship level. SO basically he gave the usual free agent cliches.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The Fox Southwest Sports Report just had an interview clip with him at the airport today. Basically Stromile said that a winning team was 'something he wanted to be a part of'.

He also commented on our teams great chemistry, and said something to the effect of 'hopefully I can come in here and help out and help this team get to the championship'.

Those aren't direct quotes, but pretty close. I was surprised to here him say that last part...I expected something more like "we'll see" or possibly a "hopefully (if I'm signed)" ... but the way he said it sounded like he was already signed. I wouldn't look too much into it though...it's too early, and money hasn't even been discussed very much yet. This was the player talking, not the agent. The agent is a whole different story.

20. jlivz

jlivz Contributing Member

The way he talked about it it sounded like he had already signed. I'm not saying thats the case obviously but it seems like he forgot to leave his word choice more open.