1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will meet with Stromile Swift

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by randerson153, Jul 6, 2005.

1. randerson153

randerson153 Contributing Member

Link:
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3254177

Rockets, Swift set to talk
    Forward to visit team today for preliminary talks
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets' interest in landing young, athletic frontcourt help will focus on perhaps the youngest, most athletic free agent available when Stromile Swift visits the team today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Swift, 25, will meet with Rockets officials today, an NBA source said Tuesday.

Swift's agent, Andy Miller, said last week that Swift could be visiting Houston either today or Thursday, but added that there were other teams pursuing Swift and that Swift had not told him of a preference. Today's visit is considered an early part of the process.

Miller said he also had spoken with Rockets GM Carroll Dawson about forward Donyell Marshall. Dawson also has spoken with the agent for forwards Antoine Walker and Bobby Simmons, Mark Bartelstein.

Because the Rockets are over the salary cap, they can offer only the mid-level exception, expected to be worth about $5 million for the first season of a contract. Players cannot sign free-agent contracts until July 22, when the new collective bargaining agreement is expected to be completed.

The forward has averaged nine points, five rebounds and 21 minutes per game while shooting 46.8 percent in five seasons with the Grizzlies. He never has been the regular starter, but his quickness and leaping ability are coveted assets.

While the Rockets worked on putting together next season's squad, they announced the roster for their summer-league team, a list perhaps as noteworthy for who was excluded as for the players on it.

Vasilis Spanoulis, the point guard acquired in the second round of the 2004 draft, was not among the players on the summer-league team to play in Minneapolis July 15-19.

Spanoulis is rehabilitating a sore back and ankle after his season in Greece. Dawson said the injuries are not long-term concerns.

"Because of the timing, it would be a difficult time for us to look at him," Dawson said. "He also has to consider some pretty big offers in Europe after having a pretty good year in Greece."

The Rockets will bring a few players with NBA experience to Minnesota with three-year Timberwolves guard William Avery, a former first-round pick out of Duke, and former Bucks and Hawks forward Lonnie Baxter playing for the summer-league team.

Luther Head, the Rockets' first-round pick last month, and Malick Badiane, their second-round pick in 2003, will also play in Minneapolis. Former St. Joseph's guard Pat Carroll, former Hofstra guard Norm Richardson, former Utah forward Norm Penigar, former Kentucky forward Chuck Hayes, former Gonzaga forward Cory Violette and former Sacramento Kings and USC forward David Bluthenthal will play for the summer-league team.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. glcpimp

glcpimp Member

Thanks for the info. Sounds good to me.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Very positive news. Unfortunately I don't know how intriguing the Rockets are to a 25 year old who hasn't proven a whole lot yet in the league and is looking for a big payday based mostly on potential.

My gut tells me it's going to be a S&T or nothing at all.

4. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Git-R-done

5. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I've got a feeling that Swift and Simmons are just using us to drive up their value.

Let's see where things go.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I like how CD is being really active so far, hopefully we can get Swift.

The Spanoullis news is very dissappointing. I was really hoping he could give a good showing during the summer and make the roster, but I guess we'll have to wait another whole season before we can even see him on the court.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Swift seems like the longest shot for the Rockets. He has enough potential that some bad team will offer him above the MLE. And at 25 looking for his big payday, money should be more important to him than other considerations. Sign&Trade seems extremely unlikely, since Memphis isn't likely going to trade him to a competitor in the same division.

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

He's the longest shot only if he's all about the $. Otherwise, there are plenty of reasons he would/should be attracted to the Rockets....

* Tracy McGrady & Yao Ming.
    * A potential starting spot on a 5th seed WC playoff team playing your more natural PF spot. (He'd surely get more than 21 mpg as a Rocket).
    * A chance to negotiate more $ after a 3 yr MLE (Similar to Shandon Anderson and Mo T).
    * A chance to stick it to MEM 4 times a year. Should be very enjoyable if he is dissatisfied with the treatment of mgmt and teammates.
    * A 2 time NBA Championship city.
    * Lack of TX state personal income tax. (An $8m contract with the Hawks only nets $7m if the GA state income tax is as low as 12.5%).

The Grizz won't do him any favors, but they definitely would like to jettison Bonzi and/or Jason Williams.

#8 GATER, Jul 6, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2005
  9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Looks like Stromile's "Tour Across America" has begun...

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

GATER, I believe Bonzi is already jettisoned. I dont think the Grizz picked up the 8M team option (couldnt find a trade partner) and Bonzi is now officially an unrestricted FA.

I agree that between Swift, Walker and Simmons...Swift is the most difficult to get as I dont see West doing S&Ts with us and I think we have a better chance with Boston and the Clippers for that. I dont think all 3 of them want to accept the full MLE but to me I think Walker and Simmons would do it before Swift would.

11. gucci888

That's a 5th seed WC playoff team. :)

But I completely agree your arguments. He's got a chance to play and start for an excellent team that are championship contendors. He won't have to pay a dime in income taxes (which is HUGE). Also, didn't Swift mention a while ago that the Rockets were his favorite team to watch while growing up?

However, I don't think we have a chance w/ the MLE alone. There will be teams offering 4-5M more per year, which is too large of an amount to turn down. A Swift deal would most likely have to come in a S&T.

Wesley + James + 2006 1st Round Pick for Swift + filler?

12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Ooooppsss!!!! :eek:

13. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

I say no to Swift. Haven't the Rockets learned any lesson on signing bad contracts. They sign Mo Taylor based on potential, he's not here anymore. Eddie Griffin was suppose the be a potential superstar that the rockets traded 3 draft picks, he's not here anymore. Swift was in his contract year and still did not improve. If that don't throw up the caution flags, what will it take for it to sink in CD head that this a bad risk.

14. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I agree with this 100%.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i disagree. when a player suddenly imporves in a contract year, like simmons, it throws up some red flags. if he didn't improve in a contract year maybe that means he has been playing his best no matter the contract situation. that to me is a good sign that after we sign him he won't regress in effort like dampier, who went from averaging 12/12 to 6/6 after his big pay day.

we are not going to offer a huge deal to land him. definitely no where near max. but MLE might not be enough for him. he averaged 9-5 in 21 minutes. we will get around 30 minutes at PF for us which would bring that average up to 13-7. we will probably give him about 6 minutes a night at center too. that will bring his average up to 16-9 in 36 minutes. thats about what walker would do for less money but walker won't get you close to 3 blocks per game.

a deal around 6-8 million a year would be a good deal for him.

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

And that sounds about like market value for a player with his size, skills, and upside.

17. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

You're still basing it on potential. This guy has been a poor rebounder hiis whole career, what makes you think he will average 9.

18. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

But doesn't it worry you that he actually performed worse in his contract year than in years past?

I'm really scared of Swift. Because he could come in and play great, or he could just be the 9/5 player that he's been the past 4 years. We already have a PF who can average 9/5 for us (Swift and JHo's rebounding/48 was exactly the same, BTW).

I know he's had to platoon with Lorenzen Wright and Gasol, but that's something else that worries me. With his natural ability, shouldn't he be better than those guys? At least Wright? Is there any guaruntee he'll improve if he come here?

I'm just not sold on Swift. I'm really not sure he's as good as some people think.

19. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

I say no to Swift and yes to Walker if you can him.

20. gucci888

It's hard to call Swift a "poor rebounder" because he has never been fully utilized. Grabbing 5 rebounds a game in only 21 minutes is pretty good, I believe it makes out to be 7-8rpg in regular starter minutes, which would be nice.