1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets will hold DMo to contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Dec 8, 2016.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The reason I don't think this is correct is that the contract calls for a $5m payment upon execution, which obviously has not happened. So, I don't believe there is a contract, only a binding agreement and that Dmo is the Rockets property - but is not signed.

DD

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

That's right. Well if BJ and DMo are dumb enough to risk entering back in RFA now WITHOUT the Jazz being involved than they really are dumber than I originally thought. They really have to be acting this way because they THINK they have other options.

3. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Scola didn't have D Mo's injury history. It's not fair at all to D Mo, but if he was really not an injury risk he could have taken the QO or even the non-guaranteed deal and turned that into a huge payday as a UFA.

Exiled likes this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Hmm Armstrong ... That's an Irish name . I did a little research and found out that BJ is not actually named BJ.. That's right his real name is Seamus

5. bongman

bongman Member

Those are just the 3 teams that we know of that are willing to throw him that kind of money (offer sheets). I understand your last statement and I agree with you. Just because somebody is willing to pay you tons of money for an item or service, does not necessarily mean that is a fair market value as others might be willing to pay higher/lower. The value of a million for millionaires is different from how us commoners view it.

6. Buck Turgidson

That's wonderful verbiage to point to in order to clear something up.

7. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I wonder what D-Mo is thinking. He knows he can't play for any other NBA team or outside of the NBA. He is under contract with the Rockets for $31 million if he just shows up and does his job.

Is he thinking should I just go to practice? Or should I call them and tell them I want to play.

He might be thinking of half assing the season, taking the $9 million and pulling a Royce White...maybe sign a 1 year deal with the largest bidder in the NBA (possibly overseas, but that's not smart) and hoping he can finally cash out after.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The problem is that where DMo is at now, he can't waste time crying over spilled milk. He can't field offers from other teams anymore.

If you're saying $1M is worth less to a millionaire, he should take $30M+ and quit striking over $6M.

If you're saying $1M is worth more to a millionaire, he should take the $30M+. That's a lot of money. :)

9. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Semen? Now I know where the B.J. "came" from. I think the other side of the body is more fitting to what he is.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

well, basketballholic did say it was Morey's next move.

As Coon's revised interpretation says, they either did that, or he is "deemed under contract" by an active FREN.

Either way, it appears Coon is agreeing that if you are on the team roster, you must be deemed under contract or on contract..

11. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Scola was an iron man and was honestly just a much better player than Motiejunas is currently.

subtomic and MrSabotage like this.
  12. jsingles

jsingles Member

13. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

New DMo thread?

[​IMG]

14. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Yeah, but Scola was still a role playing PF who had some nice post moves and wasn't the best defender? D-Mo can at least knock down the 3-ball and he's 7 feet tall giving him more advantages on defense (well, Scola did draw charges well).

The point is, D-Mo would easily get that and some under this new cap if he was not injured.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Coon has recanted that, because he did not realize the Rockets put DMo on the Roster. Keep up with the updates. Coon has gone back to his original interpretation that DMo is "deemed under contract" now

So I don’t know what’s going on with that roster sheet. Maybe something else happened that we don’t know about — for example, the Rockets are still within their rights to waive the physical, which would complete the match and make him a member of the Rockets. Or maybe he IS considered to be a member of the Rockets while the First Refusal Exercise Notice is still pending a physical — as I said, I think there’s room for interpretation here, and Daryl Morey certainly knows more about the situation than I do. Or maybe they just did it as a subtle message to D-Mo and Armstrong that the game’s over.
    So all said. You are absolutely, right, that technical DMo hasn't signed anything. We still don't really know if the two sides can alter the contract or not. I'm now leaning to that Watkins source was wrong. There was no ability to change Principal Terms of the contract, and the waive date was a Principal Term

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Plus he was flat out a better player.

1. Sola was a much better post player and player in general compared to D-Mo. He was a better rebounder, post scorer, midrange shooter, free throw shooter, and in light of the current situation, has much higher integrity. The only advantages D-Mo has utilized his height for is his hook shot and positional rim defense. He definitely hasn't done squat on the rebounding end.

2. D-Mo would have gotten what Scola got under this new cap provided he was injured. Well guess what, he was injured and Scola never was. Also, under this new cap, prime Scola would have gotten far more himself as well, so not sure what point you are trying to make here. Under the old cap, D-Mo definitely wouldn't have gotten anywhere near what Scola got.

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If certain things happened, DMo would be making a lot more money than Scola, sure. But Scola was averaging 16/9 in 33 minutes and hadn't missed a single game when he hit free agency. In fact, he's missed only 15 games in his entire career. DMo has never come close to averaging those numbers and only averaged 6/3 last year in a season shortened due to recovery from back surgery.

DMo might be frustrated, but the market is not acting irrationally here.

MrSabotage likes this.
  18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Assuming they get paid the same time and both are in their prime or close in age, D-Mo will never make more than Scola. Scola has been a beast since he came into the league, whereas D-Mo has only had one good "season".

19. bongman

bongman Member

I agree that he is in a disadvantage right now when it comes to options and he is digging his own grave. Les is a lot more richer than him and should be able to better absorb a $6M hit financially. Should we ask him to give him that extra money?

Point being, whether we agree or not that 6M difference is a huge or minimal disagreement, the 2 parties are not on the same page for whatever their reasons are. It wouldn't be fair for us to suggest that party X should give in because <fill in your reasons> as it is difficult to tell what is going on their heads.

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Scola just came off an 18ppg season when he signed that deal, and was a versatile scorer in the post or from 18 feet, and always shot over 50% from the field on his career, and hustled hard on defence.
    DMo just came off a 6ppg season on 43% from the field where a trade was rescinded because his back was no good, apart from one good month (November 2014) is a very bad defender who falls over a lot. He was getting the money on potential, and he should've run with it...