1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will hold DMo to contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Dec 8, 2016.

1. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I give him 1 month before he snaps his back again.

2. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm seen that guy post pics of DMo before.

I was going to say you should start the thread. But you can't right? Otherwise you'd would have done the Gordon Petition, thread. :D

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Funny he played more than 3 months at the end of last year and the playoffs without any issues.

DD

5. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I can't believe this isn't getting more traction. DMo has tired everyone out and they have gone into a coma.

6. heypartner

He owns Cle Day | Night and has 5000 friends on Facebook.

Makes sense he'd run into DMo. Makes sense he wouldn't care to make it up.

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Spot for sale.

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

If this latest news is true ( and I hope it is) it is lilkely due to BJ and his team not being able to find any seams ... Plus the upside of the actual contract .

If Dmo can play productively until March then he can guarantee himself 16 million dollars even without the incentives .

That's no joke even if you were hoping for much more .

The contract beyond that is team friendly for sure , but the million per year lost in incentives has nothing to do with that .

Besides , and I've been saying this all along, if Dmo plays well enough to have earned those incentives then he will make more than 8 mil a year . He is playing next to a superstar and with an organization that has an automatic shoe connection with China . He can more than make up for the incentives lost with endorsements ... But the only way to do that is to get his ass in here and play well.

The ball has been in his court all along and in the grand scheme of things 3 days isn't going to cost him . It was probably worth it given the precendence of the holdout for BJ and his team to do their due dilligence and try to worm their way out of another team was going to offer a bigger deal .

That being said the time for games is over and the time for playing games is becoming a pressing issue

Btw @FTW Rockets FTW this is what you call a premium post

ArtV, hakeem94, RocketWalta and 5 others like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

DMO's shirt says, "Never Back Down"

Never back down from what?

Needs more context.. Maybe another thread to fully flush out its meaning...

Vivi, craguin, DonKnock and 6 others like this.
  10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

That's what I'm thinkin

Edit. Or at least get this one to 20 pages within the half hour

11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

But he was dealing with pain.

12. heypartner

BJ Armstrong probably told him to wear it.

Vivi, DonKnock and DreamShook like this.
  13. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

The point here I think is similar to the reason "you don't negotiate with terrorists." Once you do, everyone knows you will and every player will expect every team to do it. It's a matter of setting a bad precedent.

I don't remember where I read it but I saw an article last night that said 29 teams were hoping Morey would NOT do the incentives when he wasn't required to because it would set a bad precedent for the entire league. That really brought it home for me.

Prior to that I'd been thinking, oh, give him the incentives. They aren't that much and they'll mean a happy D-Mo to add to our team, who may turn out to be on an incredible 4 year long bargain contract with tons of team options and protections. But when I saw the argument about not setting a bad precedent I realized that Morey doesn't just owe it to his boss to get the best contract; he owes it to the league not to set a bad precedent.

Mazulis, JeffB, RocketWalta and 5 others like this.
  14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I think the Rockets should either release DMo or cut him some slack despite being so dumb. After all they are hiring him to be a basketball player not a smart business negotiator.

Maybe give him a couple of million of the six million just to be merciful or give him some incentives that if he is injury free and meets certain criteria he won't lose the six million.

End this mess soon

hakeem94 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  15. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Can't do it. See my post above.

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Hopefully this is part of the reason where BJ caves . Once BJ realizes that other front offices have a stake in how these negotiations play out a lot of his leverage ( if he ever had any) is lost .

No longer was BJ negotiating against just the Houston Rockets , once it clearly became an RFA issue he made enemies with the rest of the league .

JeffB, Batman Jones and Hakeemtheking like this.
  17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

This isn't terrorism and I don't think we should think about this only from the point of billionaire owners.

basketballholic likes this.
  18. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Guys, it's over. DMo is back! It's on the internet (Instagram). Everyone knows that everything on the Internet is true! /thread

We will find out the details tomorrow.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Lies! There all lies!
    Where the link at tho

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He is right though.

This isn't about thinking of the owners' best interest, it's about the best interest of every team in the league.

If D-Mo and his agent can bully their way out of things during RFA, it gives future RFA players the same idea. Smaller, less competitive, and less successful teams will have an incredibly tough time retaining anybody.

It basically means that anytime a player In RFA dislikes his current situation, he can sit out and force his team to surrender their rights to the player, or to force them to offer a bigger salary to them. It means teams that are not as competitive will be forced to waste more cap space than what they feel the player is worth in order to keep them on the team.

Imagine if the Rockets are not doing well, and did not have James Harden. D-Mo would be forcing the Rockets to be less competitive by wasting unnecessary cap room on him. What if other Rocket players did the same thing, and Houston had to waste cap space on every single one of these players. Now the Rockets are forced to commit a ton of cap flexibility on players that aren’t worth the price but they cannot afford to lose, meaning they will forever be stuck on a treadmill.

#240 flamingdts, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    RocketWalta and PhiSlamma15 like this.