1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets wanted D'Antoni back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Sep 18, 2020.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

My gut thinks it'll either be Hammon or Silas. Silas is only 47 and was one of the final candidates for the job when MDA got it IIRC. Hammon got everything going for her--former professional basketball player, assistant under Pop, actually coached a team (it was summer league but they played well).

mikol13, Deckard, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  2. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Reading in between the lines, it looks like there's a disagreement between Morey and Tillman for what they want as HC. If Morey was pro-MDA, then I'm glad MDA got the right message from Tillman. It was quick, a bit dirty, but effective. They need to move on and right this ship. Something different is maybe what they need. As a fan, I'm tired of doubling down... "just gotta player harder"; "just gotta make their shots"; "they missed some and others will go in - they have to go in"; "there's nothing more I can say that James isn't already telling himself". The list goes on. He knew he had nothing more to give this franchise or at least our star players. Not being able to figure out 4v3 utilizing Russ with consistent success was maddening and a black mark in terms of his performance as coach this season, especially given that James has been getting doubled for the last 2 years. I'm glad MDA got the hint early on.

Lawlruschang and RayRay10 like this.
  3. hakeemthagreat

Would have been better off with Morey stepping down

4. vupac1

vupac1 Member

Prepare to get ratio'd my guy

Lawlruschang likes this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Iron bank....? Tillman got a tin safety deposit box underneath his bed.

SamFisher likes this.
  6. JW86

JW86 Member

Well that’s actually not good, if it’s true, but everything has been said. It was time, couldn’t have handled another year of Mike. Never liked the hire, was always skeptical of his ability to get us a trophy, but he did great and seemed like a fun guy.

Now the while highest winning % for our franchise doesn’t do anything for me. I’d still take Rudy T and Adelman as best coaches we’ve had, Bill Fitch was before my time. In any case, I’m happy and hope we take a chance on a new head coach who has some miles on him as an assistant. Definitely hell no to Jeff van Gundy or likes of McMillan and Gentry.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This is why Morey has to go. He thinks a system wins games, not good coaching.

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, Rockets wanted D’Antoni back (at around $2M).....D’Antoni felt disrespected.......quit on the plane back.

The rest is history. Shall the Rockets move on. The bus waits for no one.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Riiiiight.

Classic post facto nonsense

hakeem94 and CometsWin like this.
  10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

If a person can’t see right through this, then I don’t know what to say. EVERY single action they took going back a year showed that Tilman did not want him back. They disrespected the man over and over again, yet he stayed professional throughout all of it.

I’m actually okay with them going another direction, although I don’t really see the point with the current roster that’s in place, but please don’t lie about it. That’s just embarrassing. Tilman simply **** the bed again and is just trying to cover it up.

pugsly8422 likes this.
  11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Well definitely not now! He gone! Lmao!

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not sure why, he offered to let him keep his tips rather than pool them with the other coaches

TWS1986, tycoonchip and Dacamel like this.
  13. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

I enjoyed the run with MDA but I am glad he is gone. I do not think (and hope we don't) we get another coach who thinks its a good idea to pass up an open 2-point mid-range shot when your 3's are not falling. I know a lot of that is DM....but who passes up open (wide f'n open) 2's for a contested 3? Makes no sense. Utilize the WHOLE court and not just behind the arc and the paint. Do you ever think Bill Belichick ever told Brady to only throw 30 yard passes and to not throw to the open guy 2 yards out? Hell No! Different sport but same concept. You have to mix it up or you become way too predicable and then you do not even win 1 title, let alone 6 Championships.

14. pass_to_Hakeem

Ramo$e likes this.
  15. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

lol

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hope we grab a coach that plays twin towers, and posts up all game. :D

Watch Morey-Math absolutely destroy us in the playoffs while you casual Doris Burke’s cry about the meaningless height of your C.

hakeem94 and PeterKingX like this.
  17. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Lawlruschang likes this.
  18. caneks

caneks Rookie

what a drama!

hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  19. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I know things are progressive nowadays. It would be a welcome change in my book but will Hammon getting hired as a HC really happen?

20. realonemo

realonemo Member

How many times in the last 2 years would we see harden run pnr get a wide open middie and then dribble back to the three point line to take a contested stepback. That is just horrible even if u make that.