1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets want to trade 4th pick for win now vet might be interested in Zion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 13, 2023.

1. Joerex Jamisola

i don't think pelicans will do it! Zion have more value than a 4th pick

2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Only way I do this trade is if it is Zion plus their first round pick next year for Nix, KPJ, and Garuba. You gotta remember that Zion is a negative asset with that huge contract and failing health along with no real desire to play. He could’ve played in the playoffs (100% healthy) to help his team and chose not to.

Believe It! likes this.
  3. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

If you think he got fat on the Po Boys and Gumbo imagine the utter damage Texas BBQ and Tex-Mex will do.

4. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Only way I do this trade is if it is Zion plus their first round pick next year for Nix, KPJ, and Garuba. You gotta remember that Zion is a negative asset with that huge contract and failing health along with no real desire to play. He could’ve played in the playoffs (100% healthy) to help his team and chose not to.

roslolian likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

But then again, when he's on the court he's instantly a top 10 player at his really young age.

Like a healthy Zion instantly turns into a top 2-3 asset in the entire NBA.

cbass likes this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

i think they would do it in a second. They want out of that contract. Rockets shouldn’t do it.

groovemachine likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

It's the ultimate high risk, high reward asset.

If healthy he will be a annual top 5 player. Or he could be out of the league in a couple of years.

8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

You wouldn't give up Amen Thompson for Zion?

lmao comon clutchfans. it's a no brainer. Ime is the perfect coach for Zion.

invocux, Arnel and cbass like this.
  9. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

It’s not a question of Zion’s skill, his desire and work ethic look practically non existent. Trading him for even the 4 straight up would be wishful thinking that he will magically change his priorities, drive, and conditioning

Y2JT, cml750 and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

If he was on a rookie deal sure. But with his extension he has to be a top player every year to justify his contract, no?

theDude and fchowd0311 like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, Ime was the perfect coach for them ladies, they would have said.

Bo6 likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

True. He is a top player if healthy. None of his issues has to do with his production and talent on the court.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Zion is better than anyone on the team by a long shot, you have to take these kinds of risks and Tillman would love it.

The only reason they are considering it are all the reasons listed in here that folks don't want to take that shot, but that isn't how winning happens, those who risk and win, win big....those who never risk don't win ever.

DD

BamBam, Arnel, Bo6 and 2 others like this.
  14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

How exactly do you know they're considering it?

Talk to Stone lately?

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Of course.....and you?

DD

16. xaos

xaos Member

Regarding his weight? His body type seems ectomorph which makes it extremely hard for him to gain weight even if he made a full time job out of it. The fact that he had a full season off could potentially help him gain a little muscle mass considering he isn't offsetting his weight gain with basketball/cardio.

That doesn't mean he can't get strong (see Kevin Durant, skinny but strong) but I don't ever expect a Giannis type of transformation with him either. His game doesn't require for him to be Giannis, so that doesn't mean he can't succeed, but he definitely needs to get his BMI up because he entered the league borderline underweight which for a professional athlete that's just not good. There is a different between being skinny and underweight and he was pretty damn close to underweight. I've seen people compare Kevin Garnett, Mobley, Giannis, Durant, etc to him saying they came into the league skinny, but they weren't borderline underweight which is the distinction here. The game isn't played the same way it was 20 years ago so that's in his favor, but I'd still highly recommend him adding about 15-30 lbs of muscle mass (around 220) which could take a few offseasons (or he's closer now-- I haven't seen how he looks now).

17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He averages less than 1000 points, 300 rebounds and 150 assists per year. John Collins provides more than that.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I should also mention that I fully support a trade for Zion because he has an amazing last name.

#138 Williamson, Jun 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
  19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I feel like CHA & POR would trade #2 and #3 respectively for Zion before we would if he really was available for just this years lottery pick.

So if he is, I don't think the ROX even get a chance with #4 because NOP want Scoot and he likely gone by #4.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

On one hand, I could actually see NO dealing Zion if they could get a big return. On the other hand, the fact that they are willing to deal him tells you a lot about what they feel about his future (and they know him better than anyone). But important to acknowledge that the rockets are crap and Zion would instantly be the best player on this team. He literally carried NO into relevance when he was playing. Also important to acknowledge that availability is very underrated, and work ethic/discipline is a big part of becoming a great player.

I don’t like his attitude, but maybe Ime could break through to him. Honestly it’s probably worth the risk, but really depends on the compensation.