1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets want a young star and massive package of picks for Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Denovo

Denovo Member

Not really. Harden spoon fed Capela’s limited offensive ability to 16ppg. Woods can easily be 20+ppg next Harden this season at least.

Thats pretty easy to see.

He put up 30 on both Embiid and Gobert as a starter last season.

clos4life, D-rock, kevtse and 6 others like this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I really believe you can.

With the right system and right players of course you can.

Simmons is a true pure pass first PG with the size of a PF/C.

That’s the difference with Simmons and players like rondo (who can suddenly shoot now) and like Russ.

If teams sag off of Simmons in the playoffs and say ok shoot...he’s big enough and strong enough to post up.

Plus I believe with the right shooting coach and practice Simmons will at least be able to get a decent elbow jump shot. He’s only 24 and has plenty of time to grow and develop his game.

bmelo, D-rock and roslolian like this.
  3. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

It depends on how you define success. If success means championship, then yes, if the primary ball handler can't shoot, we're doomed. But if making playoffs consistently and win a series once in a while can also be called success, then it's fine if our best player can't shoot.

I think if we're not delusional, getting a young player that can make us a perennial playoffs team is the best return we can hope for in the Harden trade. No way we get a player that can grow to be the best player in a championship team. In fact, only one player under 25 is almost guaranteed to reach this level. Hell, we only have 3 players that is of this caliber in our more than 50 years franchise history. We missed the window of Harden because of Tilman's cheapness, don't even think about competing for a championship in the next 10 - 15 years.

raining threes and roslolian like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

@ThatBoyNick

More importantly both have more strengths in their game.

Simmons is at least one or two tiers below LBJ and AD.

Watch who he is compared to.

Physical strength is debatable, for someone who is 6'10 he isn't really the strongest, he is agile for sure.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Simmons is decent as a replacement for Harden. He is 24 man, we need to reset the clock and get a mulligan on contention.

Arguing about whether he is good enough to winn a chip or not is dumb cux Rox sre nowhere near contention. You take the best available offer and Simmons is much better than multiple low picks from a contender. He is also only 24, if Rondo and Lonzo can learn to shoot open 3s so can he.

D-rock likes this.
  6. riko

riko Member

The SIXERS are not or have ever OFFERD Simmons in any trade talks according to Woj. It’s not happening this season

D-rock likes this.
  7. raining threes

I refuse to think this way, even though you're probably right. I would play Simmons at PF next to Wood and Thybuelle (SP?) that's a fast frontcourt and look to draft a backcourt with the picks for Harden.

I really hope Tilman/Stone can help repair their relationship with WB, Harden.

D-rock likes this.
  8. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Yeah, if we can get Simmons, I think it makes sense to play him as a PF and surround his with shooters. If Hakeem can help him develop some effective post moves, he might be able to average 25 points per game. After all, his length and quickness makes him a mismatch for almost all the defenders, and he is not maximizing this advantage now.

Simmons will be a version of Giannis that is better at passing and playmaking, but worse in all the other aspects of the game. Can we compete with him as our best player? Probably not, but he is arguably better than pre-Rockets Harden, so who knows.

At his point I would say Harden for Simmons + FRPs is a no-brainer for me. And it makes sense for all the parties, we get probably the best tradable young talent, Philly immediately becomes a top contender, and Harden has a much higher chance to win in Philly than joining the Nets IMO. But Tilman might not want to make deals with Morey, Harden might not want to go to Philly, and Morey is going to try his best to take advantage in this trade, so no Simmons but Harris instead. The chance that this trade ever happens is pretty low, but we'll see.

raining threes and D-rock like this.
  9. hakeemthagreat

Simmons is a player who's so bad he REFUSES to shoot the basketball. You cant build a franchise around a guy who's that much of a liability

raining threes likes this.
  10. fattz

fattz Member

Sabonis & Brogdon with FRPs works for me. Pacers still have the potential to dangerous in the playoffs with Harden and the remaining Pacers plus the FA too.

We set ourselves up nicely, too. Now and later with or without Westbrook.

D-rock likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Perhaps but he is the better defender.

12. icewill36

icewill36 Member

lmao @ 20 ppg..... its easier to put up numbers on a bad team.

are yall forgetting harden is going to be traded ?

13. raining threes

Agreed, but he's an all star level player that needs to be playing PF so you can take advantage of his quickness. A Wood/Simmons Thybelle front court would be really good defensively. Plus with the Trailblazers pick and the 76ers pick in the 1st rd in next yrs deep draft you can probably find a quality PG and or SG in the draft or through trade. Say they draft a guy like Kira Lewis in next yrs draft, that's a really fast team.

14. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i think you just have to play him like giannis. put 4 shooters around him and let him work. of course he needs to improve his jumper but its not like every player on your roster has to be a good shooter for you to win or to have a great offense. he is a great playermaker with size and great defender. he would be a better scorer with more spacing. philly was awful last year. just too many pieces that didn't fit.

i think morey is basically going to give his roster a chance as is now that he has added shooters.... if it still isn't working by the trade deadline he will probably offer up simmons.

James.B.H, D-rock and bmelo like this.
  15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Aside for the bad team argument (which is something to consider, i agree with you), some people take for granted the chemistry it takes between two players to play the pick & roll as well as Harden and Capela did, that's why CP3 and DeAndre were a great combo while CP3 and Capela couldn't get it going, there's no guarantee Wood will be as good as Capela on that part, you just gotta wait and see.

D-rock likes this.
  16. hakeemthagreat

So basically it'll be another Westbrook situation on steroids. All teams will do is back off him, dare him to shoot, then guard the shooters. Our offense will come to a standstill with Simmons. Watching our offense with Westbrook was painful at times, with Simmons it'll be unbearable. I'd rather just get a borderline allstar with multiple 1st rounders. Ben Simmons could set us back 3-4 years

17. hakeemthagreat

If you play him at the 4, he'd be only useful as a pick & roll rim runner. Other than that he'd kill any spacing on offense. Teams will expose his inability to shoot

18. Rokman

Rokman Member

You don't just get James Harden for a couple scrubs and a pick. Could you imagine if we were attempting to trade for James Harden right now? We would have 0 assets to net him. None of our players and picks would be considered and I wouldn't expect anyone else to get him with any kinds of players like we have or some package of B- players and crappy picks.

D-rock and raining threes like this.
  19. raining threes

A PF rim roller that can hit 15-18 ft shot is valuable. My point is this would be a very good defensive team because of their quickness/speed. Depending on who they added at the PG/SG spots the team could be a great defensive team with the ability to score off of the steals/fast breaks. In addition to putting four 3 pt shooters around Simmons.

I hope fences can be mended and Harden stays in Rocket Red. Westbrook I can take him or leave him. I would only trade him if I got back something I needed. Pick #8 from the Knicks plus filler for instance. The only way WB gets moved is with a John Wall type deal. But to take that on they would have to give up Rui and or #9.

D-rock likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

You really don't watch a lot of 76ers games do you?

Simmons gets to the rim at will, whether they play man off/drop coverage or zone.

Think Russ before Covid/quad injury but at 6'10 and a better passer. Philly also uses a lot of motion off ball, lots of cuts, and other players can pass to Simmons when he is playing off ball/attacking rim without the ball.

icewill36 likes this.