1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets waiving Carmelo Anthony?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Nov 10, 2018.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Melo Bobblehead night is on Dec. 11. Melo isn't getting waived before then so y'all need to chill.

BigMaloe, hakeem94, Smacktle and 5 others like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

"I had no problems (with the hamstring). I had a problem with my butt sitting on that bench for so long," Iverson told the Memphis Commercial Appeal.

When a reporter suggested that the Grizzlies' bench needed Iverson's scoring punch, he disagreed.

"No. I'm not a bench player. I'm not a sixth man," Iverson added. 'Look at my resume and that'll show I'm not a sixth man. I don't think it has anything to do with me being selfish. It's just who I am. I don't want to change what gave me all the success that I've had since I've been in this league. I'm not a sixth man. And that's that."

BigMaloe, hakeem94, Easy and 5 others like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

dang ouch
    [​IMG]

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

is this like when you said he wouldn't be coming off the bench

Reeko, justtxyank and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fair enough. Just get rid of those guys.

Would be different if we had Iverson as a rookie and during his prime.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

Is he coming off the bench? Looks like no lol.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

he has when the season began and when he has played. for $50 if i recall correctly is what you posted

hakeem94 and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

He also started.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

once? so i guess you gotta backtrack what you posted now. classic

hakeem94 and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  10. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Both camps Melo and Rockets are posturing right now. I agree with several takes here.
    Houston does not want to be perceived as a "bad guy" but will not release him unless his camp asks for a release. The only reason Houston considers releasing him is if there is another move somewhere down the road.

Bottom line: Melo has gone through a lot personally and professionally the past 3 plus years. He has lost his way and should consider rethinking his value to a team. He is not the same caliber player he was five/seven years ago! There maybe three guys in the league who are just as good now as when they came into the league. (Bron, KD, James, you can add your own name here)
    If he can't figure it out with his PIC CP3 then I am not sure where he fits in the league at this point.

If he wants to be an alpha and just go out and hoop every night with no expectations or restrictions he needs to play for one of the bottom two teams from each conference. In all sincerity, i do wish him the best. No ill will on my part UNLESS he dumps on my team!

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

I respect Vince Carter, Mitch Richmond, and Robert Horry so much more

DaDakota likes this.
  12. icewill36

icewill36 Member

melo seems to want a role where he can be put in positions to score other than catch and shoot, but that IS going to be his role no matter where he is. he can score some on the post if he gets a smaller defender, but floor spacer is going to be the only way he gets on the floor. i dont think clippers or nets would want him tbh. he isnt doing himself any favors forcing his way out of yet another situation though i can understand not wanting to be third string behind the likes of ennis and clark. i dont think either side has given this enough time.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nba/la-sp-nba-woike-20181113-story.html

Carmelo Anthony should take a page from Vince Carter’s end-of-career playbook

Before a bunch of the NBA’s best players took the court Monday night at Staples Center, NBA scouts and executives in attendance gossiped about Carmelo Anthony, one of the league’s former greats, and whether there’s a spot for him on a roster in 2018.

Anthony, who is a Houston Rocket in a “for now” sense, will seemingly be looking for a fourth team in less than four months after a rumor-filled weekend and what will be his third missed game in a row because of an “illness” Tuesday night in Denver.

Assuming Anthony is released and no team claims him, his next landing spot is unclear.

It won’t be with the Clippers, a league executive unauthorized to speak publicly about it and requested anonymity told the Los Angeles Times. Across town, it’s a little murkier, but it seems unlikely. If the Lakers do decide to add Anthony, it means they’re desperate enough to try to resuscitate a career that some scouts and executives think is on the doorstep of being done.

If Houston decides to pull the plug on their one-year minimum deal with the former 10-time All-Star and future Hall of Famer after 10 games, they’re confirming what people saw after a full season in Oklahoma City. In the modern NBA, there’s little room for a veteran score-first player who can’t defend and who would prefer to live in the mid-range area than behind the three-point line.

It’s hard to pair him with a young team because he very well could stunt the growth of developing players. It’s hard to put him on a contender because there’s no track record of him helping in a reduced role. So, where does he go?

Anthony, who is close friends with LeBron James, will be carrying the burden of having to prove there’s still a place for him wherever he ends up next.

The Lakers, who could certainly use more talent, would need to talk themselves into gambling on Anthony at this stage in his career, where it’d be impossible to justify playing him instead of Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram or Josh Hart.

Similarly, there’s a lot of pressure on Jimmy Butler, who officially joined the Philadelphia 76ers on Monday after being traded from Minnesota.

The deal ends a months-long standoff with management that turned the Timberwolves’ locker room into a “soap opera,” as one Minnesota veteran termed it last week.

Butler, who left Chicago with some bridges smoldering, saw his reputation suffer after a season-plus of unremarkable results with the Timberwolves. Now in Philadelphia, he enters a situation with championship expectations — albeit with hints of locker-room unease.

Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid have wildly different personalities, with some around the league wondering if they’re headed for an eventual showdown. Add Butler to the mix for this season (and almost certainly the future), his locker-room reputation is tied to Philadelphia’s successes and failures, even as he ages into a lesser role behind Simmons and Embiid.

Anthony and Butler could both take a lesson from Atlanta’s Vince Carter, who at 41, nearly helped the Hawks upset the Lakers on Sunday night at Staples Center.

Carter was once one of the top stars in the NBA and one of the league’s best scorers before authoring multiple chapters as a role player in a variety of situations, including lesser roles on playoff teams in Dallas and Memphis.

“I made the decision that I wanted to stick around and I would do whatever it takes,” Carter said. “I still can do it — but it’s just not what’s called for.”

It’s not easy to go from a star to role player; it takes a desire for reinvention, and that’s not for everybody.

“It’s what people are looking for and what they want. Are they willing to commit to their new role?” Carter said. “Some guys I know who probably could still play this game just didn’t want to transition to a new role as a reserve.”

Carter said he’s fielded calls and questions from players asking for advice on how to extend a career. He’s figured out his role, his final chapter as a mentor for young players. After dunking and squaring up with James on Sunday, he went right to the weight room with 20-year-old rookie Kevin Huerter on his hip.

It’s why he’s still more than employable.

“I just wanted to play,” Carter said.

If things don’t change, a lot of people around the NBA aren’t sure how many more chances Anthony will get.

Vivi, snowconeman22 and DaDakota like this.
  14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hard to believe Iverson and Melo were teammates once, albeit briefly. Trying to out-selfish one another, maybe.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That hurts bro. No need to go for the low blow.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  16. bmelo

bmelo Member

that's misunderstanding brother, I didn't mean that (hitting 3s) but poorly communicated that. I meant giving points/contribution from corner 3 because that's all he is doing in halfcourt

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

When is Gary Clark Bobblehead night?

harold bingo and YOLO like this.
  18. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

Thanks, that was a good example. I was just fancying how ugly it would look if Melo requested to be waived and then was waived a second time by another team. Just trying to weigh his options. There seems to be more good for him to stay with us than to find a more perfect fit elsewhere. He may not care as much about the optics as he does about the actual playing time, but thinking it could be a factor he should consider.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

BTW - the bobblehead night will have ZERO bearing on any of this, that is just silly.

DD

20. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

I just wish I could read through some of these threads and get some actual information instead of having to read children playing NIGYSOB over and over.

hakeem94 likes this.