1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Rockets waive Josh Powell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Oct 23, 2014.

1. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

Aren't we still paying out $6 mil for Luis Scola?

2. DJ

DJ Member

All the best to Josh Powell. It's sad to see him go but I understand why.

3. bmd

bmd Member

He was injured last season. He had a lingering calf issue if I remember right.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Since it's been asked in the game thread...

Powell considers move to coaching

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Powell seems to be a smart dude, he was nothing special as a player but yeah a dude has to do what he got to do

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This is definitely a favor to Dwight since they cut his good friend.

7. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

He sat behind the Rockets bench tonight, maybe some1 can post a screencap

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

So we really wanted to get Kenyon Martin to coach. We also asked Powell to coach. I guess that means bang bodies with the bigs at practice. Capela will also need a lot of coaching.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah I found it interesting that Powell isn't even trying to get another gig playing around the league or in Europe, and automatically is auditioning for the Rockets coaching staff. I was pretty surprised to already see him on the bench last night.

Not sure what role he's auditioning for though. I'm assuming a player development role. The guy apparently really pushed Dwight this Summer in workouts, and seems like a well respected guy. If he's hungry and has a passion for making young guys better than he has my vote of confidence if they do hire him long-term for a development role.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Didn't know he's already 31, damn. Hope he has success with his coaching/mentoring role for our team or someone else.