1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets waive Josh Powell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Oct 23, 2014.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

no last minute trade before the season begins or at least one that isn't just to move a min contract.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Smith & Adrien should be gone.

3. bmd

bmd Member

Why should Adrien be gone? He's been the most consistent big on the team this preseason.

4. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

True, they could have used Powell and Covington's contract for salary matching if something was brewing.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't believe Powell's been waived yet. They just might hold onto him until October 27th (or whatever the drop-dead date is).

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Thing with Black is he's eligible to play with the Vipers until we call him up later in the year. Dorsey has more experience, and looks like he's starting to get into shape.

I don't know. Wish we could cut Garcia and keep Dorsey, Adrien and Black on the team.

7. basketballholic

Nor has Covington. You're exactly right.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Trade coming right!? RIGHT!?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Forward Josh Powell confirms he has been waived: &quot;I appreciate the Rockets organization for giving me a chance.&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/525387190923436033">October 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Forward Josh Powell waived by the Rockets: &quot;I definitely wish things could have been a lot different. I feel like I have a lot to offer.&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/525388236407848960">October 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Forward Josh Powell waived by the Rockets. Powell is close to Dwight Howard: &quot;He was speechless. He didn't have really too much to say.&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/525389200841908224">October 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

9. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

For sure Covington is gone. So, Powell now. New Johnson will be gone and then there is the other two...

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Black ain't going nowhere. You dig?

I really hope he does make the roster...

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

anyone who has a NG contract probably will be waived - I dont think the rockets will cut a contract that they will have to pay out for years to come.

I expect Nick Johnson and Dorsey to make the cuts along with Adrien.

Though I dont know about Canaan actually he has about 1.5 left on his 2 year deal that is guaranteed money.

I havent seen anything from Canaan so far that is so impressive that he should warrant playing time over the likes of Ish Smith and Nick Johnson (especially if defense is to be stressed this season).

12. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

i would hope they would keep the the better talent over the contract for a 1mil contract/2 years. they are still paying scola's contrct this year anyhow ..paying the difference of like 6.5 mil

13. basketballholic

Very possible. Until Rockets notify league, neither Covington nor Powell has been waived.

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Powell was just a contributor on those Lakers teams and he won a championship in at least 1 of those seasons I believe. What happened?

15. haydenfisher342

keep powell to keep howard happy

16. Chamillionaire

That's what I was thinking too. Would love to keep Black but Dorsey, Garcia, and Canaan all have guaranteed money. Looks like he may be the odd man out here. If we could stash him in RGV for a year to get experience and call him up at our convenience, that would be ideal but I'm sure someone else would pick him up like James Johnson.

17. NotChandlerParsons

I don't know why since we only signed this guy as a favor to Dwight anyway.

18. NotChandlerParsons

Check his stats, he was never really a contributor. His best shooting year was 46% with no 3 pointers.

19. Chamillionaire

Me too. Garcia and Ish need to get cut IMO.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm not too much in love with Garcia, either. Every time he checked into a game last year my wife and I would exclaim in unison (and dismay),

"Oh, s***."

Maybe McHale thinks Garcia is the only dawg with some bite on this team; maybe Garcia was injured last season and will suck less this season.

But why sign him to a contract at all if you don't intend to hold onto him, for whatever mistaken reason?