1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets waive Bruno Caboclo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeem94, Oct 13, 2018.

1. basketballholic

He does get pushed around some. But he's a natural rebounder. Has a nose for the ball. And his rebounding rate reflects that.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed he has a nose for the ball. And that is reflective in his high BB IQ. I just don't have belief he can take his strength to the next level. Honestly, I hope I am wrong. But I don't see him breaking through.

3. Garner

Garner Member

Qi needs to go talk to Yi Jianlian.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He seems to be caught extremely flat footed when recovering or trying to contest a shot after a step back or dump off by the attacker.

Jimmy says he may benefit from a pair of these:

Jimmy Choes!
    [​IMG]

#104 FLASH21, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    harold bingo likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

PJ Tucker and the Morris twins would like to have a word with you. :)

I'm with @Deuce on this. In basketball, length typically beats strength (and moreso now), but Zhou's not even strong enough to handle the Length players either, like Siakam...or Jerami Grant. Those two will just shove him aside.

hakeem94 and Deuce like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If only Caboclo could do something with his Wingspan, or pass it on to someone like Danuel House.

RudyTBag, hakeem94 and ThunderStruck like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yi Jian Lian's jumper is what kept him in the league for couple years. I did not see much rebounding or Defense.

#107 daywalker02, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  8. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Has he learned how to set a proper screen yet?

9. basketballholic

PJ is the exception. He is truly unique. They just don't make very many of those. And he's a Rocket.

Morris bros have average length combined with skills (offensive). Marcus isn't bulky. He's average build for NBA player. Kieff is average build for a big.

In today's game defenses have to worry and strategize much more about bigs being taken outside and danced around then they do getting banged signs by other bigs. Qi can be danced around for sure. But his absurd length combined with feet that are quick enough to trail the small to the basket causes because pressure and hurries smalls into less efficient finishes. Qi is very good at using his length to recover on smalls.

I think the IDEAL big to pair with PJ's strength, quick feet and bulk is a super long defender like Qi that can shoot the 3. Yes, I'd love Qi to be even quicker and stronger. But he ain't. If he were he'd have went #1. But he's got what I consider the base of a great skills blend with PJ. Need to continue to continue to improve. Needs to get his core stronger but without bulk that decreases his speed and stamina.

This is where I part ways with a lot of people in player development. I believe you look at a players physical advantages and build on them. You don't try to turn him into something his natural body isn't built for. Qi's natural advantages are his extreme length combined with his thin frame that make it possible for him to lope back and forth up and down the court as a running big man, running the wheels off bulky big men. Then in half court sets, once again, using his absurd length, to hoist a 3-ball up over that opponent bulky big that's out of breath and lollygagging in the paint trying to get Qi to bang bodies with him.

Let PJ bang. Let Qi do what his body dictates and help him get better at it.

jcf and hakeem94 like this.
  10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Coming back to Bruno. He is shooting better, but he isn't quick enough. Lack of physical and mental strength/ stamina is impeding him from making genuine progress.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

IMO this guy could end up being a new-age 4/5 in the NBA as a backup and he's plenty fast/quick for those positions. His wingspan is comical, he disrupts so much inside and shocks shooters who think they're shooting over him. He's not ready yet, but then again we are playing Danuel House, Nene, Hartenstein and Clark for backup 4/5 minutes.

After 15 games, he's hitting 42.5% of 4.9 3PA. Also, 7.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocks in 25 minutes. I wonder if he would have been further along developing with a team other than the Raptors, but it doesn't seems to have stopped Siakam or OG from developing so who knows. At the moment though, he is sustaining good effort and improved G league play.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think once the Rockets open up some roster spots moving out MCW/Melo/Chriss etc, they can take a more serious look at Bruno in terms of adding him to the roster.

D-rock, charlieaustin and RudyTBag like this.
  13. bmelo

bmelo Member

Great, lets put our hopes into cut gleaguers :) Morey needs to get his **** together his passiveness is looking worse and worse

cheke64, GotGame15 and saleem like this.
  14. saleem

Please give me any reason why do you think that Bruno can help the Rockets. His shortcomings are known to the entire NBA and to most fans who have followed him. His performances in the G-League are not spectacular by any means.

15. saleem

Yup, Morey needs to get better players than Bruno etc.

16. basketballholic

Glad to see @Mathloom and I agree. We need a roster spot. Edwards or Hartenstein a part of upcoming trade???

17. saleem

Hart could be traded. How can Vince be moved? He is an Exhibit 10 player if he is brought back on the Rockets.

18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I think he's referring to this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Looks thiccer than it really is. He removed almost any body fat.

If you watched him in the NBA, he still avoided body contact and preferred the jumper over banging down lown.

bmelo likes this.
  20. bmelo

bmelo Member

I mean i got friends that after 2weeks of training get bigger muscles. He had to work his ass of just to be regular dudes weight it seems