1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets waive Anderson and Ohlbrecht

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Fantasma Negro

Good now sign Ronnie Brewer

2. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

If Dwight cared about winning he woulda took less than the max

3. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I think they're gonna try the "Dwight/Asik combo" experiment. I don't see Asik a back up and that's too much money for the Rockets to have at the center position to begin with. They are either going to trade him or use him as a starter at center and play Dwight at power forward.

4. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Would u take less money at your job?

5. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

for 2 benchwarmers? lol

6. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

b/c the company would have extra $$$ to bring in assets to help your company flourish A.K.A. win a Championship? Whats 5-8 million dollars for Dwight really gonna change?

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

I liked Anderson, showed flashes then faded from playing time and disappeared on the bench (which is sort of the same thing).

8. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

Hopefully we can get Anderson back, and he can sign the veterans minimum. He was a great asset to the team. A great defender.

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

so one spot to fill with the room exception... who's gonna take a couple mill to play for a contender?

10. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

I'm saying Lebron wade and bosh took a cap hit

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

if we don't trade for one, we're still going to have max cap space to bring in a player in 2015 whilst keeping harden, howard, parsons, beverley either in contract or cap holds for bird rights.

Lebron, Wade and Bosh took a reduction to keep chalmers, and enough space for haslem so as to use the mle on miller, 3 guys all splitting a paycut to keep core long term players is very different to asking one person to take a paycut for bottom of the roster min salary guys (who could then re-sign anyway if they wanted to)

#71 Aleron, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  12. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Didn't he already take less money by not getting a fifth year? That was one of his sacrifices for choosing us over LA. The Miami trio got 6 year deals with powerful player opt outs for the 5th and 6th years.

I think all is alright. We can sign guys for vet mins and rookie contracts even if we're over the cap which has done just fine. We've still got the room exception and trade assets/non guaranteed contracts to clear more.

13. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

williams>anderson

14. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Wish we could have kept Anderson. He was a decent backup for Harden.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't really fault anyone in his prime not taking a paycut, if you think about it if Dwight really wanted the most $$$ he could get then he would have stayed in LA, not only does he have a guaranteed 30M there, the endorsements and shoe sales from being the next franchise star of the Lakers would have been pretty significant. When people talk about paycuts or paying the luxury tax they're usually discussing somebody else's money, if you ask them when's the last time they took a paycut they'd have nothing to say.

And as far as winning goes I don't think Anderson or Ohlbrecht are that big a deal, if they clear waivers then we should get them back. Remember most of the FAs have already been signed, I dunno if other teams still have roster spots for these two.

16. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

guess this was coming after the williams signing...anderson was too inconsistent for me, didnt really do anything in the playoffs either...hope he finds a roster spot somewhere though

17. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

still worried about our wing defense and off the bench instant scoring

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

They did it to fit Mike Miller and Udanis Haslem under the cap. If Howard giving up $2mil/yr so the Rockets could sign JJ Redick or Paul Millsap, then he probably would do it.

But for James Anderson? Not really necessary.

19. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Thanks for the depth chart. Nice work.

I think Howard will start at the 4 though.

Covington and Canaan will likely be spend the season in the D-League to get their skill level up to NBA ready (Rockets usually take this path for their Rookies).

I wonder what the Rockets are going to do with the Room MLE 2.6m (2 years). If they have a target and are they going to wait until the end of Summer. I think they need to spend it on a PG/SG or PF/C. Jennings is a chucker but the Rockets may take a gamble on him, hopefully being on a good team will straighten his attitude.

20. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Well, he didn't really have to. There is no 3d star waiting, that we need to clear cap space for. If he took, lets say a million less, all that would've meant is that we could've kept Anderson and Ohlbrecht - and both of them are not game changers.

And if we want that 3d star, we will get him through a trade that would probably include Asik and/or Lin.