1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets vs. Kings According to the Sacramento Bee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by A_3PO, Feb 14, 2007.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sacbee articles on the home team are some of the blandest out there. Not much of a read.

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/123322.html

A rough night
    Artest scores 39 but makes two blunders handling ball
    By Scott Howard-Cooper - Bee Staff Writer

Last Updated 12:23 am PST Wednesday, February 14, 2007
    Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C1

HOUSTON-His night of basketball schizophrenia complete, Ron Artest said he lost his footing but not his way and that he still thinks the ball should be in his hands in the tense moments. So at least he has a point guard's mentality.

It was after his swerving Tuesday night at the Toyota Center. Artest tied a career high with 39 points, but he had made two critical mistakes as the ballhandler, one a mental lapse and another a failed execution with a chance to win the game.

He also had eight rebounds and the stated support of coach Eric Musselman. But the Kings had a 109-104 overtime loss to the Houston Rockets after leading by nine with 4:09 left in regulation.

With 7:12 to play in the fourth quarter, Artest dribbled out the 24-second clock, with no apparent awareness he was near a turnover. At the time, the Kings were building momentum for what might have become one of their biggest victories of the season and the symbol of their February recovery.

Then, with the chance to win after Artest had stolen the ball, the Kings called timeout with 23.5 seconds left in the fourth. In a 97-97 game, they could play for the last shot.

Artest brought the ball into the frontcourt and worked the clock down. He lost his dribble about 35 feet from the basket, picked it up and passed to Mike Bibby, then got a return pass. Artest lost the handle again.

Houston grabbed the free ball. The Rockets were unable to turn it into a last-second basket, but they had survived that final defensive stand without the Kings getting so much as a shot, reaching overtime.

"I just know next time not to lose the ball," Artest said. "Next time, to make sure I get the bucket."

The explanation was simple enough. The night was Artest's potential greatness and uncertainty come together.

"I slipped twice, unfortunately," he said. "The ball got caught on my leg one time. The other time, I lost my footing."

Bibby was on the floor at the critical moment. He was asked later about the difference between an experienced point guard handling the ball in that kind of moment and a small forward who has been entrusted by former coach Rick Adelman and Musselman to run the offense.

"I'm just here," Bibby said. "I'm just here."

The Rockets would not waste the opportunity of overtime, building a 107-104 lead with 33 seconds to go. The Kings still had enough time for a comfortable play and a three-point attempt to tie but got another failed execution instead. John Salmons became trapped along the sideline, and Luther Head knocked the ball away from him.

End of chances.

The Kings fouled immediately to stop the clock. Then they quickly fouled again to send Head to the line, hoping he would miss at least one and they could stay alive with a three-pointer and a subsequent foul.

When Head made both with seven seconds left, the margin had grown to an insurmountable 109-104.

"There were a lot of frustrating things to that game," Kevin Martin said. "Just because we lost."

This was merely the biggest test for the resurgent offense that had grown from the ruins of the 10-point third quarter Jan. 26 at New Orleans. The next night, the Kings shot 52.7 percent against Dallas, a quality defensive team, and took off from there until the winning streak had reached five and the shooting had become uncommonly accurate.

Entering Tuesday, the Kings still were just 22nd in the league in field-goal percentage at 44.9. But starting with that previous pass through Texas, they had played eight games, shot 50 percent or better three times and better than the 44.9 two other outings. Among those at the real gold standard -- 50 percent -- two were at the expense of teams in the top 10 in shooting defense, the Mavericks and Hornets.

The Rockets, though, were No. 1. The Kings started strong, only to finish at 44.4 percent, encouragement and disappointment merged again.

2. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

I like the very last sentence

3. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Well that about sums it up.

Watching the Kings get to the line over and over in the first 3 was agonising.

Thank God they reverted back to JVG-D in the fourth and overtime, and Tmac's eventual hot streak. I knew he would come to play in the fourth. :p

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Word is that Artest doesn't really get along with Bibby and Musselman and he could be had for the right price...

5. johnrox

johnrox Member

bibby was good, but not this year, mistakes or not, you still put the ball in your best players hands. not that it always works out, tmac fumbled away something similar a few games ago. in any case, artest had a monster night and if sac feels he is schizo, by all means let him go, but the man can play

6. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

I don't know why a lot of people heap a pile of praises toward Artest. To me Artest is a good player but way overhyped!

I was glad to see Artest handled the ball at the end of the game instead of Bibby, turn over, Rox wins...ha ha ha!

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'd love to have this guy. Anyone who thinks he would be derogatory to our team: see Maxwell, Vernon.

8. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

I know why Biby was not good this year, he wants to leave SAC from the beginning of this season. But the trade between Knights and Kings failed for unknown reason.

9. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

who are the knights?

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Ever seen "Like Mike?"

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Before this season, I'd have LOVED to add Ron Artest to the Rockets - but now I'm not so interested. I honestly prefer Shane Battier at this point. No, Battier isn't the offensive player that Ron Artest is and he might not even be quite as good defensively, but he isn't the headache Artest is either. Battier couldn't fit this team anymore perfectly.

12. Gale

Gale Member

The Cavalliers i think.

13. vmac

vmac Member

"There were a lot of frustrating things to that game," Kevin Martin said. "Just because we lost."

That's right K-Mart. One of those things is you getting blocked by T-Mac twice in the final minutes of the game. :cool:

14. Pocket Rockets

what i don't get is why they didn't let bibby handle the ball and either do a pick n roll with artest to try and free artest or have artest at the wing and let bibby pass to him with 7 sec left?

im glad they screwed it up

15. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

This guy makes Vernon Maxwell look like a saint. For example, Maxwell never got into a public fued with Magic Johnson.

That said, Maxwell still crashed and burned to the point that he was unable to help the team on the 2nd championship run. Thankfully, we won without him but he DEFINATELY jeapardized the team with his antics.

No thanks

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Say what you like about Artest's temper, which is well documented, but the man plays with a real joy in the game, which I love to see. Without him last night, the Kings were burnt toast. He had a terrific game. That the Sacramento rag would respond in this fashion says more about them than it does Artest, and nothing pretty.

And I thought the Chronicle was bad.

17. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

I agree. I was a little surprised to hear the hometown paper calling out their superstar. Either the writer is just throwing around his opinion carelessly or the town must really not like Artest and want to get rid of him.

18. jordan_123

jordan_123 Member

artest would be so good in houston ,if we can get him we get him..but i'm happy with the current roster though.all the way all the way

19. stq

stq Member

Artest is one of top3 defenders in the league, and he can give you 40pt a night.

where is the hype?

20. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

lol, how can a hometown newspaper shaft a player like that who just gave you 39 pts and tied a career high...