1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets TV Broadcasts (major OUCH!)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

look, post your views all you want but give some thought to not being a class A jerk in how you say it. Like try not speaking from the hand of God, like you know everything. And try to be nice to Tim for giving us all the information he does.

My lord, just because you can hide behind a keyboard and monitor does not mean you should just say whatever, however you want. Free speech and all but try to have some level of civility. I seriously doubt you'd be this rude to Tim or anyone else in person. And if I'm wrong, then all the worse.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Riley,

I am not being rude to Tim at all, I am merely pointing out that his participation on this issue or any issue is one that is slanted in a "Sell more tickets" manner.

I don't begrudge him this, I do the same thing when talking about my video games, but I also expect that people understand that I am not going to be saying anything negative about the choices my company has made, even if I don't completely agree with them.

There is no harm in pointing out these issues, and I am sure Tim understands it as well.

If you are offended by my piont blank approach, then I can not help you.

I am merely offerring my opinion, not saying it is from the hand of god, just an opinion.

I have often said I appreciate Tim's participation on this board. It shows that he is a classy guy and cares about what fans think about his team. That is awesome !

However, since he works directly for the Rockets and therefore is obligated to speak from the companies point of view, I think people should take it with a grain of salt.

Again, my opinion.

No one is hiding behind a monitor, just posting my thoughts, just like you.

DD

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lol, why do you want to stir up trouble? It's a wonder he posts at all with the reception he gets. Plus, you're delusional if you can't see the negativity that pervades the board. That isn't a discredit to Clutch, it's just the nature of the community.

4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Now this was thoughtful.....

:)

As to the negativity...I totally disagree.

Whenever good things happen people are very positive about it.

Things are debated, sure, but positive things evoke positive responses.

Anyone that has seen Cynthia Cooper stumble through a half-time show can see that she is less than adequate.

Just because something negative is talked about does not mean the board is negative.

Sensitive....sure, but not negative.

DD

5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

in light of your response, which was entirely civil and not offensive in tone, perhaps was wrong about your earlier posts. in any event, it seems we agree to agree on how it should be done.

thanks.

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Funny thing is that you can never know how people read your posts, whether they get the tone you are using.

Very hard to come across in an email or bbs post.

Emotes help, but not always.

DD

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutch BBS = Showtime at the Appollo

Cooper = booed off Amateur Night

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Well, I don't think I have ever posted anything disrespectful to Tim, and I'm not intending to stir up trouble either. But I don't think it's fair to reduce the whole community to labeling it "all negative", because that's actually not true :).

9. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

I am superior, by virtue of my spelling!

;)

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I think it is safe to say that this board *can be* very negative at times...

if you dont see that..youa re either blind or delusional(or one of the posters that is always negative)...

geeze...this place sometimes.

btw..DaDakota, yes, you do come across pretty strongly at times..but I think most of us expect that by now..

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

Ive always felt that Newlin has just as much insight as Murphy, but just doesn't deliver it with the same flare and pagentry that Calvin does. Newlin has always been so Plain Jane in his delivery. every so often, hell catch you with an in your face type of comment.

What about luring Jim Peterson away from the Minnesota broadcasts?? I caught him on NBA LP a couple of times in the past. He seems competent.

12. codell

codell Contributing Member

BTW ...since the CC job is open ...maybe someone can start a poll with a list of 10 candidates??? maybe Tim will take notice :cool: :cool:

my nominees

Bullard
    Newlin
    Scott Brooks
    Sleepy Floyd
    Cedric Maxwell

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Depends on whether you are in the UK or the US.

:p

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I know, I am a pretty blunt fella.

DD

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

"Irretractable" from a representative of the press is not drawing a line Tim can't cross without losing face? What if Mrs. Alexander calls Tim and tells him he really must hire Coop to promote diversity and enhance the Rockets image.

Now, he has to face embarassment or resignation.

In all probability however, this would not happen since inflicting Coop on all the dogs and cats that watch the Rockets games would probably constitute cruelty to animals.

:D

I've had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Cooper and she is a perfectly lovely person and has established herself as true legend in Houston sports. I wish her well in all her future endeavors and hope she will decide to devote her full attention to her family and charities where she can have the most positive effect for the most people.

#235 Dubious, Aug 3, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  16. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

I am superior by virtue of my spelling, and the fact that I am located in the UK!

:p

17. aghast

aghast Member

A truer analogy has never been spoken, tinman. The Apollo audience is not all that well-informed, and is quick to pounce on the first false note or odd appearance. Once the first boo is emittted, deserved or not, it isn never drowned out by applause, but quickly multiplies in strength. Similarly, if you're cute enough, young enough, or wear a shiny enough outfit, the Apollo audiece is easily placated for a few minutes. And the Apollo also tosses out the frequent sacrificial lamb (like many a trade post) knowing that he/she is pathetically untalented, hoping he/she will be eviscerated by the coliseum crowd.

Of course, the Apollo audience, and the Clutch BBSers, though not experts, can tell gross differences in talent. For every cute, young-looking Boki we wildly overvalue, we can also tell when an Amaechi is just riding out a fat contract. And just as those who show up at the Apollo week after week, the posters who regularly seek out ClutchFans represent the most stridently passionate of Rockets fans. The Apollo has a Stepin Fetchit clone to sweep away bad performances; ClutchBBS has a lock and key JPEG.

With all respect given to her former basketball talents and role in the community, Cynthia Cooper I think falls into the latter category. She does, as someone else mentioned, remind me a lot of Magic Johnson doing play-by-play with NBC after his first retirement in the early 90s. Whatever her talents and basketball knowledge (which, based on her play, is obviously extensive), she is not an articulate broadcaster, unable to transfer her obvious insight into words for the home audience. This is unfortunate, seeing as that's pretty much the job description.

Of course, Magic, though not necessarily good, is now competent when he shows up on the TNT studio set. And, as outlaw makes note, I and I suspect many others have not heard Cooper do color on the Comets games. Maybe she's the opposite of Magic: marble-mouthed in front of the camera's terrifying red light, full of flair with the headphones on and the court in front of her. So, the veracity of Clutch's/Chance's sources vs. the historical integrity of Tim aside, either way there's always hope.

Anyway [rubs log], that's my take.

18. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

Tim has never steered us wrong in the past.......im gonna go w/ past history on this one. valid points tho DD.

19. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I thought this thread was done when Tim made his first post.

Apparently not.

Either way you look at it, you're beating a dead cat. If Tim is correct (which I don't understand why anyone would question his integrity), it's a non-starter. If he felt compelled to lie for business reasons, everyone here is bright enough to turn the TV sound down and the radio up. Hell, us league pass folks didn't even get much Bill and Calvin last year; we got the other teams' freakin' lousy announcers so count your blessings. At least you guys can get Gene! Twooooooooooooo!

20. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Tim, I appreciate what you've shared, and dissin people is easy when you don't know them personally. but when it comes to coop's abilites, (as in lack thereof), I've been in radio over 20 years, and she ihas no place holding a microphone and interviewing people. Cynthia CAN play hoops, and would kick the as* of most posters, or maybe all,me included. Pleaswe help whomever to see the light and let people excel at what they do best.

go roc kets!