1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets turned down first-round pick offers for Eric Gordon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 11, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Porter has done a lot of things in the past.

He was suspended and kicked off his high school team..... he was suspended and kicked off his college team and he was suspended and kicked off his first NBA team.

He has a history of violence against women, he rolled his car with an unregistered gun and mar1juana.

With the Rockets he has had more than one dust up that they have kept internal but we already know that he got into a scuffle and left the arena in the middle of a game.

That doesn't even get into what he did in Cleveland.

My point is that he is not exactly someone that is a model for other players to emulate..... and then there is Wood and there is Schroeder, who not only gang beat a man, but is probably the least popular player in the league with other players.

So keeping Gordon around because he is a good influence doesn't pass the smell taste to me. if it were that important, they wouldn't have Schroeder on the team.

You can have one really questionable guy on a good team, maybe two on a great team with a great culture.... you can't have three, especially when your best player can't even legally drink.

2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Even if we use the FRP pick to move up 1 slot on the BKN pick, that's still better than taking minutes from Green and having Gordon score us out of a top 3 pick.

#142 withmustard, Feb 11, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    slothy420, tmoney1101, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Why would OKC trade down for more picks in this year's draft? I can see them trading for future draft picks, but not additional picks in this year's draft when they already have so many.

mikenm268 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  4. sydmill

sydmill Member

This all makes sense. However, what about the idea of using that pick on a foreign player like Nzosa or trading back into the second and picking two foreign bigs (Badji and Diop for example) and letting them get seasoned in Europe for another season or two? The only explanation that would justify not pulling the trigger on this rumored deal is having another deal lined up that was contingent on a specific range of draft picks the rockets would acquire with EG.

D-rock likes this.
  5. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

This is the tweet I meant to link.

sirjesse and conquistador#11 like this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

As mentioned do it for EG unless he was against having to go play for a garbage team.

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Looks like an 8th seed to me at best. Can't say I am heartbroken about that. I am more intrigued at gambling that the Nets draft picks will be good. If they suck, well they suck.

In this case, I am a mystery box guy since I wasn't super excited about the possible players that could of come back to the Rockets.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

I draw the line at Schroeder. I wa trying really hard to follow this team, but having to watch Schroeder steal the minutes from the rookies is unexplainable.

Owner is a joke and front office too, "pundits" here trying to loop around this failure of a season are a joke. No one was asking for value, just free minutes for young guys, and they were incapable to do that.

Crashlanded19, B-Bob and tmoney1101 like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. dmoneybangbang

That would be most optimal.

I would have preferred just moving Gordon even though I'm not a big fan of having 7 or more rookies within two seasons of each other. I just feel like you are getting diminishing returns with that many rookies. The picks are more valuable than the actual players that are drafted so you do have a narrow window in which to flip a pick(s).

I said it before, but I would have taken that Cavs deal that Lavert got. Seems like the FO is betting they can still get a FRP at a later date. Time will tell.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

All that is bad for sure but my greatest gripe is that Rockets FO let an unstable personality like KPJ influence their franchise altering top 2 pick, whether directly or indirectly.

Likely both.

KPJ openly lobbied for Green before all the top picks were vetted, this was to the team's detriment.

KPJ relationship with USC and Mobley's father appeared to play a role with Mobley not working out for Rockets.

But most of all Rockets organization telegraphed their draft preference to point where no high draft pick was willing to work out for team.

Not just unprofessional but inelegant and inept.

Little Bit and El_Conquistador like this.
  12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Agree, but I think most people are more mad about EG, Schroder, and Wood... than they are the hood.

13. dmoneybangbang

This. He will play for like the 30 remaining games and then be gone. EG will be in and out of the lineup with various soft tissue injuries.

14. conquistador#11

Someone slept on posting "Is this appropriate for a GM" like they did with the hot head coach
    [​IMG]

And yes, there is nothing wrong with Carter's drip. It's perfect. GM on the otherhand, looks like he is going to Walmart at 2 am and sleep in late for his economics class. Do something, Felicia.

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

a lot of doom and gloom for a team we want to lose every game.

MrButtocks and dmoneybangbang like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

THIS Rockets team can only DREAM of the 8th seed.

And I remember a young Rockets team with recently acquired James Harden that was not supposed to be talented enough YET to make playoffs. Harden proved everyone wrong.

But you act like that unit would not improve and or change. That starting 5 is a foundation that you keep building around.

And that foundation is much more sound than what Rockets are fielding RIGHT NOW.

And its not even close.

17. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I think the frightening part is we do know the whole story.

D-rock likes this.
  18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Rockets get Jabari, Chet, Paolo or AJG, none of this bickering matters.

sometimes you gotta hit the bottom to know where you want to go.

19. dmoneybangbang

This. The owner clearly choose rebuilding with the mystery box.

20. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

We are rebuilding. Let's keep a soon to be 34 year old when we can have a first round pick. Surely someone will give us the same offer next year......(I'll be watching......)

Je me souviens mon ami.