1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets turned down first-round pick offers for Eric Gordon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 11, 2022.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

i have faith in stone. he's holding out like mauri with bent salmons. he'll come thru for us. tillmen is great!

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You didn't get blasted but yeah, dude was protective of the FO.

He said other teams not the Rockets leaked it. Shrug.

3. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I guess it makes sense because this draft is really lacking talent from like pick 10 on. Or at least no one that’s super impressive. Also there is a need to collect draft picks in the years of our nets swap or we are in danger of never having them convey. So in a sense I understand the hard line of future picks.

But then you realize Gordon is 34… and has a significant injury history… and is playing at his highest level now… and the field is as open as it’s been with multiple buyers… and that you could always trade firsts for later firsts…

I guess our guys have never heard the saying one in the hand?

KingCheetah, Nook and No Worries like this.
  4. StevieCrossover

I like Eric Gordon, but we could have got something than nothing. He does bring some vet leadership to this team and seems like he wants to be here so I am fine with him staying. I Believe we need some vets on the roster to help guide the future instead of all rookies, blind leading the blind scenario.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

absolutely not.

he earned his contract which pays him handsomely. That’s all.

Y2JT likes this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If a cap effecting salary was attached to a low first round pick or to a young player with limited upside for Eric Gordon, then it makes no sense to trade him. I believe his latest injury also reduced his trade value , since he's 33 years old. Eric will be on an expiring contract for all practical purposes next year.

@ApacheWarrior @Deckard @Nook

ApacheWarrior and jcmoon like this.
  7. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

The Rockets have been known to lie quite frequently at trade deadlines under this ownership. No matter how incompetent they are, there is no way in the world they would turn down first round picks (albeit late ones) for an aging veteran with no future on this team. Prior to the trade deadline they flat out lied to us by putting out a PR that they were looking to make a “big splash” move for a star player. Knew the second it came out that it was BS and based on their post deadline comments of the past….this is part of their playbook. HATED the Stone arrogance and ego on the Athletic interview and feel like they (Stone & Fertitta) are out for one thing and one thing only: TO SAVE MONEY, while making it appear that they are working hard to improve the product.

#47 Imanimal, Feb 11, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    BHannes2BHonest and Der Rabbi like this.
  8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Well it’s official, Rafael Stone is an idiot. Get us the Pacers Gm.

9. a time to chill

I'd have been happy with just one late first-round pick for Gordon. Next year we will be lucky to get a 2nd.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Came here to say this.

And I have something of a hard time believing that the teams who offered a draft pick were all like "BUT IT HAS TO BE 2022!". Nobody was willing to push it out to 2023 or 2024?

Deckard, D-rock and mikol13 like this.
  11. JD88

JD88 Member

Exactly.

Having a draft pick doesn't mean you have to draft a player.

So dumb.

slothy420, D-rock and apollo33 like this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Breaking news: a late 1st round pick still has value, whether you use it or trade it. Josh Christopher is reporting live from Houston.

good enough for San Antonio I guess but not Houston. Thank God we’re not emulating that awful organization. ;)

Deckard, BHannes2BHonest and D-rock like this.
  13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

#53 Rockets34Legend, Feb 11, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    hakeem94, D-rock and Aruba77 like this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think the Rockets will be tanking next year. They might not be winning much, but I think they will be trying.

I do not see not wanting a late FRP as an indictment that the scouting department is not good. I see it as trusting the scouting department's evaluation that the players the they have already are as good (or inconsequential differnce) than a late FRP in what may be a thin draft.

On trading the late FRP for a future asset, teams should have offered the future asset for Gordon if those assets were of similar value.

15. MystikArkitect

We went from Les Alexander, James Harden, Mike Dantoni and Daryl Morey

to

Patrick Fertitta, Kevin Porter Jr, Stephen Silas and Rafael Stone.

That fruit loops hot dog pretty much sums up this franchise.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Other teams seem to have accepted 2022 1st rounders for players at the deadline. Are we really saying they hav no value?

if we had done a deal with some time to spare we could have rerouted that 2022 1st somewhere else in another trade that makes the team better.

just small minded thinking.

D-rock and DeBeards like this.
  17. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

On the bright side, the franchise can't disappoint us in the playoffs anymore...since they won't make it there for decades to come.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I was pissed off at first too ..... then I thought it out.

Look, we already have 9 players with 3 or fewer years of experience on the roster.

Green
    Christopher
    Sengun
    Garuba
    Tate
    Martin
    Porter
    Mathews
    Fernando
    and had to cut Brooks

They have two picks in the coming draft. Theirs and Brooklyn's.

They'll have to make room for those players on the roster - Or convince them to stay in some other league.

Adding another pick "This Year" just complicates that situation.

They had to cut a young guy that they didn't want to let go of in Brooks to make the Theis trade.

The picks they were offered for EG were 20-30 .... and they can get those picks in the offseason or maybe even a better one as other teams may get involved.

At worst, Stone kicked the can down the road a year with EG (& Wood) and saved himself the problem of a 3rd late pick forcing him to make roster adjustments and in the case of Wood, it gives him more time to evaluate the situation.

Now let's just hope they shut EG down for the duration ....

jcmoon likes this.
  19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Stone, is that you?

hakeem94, BHannes2BHonest and D-rock like this.
  20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am sorry but the way we needed to think about this was:

Would we accept a first round pick to move up our draft position on our own pick?

And the answer is a resounding yes.

The difference between the top 3 in this draft and top 6 is a MAJOR.

And then we could have traded the received pick to move up a few spots from the Nets position.

This is a no brainer in asset management and a HUGE fail. Gordon's value was never going to be higher.

This screams Patrick Fertita playing with Tonka Toys in the trade deadline war room.

hakeem94, clutchdabear and D-rock like this.