1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets turned down first-round pick offers for Eric Gordon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 11, 2022.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Think that the obvious truth is we never got an offer. Nobody would pass on that. But in the end if you can't trade those picks to move up anyway. which is very difficult to do, it would have been more or less useless anyway. Those picks produce fodder for whoever owns them. So I have no problem with the outcome.

Stephen_A and No Worries like this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Personally I think we have 3 real vets.

Eric gordon = great professional who defers shot for the rookies
    John wall = tank commander who is basically sitting out the season
    Wood = pouty big man, who half ass defense/set screen.

We somehow trade Eric gordon, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving our rookies with the other two vets.

I do hope we trade Eric gordon and wood this offseason. Failure to do so, it wouldn't change much of our disgust with stone ability but it is more telling of how sht he is at his job.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

They produce fodder if your scouting department sucks and clearly this teams does not (see Christopher, Carl Landry, Parsons, etc.). With all due respect I’m not buying this argument at all. If that’s what Stone is trying to sell then he’s going to have a lot of people in his scouting department offended that’s he thinks so little of the work they put in to find solid players in this range year after year that make him look smarter than he obviously is.

D-rock, jiggyfly and DeBeards like this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This makes an argument too indirectly about how bad the Theis signing was that it cost us a low cost locker room leader in DJ when he had to be waived for that mistake to be rectified.

I mean you should never turn down first round picks because of veteran locker room presence regardless because you can always sign someone with the vet min like Morey did every year with Delfino types. That should never be an excuse especially when you are trying to rebuild. You don’t see Presti turning down trading Paul to the Suns. You do the deal and find leadership tomorrow.

I get people are trying to make sense of this and want to be optimistic about the future but maybe we all just universally agree to call out the obvious BS to save face and ask that he does much much better this summer.

5. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I am not understanding the love with the picks for next year's draft. You have kpj, and Tate that are non rookies who have to get pt next year. Then you have kmj who should get pt so that's 3
    Next you have the 4 picks from this year who should get pt. That 7
    Then you have 2 picks you already have that's 9
    You need to have some vets on your team to show the young team how to act to fill out the rest of the roster. Someone will want Gordon and wood next year too. The following year we can actually use picks in the draft.

6. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I really hope they have some sort of strategic power play to make the league think Rockets play hardball and not try to stiff them on offers. I really see no other logical reason behind this decision. Wood should have been gone too.

hakeem94 and Stephen_A like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wow,

I did not count on that level of incompetence.

DD

8. fattz

fattz Member

Euro stash & clean up the books. I thought the organization was cheap but now I am leaning towards incompetent.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Seriously, worst case scenario you trade tge late first to move up or down, for a future 1st or even, two 2nds.

Instead we get 25 games of Gordon in a tank season.

Embarrassing

10. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

We dont know the whole story, but IMO this should have been about getting Gordon to a contender and getting more minutes for the young guys, how they get there I didnt really care...

11. SamFisher

Well, they have a clear direction, they just aren't implementing it properly.

I mean, if your goal is rebuild through draft you need draft picks, even if they're not (now) in the year you want.

steddinotayto and D-rock like this.
  12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Is it "outside the box" to think they could have selected an international prospect to grab and stash for a year or so? Several in the draft that are highly thought of, but still young.

Think... Luis Scola, Toni Kukoc, Mehmet Okur, Boris Diaw, Serge Ibaka.
    (All Champions)

There's numerous upperclassmen that will be available that are going to have long NBA careers. May never be superstars but definitely players. Smart, team first not me first, glue guys.

Think... Carl Landry, Tayshaun Prince, Jason Kapono, Udonis Haslam or
    MARIO ELIE to name a few.

Many that would be better than a few that graced the Rox roster this year. It's not like they are going to Tank Tankmode.

Or are they. SMH

hakeem94, D-rock and Nook like this.
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I miss Morey so much :(

14. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

We’re assuming we had offers but we don’t know for sure. Should we have taken low ball offers?

We are already paying for the Russell Westbrook mistake and have to eat John Wall’s salary. So maybe it’s not all about the late first round pick it’s also about the players coming back… IDK I wish we had more information.

Stephen_A likes this.
  15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The only argument would be if all those deals came with a contract longer than Gordon’s that they didn’t want. Now that I get.

To say we don’t want a 1st rounder we already have too many young guys is asinine. You can always trade that pick to move up or into next years draft.

16. SamFisher

This is the only thing that makes sense, it was an albatross deal for extra years at Gordon's salary (Robinson?)

HP3 and No Worries like this.
  17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Every year there are quality players drafted in the bottom third of the first round.

2017: Jarrett Allen, OG Anunoby, Kyle Kuzma, Derrick White
    2018: Grayson Allen, Aaron Holiday, Robert Williams, Landry Shamet
    2019: Matisse Thybulle, Brandon Clarke, Jordan Poole, Keldon Johnson, Kever Porter Jr
    2020: Tyrese Maxey, Immanuel Quickley, Desmond Bane
    2021: Josh Christopher, Cam Thomas

Even if the FRP was Phoenix, you STILL should accept that for Gordon.

18. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

I do not have enough information to make a categorical judgment on this matter. But... if the information is true, I'm assuming the Rockets front office tried to play the chicken game and lost. Otherwise, there's no explanation for Gordon staying with the team if the offer included a first-round pick. More considering the success of the last draft in exchanging selections to get Sengün.

19. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Precisely, Morey is not the best example to talk about issues related to draft selections.

hakeem94 and fattz like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is a typical "getting greedy at the last minute" situation.

Or Stone has another trade lined up and the other team demanded a higher pick in the teens or late lottery.

Regardless Stone is a grand waste of time.

DeBeards and dobro1229 like this.