1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Turn Attention To Payton, Sprewell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Luckyazn, Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

link

Houston Chronicle - Having missed out on Damon Stoudamire, the Houston Chronicle reports that the Rockets have been forced to alter their search for a veteran guard for their backcourt.

With Stoudamire having made $12.5 million with the Trail Blazers last season and the Rockets able to offer their salary-cap exemption of only $1.8 million, the teams reportedly were discussing a sign-and-trade deal.

Rockets forwards Clarence Weatherspoon, owed $6.53 million over the final year of his contract, and Juwan Howard, due $26 million over four years, reportedly were dangled as trade bait, but the two clubs failed to reach an agreement, paving the way for Stoudamire to sign with Memphis.

Miami and Cleveland also reportedly were interested. With Stoudamire off the market, the Rockets will alter their search.

Latrell Sprewell, Michael Finley and Gary Payton have been discussed as options.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Spree - NO!
    Finley - YES
    Payton - NNNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Rocket River
    that is all

3. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Is stoudamire out of the market???? Didn't he say he never talked to Memphis. He has not accepted the offer or agreed upon. Dam Can someone tell me what did we offer portland, to get DS?

4. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

what's wrong with payton? he can certainly guard Terry and all those other guards that gave us trouble better than sura, and he gives another player who can create his own shot but knows to play the team game

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Anyone else find it funny that Real Gm's source on this info is the Chronicle? I don't remember reading/seeing this from the Chronicle at all..

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah. I haven't seen anything in the chronicle about this either. Sounds bogus.

7. thiagu88

thiagu88 Contributing Member

Im alrite with finley. But Payton and spree definetly no. Isnt there someone else?

8. aaaccchhhooo

aaaccchhhooo Member

Damon REALLY REALLY wants to go to houston..BUT the trailblazers would not allow it ..they don't wanna sign-n-trade deal with houston

9. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I agr!. Finley might not be a great defender, but he can still light it up from beyond the Arch. that free up yao and Stromile. Spree? washedup. Payton gets abused by most guards of the dribble it's sad.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

chronicle reported this like a week ago and damon has since come out and said he's agreed to nothing with memphis. he still very much wants to be a rocket. this is very old news.

11. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

If Finleywas as in good shaape as Sprewell I would be all for it. But at the same time if VG harnessed Sprewell talent and he did not disrupt our flow that damn!!Mac and Sprewell running side by side would be sweet and TOUGH at the same time!

I do not want a cancer... that is my biggest fear of GP. Healthy I want his skills, toghness, and MUCHO experiencee!!!

Just be careful... we do not needa manny ramirez!!!!!

Finley seem best ffit....

Wish Spanoulis would have been given the chance!...

C-Ya fellow rocket freaks!!!

12. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

the chronicle link is at the bottom of the article and it says exactly that.

13. Bono

Bono Contributing Member

It's the same article that DS has come out and said was untrue.

14. RocketsMVP

RocketsMVP Contributing Member

I definitely think that Finley would be a nice addition for the right price, and I would also have to pass on both GP, and Spree; however, I'm not too sure if JVG would pass on Spree since he loves to get his former Knicks player. After all, JVG needs to help Spree feed his family. ;)

15. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

We also have to remember if 14 million didn't feed his family how is 1.8 million going to do it.There is one thing I have wonder does he have Shawn Kemp's family if you can't keep them fed for 14 million.

16. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I really do not want Sprewell and Payton.
    Sprewell was terrible last year, and i think he will not be good for the team spirit.
    i also do not want payton, he is als to old and slow, and IMO not good for the team spirit.
    I would like to have Finley. He is a good shooter, and i think he is a good team player(like the way he accepted a smaller role in the offense when dirk evolved into a great player, he does not have an ego problem unlike the other two).

However maybe we can still get Stoudamire. Altough i like finley better.

17. kh0001

kh0001 Contributing Member

Did JVG's NY Knicks player do any good to Rockets? Nope!!!!!
    CD should have stopped JVG from doing it again and again. Spree is done. On the other hand, could it be possible that Finley will be motivated to beat Mavs after getting cut by Cuban?

KH

18. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I would LOVE for the Rockets to get Payton, I'm not sold on Sprewell right now though, mainly his attitude.

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Old info and same as the Chronicle thread here... http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=99808

I don't think RealGM needs to ever be quoted as a source unless it is their information exclusively. In this case, it's the Chronicle's story that they are regurgitating, which is fine, but they're doing it after some other information has disputed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.