1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade V-Span to Spurs, acquire Luis Scola

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrieflySpeaking, Jul 12, 2007.

1. WNBA

WNBA Member

Since JVG is gone, I suggest we love him for the sake of energy saving.

Scola has not signed yet. lets worry about that.

2. pacman

pacman Member

3. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

i agree completely pac. well said.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Your argument no merits, hence your status as an idiot.

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Pacman, I sincerely believe you need to get off your father's computer.

6. akuma

akuma Member

Scola or Butler? if they can get this contract thing all squared up, then hopefully we can see what Scola can do for the last game or two of summer league.

7. wallstwizzard

wallstwizzard Member

I agree with some of the statements you made, and disagree with some as well. First, I don't think that JVG is a bad coach. I think he is a good coach, but I wouldnt consider him a great coach. I have always felt that a JVG coached team is going to be a very good defensive team, but defense doesnt win every game. A team must be able to score as well. When you look at JVG's teams, they are predictable, they are going to win games, but will they win a championship......They never have, and I don't believe they will. In my opinion, JVG is a better Buddy Ryan....

As for the quote, I think the opposite is true. Very few great players have been great coaches. Magic Johnson didnt do that well as a coach, nor did/has Isiah Thomas. The only one I can think of who was a great player and did very well was Larry Bird. Honestly, the more I have studied him, his basketball knowledge is freakish, and with his work ethic and resume, I could see why he did well. Bird emphasized defense like JVG, but he understood why Indiana lost games and was able to make the adjustments they needed to make. He also emphasized conditioning and team basketball. Anyway, most great players have a difficult time coaching simply because they were more doers than tellers. Also, work ethic is big, and sometimes those players have troubles with players who have little or no work ethic.

8. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I think the non-all star players make the best coaches. What do Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Avery Johnson, Rick Adelman, K.C. Jones, etc. have in common? Good players, but not great. Know when to defer to the stars. Can relate to the non-all stars with a "yeah, been there too" approach. Knew when playing that they had to subjugate their ego/role to make way for the all stars, and have probably transferred this to their coaching philosophy.

The star players sometimes expect everyone to be at their level- because this is not going to happen, they set unrealistic expectations and just can't handle a player's shortcomings the way a non-all star, former player can.

Or I could be totally wrong?

9. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

You would think. I have been scrolling through looking for Scola talk. Turned into another Jerry Springer episode. Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

10. syin1

syin1 Member

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

12. syin1

syin1 Member

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Cause Snyder shouts back. Snyder's trips to JVG's doghouse were from having shouting matches with JVG.

14. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

You must be insane to suggest somehow JVG discriminate against Yao.

He shouted at Yao only because he knows his player! He knew Yao will respond positively when he shouted at him, whereas TMac has a different psyche.

15. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Boo freakin hoo. Pops will yell at anyone from Jackie Butler to Tim Duncan. He doesn't care about psyches. He only cares about getting the most out of his players. JVG did play mind games.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Funny... people were calling JVG mean and "inhumane" because he didn't look happy.

Now he gets blamed for NOT yelling?

17. syin1

syin1 Member

You gotta be kidding me by thinking he knows his players. V-span is a far better point guard than Rafer, why didn't he play him more? He probably knows the different psyches between Yao and T-mac, but exploiting that just shows unfair treatment. Are you suggesting that T-mac would never respond positively facing criticism? JVG is a well known manipulator and very good at politicking. He treated Yao and T-mac differently because of their cultural background. He publicly critisize Yao's game but not T-mac's during media session (when you losed game, you know it's ligitimate to badmouth anybody to be the scapegoat). One thing I was always wondering: there was nothing wrong with T-mac's game for the loss?

18. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

I don't care if a coach yells or not. I do care when a coach does not treat his players the same. I am glad JVG and his mind games are gone.

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Van Gundier, pacman and the rest -- please take the Van Gundy argument to another thread.

20. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Van Gundy ruled

Now that thats settled, lets get back to the topic at hand