1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Rafer for Kyle Lowry and Brian Cook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ahess99, Feb 19, 2009.

1. hustlala

hustlala New Member

I don't like ralf, but it's real a bad deal.

2. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

I disagree.. I think this could work well for the Rox.

Just saw some clips on Kyle Lowry on youtube.

Call me crazy, but he's got shades of this guy

[​IMG]

I'm pumped.
    :D :D :D
    theSAGE

3. jfidd11

jfidd11 Member

ron artest looked like kobe against us all last year and look how inconsistant he is

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Don't worry, Artest is about to begin to play well if his past few games are any indication.

He's about to realize he has around 20 games to prove he's worth the money he wants...and there is no Tmac to defer to or anything. Artest bout to blossom watch.

5. rz5zt6

rz5zt6 Member

Is this mean Morey want to sign Mike Bibby or Andrew Miller next season???

:mad:

6. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Ok Daryl Morey said that Kyle is upgrade for the team and he brings toughness to the team, well if u really think that why would you go for braon davis :confused: that prove that you are nothing but asswhole, and how a guy who is 22 years old only played 20 or 25 games this season and averaging only 7.6 PT and 3.5 Assist would be upgrade for a guy who has been running the offense for the past 5 years and averaging 12.5 and 5.6 Assist.. Dude get real
    you had no idea how stupid you are...and plz stop lying to yourself and to the fans...
    :( :(

7. htownwreckagee

rafer?! random. i dont mind it at all though.
    brooks/lowry doesn't sound that bad to me. might as well let them develop for next year. lets stay optimistic ppl. go rockets.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Man, stats are not the be-all and end all to players...

Do you like Shane Battier? You think he's a good player?

Some players just don't have their strentghs visible in a box-score. I think Lowry is one of these players and Memphis is just going to continue to give us their best players so we should let them.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Baron Davis is owed about 65 million over the length of his contract, he's injury-prone, and he has a long history of feuding with his coaches. That's why, despite him being very talented, you don't go with him.

As for the stats you've cited comparing Lowry to Alston, you need to take into account the difference in minutes played. That's relevant, because Lowry isn't going to be replacing all of Alston's minutes -- Brooks will likely be the starter. On a per-minute basis, Lowry really isn't statistically worse than Alston. While Alston is a better 3-point shooter, Lowry makes up for it by being a better finisher and drawing more fouls.

10. xiaohai

xiaohai Member

阿尔斯通 再见
    Alstom,goodbye

11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Nah Kyle lowry is not that good. Funny how local fans immediately inflate player's skills/talents as soon as they join the team. Rafer > Lowry for this rockets team (a team with Yao). hands down. the only things lowry got going for him over rafer is his age, contract, and size. But Lowry is not a starting PG in this league at this stage of his career. Let's not even talk about brian cook. lol

no matter how you spin it, we lost this trade. Let's just hope this gives us financial flexibility in the future; what this trade was truly intended to do anyways.

12. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

im not sold on lowry either. the guy just isnt that good.

13. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

*rockets fan faints*

I thought we were getting Captain Jack for Tracy. :( (looks like I'm never gonna get my member status back)

I thought Skip fit our team outside of the horrendous shooting.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Actually people are spinning this making Rafer seem like he was some untradeable all-star.

Truth is...everyone talks about how Rafer's 3point FG% is better than Lowry's...ignoring that Lowry shoots a better overall FG% and has a better TS% than Alston.

Not only that, Lowry is top in league when it comes to driving in the paint and drawing fouls. NOT ONLY that, Lowry is a good defender for a 22 yr old PG and can only get better when it comes to defense.

We will NOT miss Rafer's 3pt shooting, but everyone is quick to say Lowry is not a better 3 point shooter...so what? Lowry is a good player and is a improvement for THIS YEAR's team. Rafer wasn't going to get this team to a WCF, so isn't Lowry this season...But Rafer running point has been a problem for this team. Brooks has been closing quarters, and Brooks has looked pretty good starting for this team.

But everyone is hyping Rafer up saying things like the reason we were eliminated because of his absence in the playoffs? Seriously?

This trade wasn't about finances, it was about upgrading the PG position. All season long people have wanted Brooks to start...well it's happening and we are going to get a solid starting PG from this deal whether it's Lowry or Brooks.

Lowry ain't no scrub, people are going to see that when he steps on the court and forget about Alston and his 1/10 shooting nights...and his 30% FG shooting WEEKS. and how Alston played good for about a week and half every month.

15. Upforever

Upforever Member

Tomorrow never dies!

16. OpportunityCost

Losing Tmac was not a bad thing...two of our best wins this season IMHO came with McGrady out of the line-up against San Antonio and Boston.

Alston was painfully inconsistent(dang tear drops clanging off the rim)

Also we haven't lost Ron yet. Let the season play out. Man, you guys need to lay off of all of the doom and gloom statements. This season is not over, and I am looking forward to seeing the ball movement that happens in Tracy's absence.

17. NateNate

NateNate Member

will he play tomorrow?

18. zpai

zpai Member

Well, we've got 2 6' guard now, and only this 2, how pathetic!
    Mean Ale and poor Yao!
    Bsides congratulations on Rafer :(

19. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Man trades really bring out Rookie posters, I haven't seen that many people with under 10 posts in one thread in a long time.

Some people really are whinning, come on lets see how this plays out. Have some faith in our front office, when we drafted Brooks and Landry people also complained, and look how that turned out.

Most people wanted Rafer gone, and brooks to have more minutes, this trade does both.

And for the people complaining about not trading head, you do understand you actually have to find people who are willing to take the player, right. If nobody was willing to give us a better player or a draft pick for Head then you cannot trade him :rolleyes:

20. crabwalk

crabwalk New Member

Initially, I was quite confused as how this trade could benefit the Rockets in any way shape or form. Like other people have pointed out Rafer has been running the offense pretty well lately and Lowry is just a kid who couldn't start on one of the worst teams in the NBA.

So I compared the two guys PER on espn.com and was pleasantly surprised to see that Lowry has a significantly higher PER than both Brooks and Rafer. Lowry's PER is 14.41 compared to 12.99 for Brooks and 12.89 for Rafer. Of course there is a lot of disagreement over whether PER is really a good tool to judge a player's efficiency and value (as Battier has like a 9). On Bill Simmons show the other day John Holinger was on and they both discussed that the major weakness in PER is that it doesn't measure defense very well (the Shane Battier "intangibles"). And what does Morey say is the big upgrade of Lowry over Alston?

“He’s a really good defender; good rebounder on both ends; can attack the hoop in the halfcourt or in transition, gets to the line — one of the top 10 guys in the league getting to the line; kicks it out to shooters; knows his role, someone who will know he needs to get the ball to Yao (Ming); someone who is really going to do what coach (Rick) Adelman will ask him to do."

Notice in describing his game the first thing Morey says is "He's a really good defender". Could thid be his biggest strength over Alston? If statistically he is a more efficient offensive player than Alston and better on the defensive end (which isn't too hard to do) I think maybe Morey made another great under the radar trade that could pay dividends over the coming years. This is my first post, be nice.