1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets trade Rafer for Kyle Lowry and Brian Cook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ahess99, Feb 19, 2009.

1. ThaShark316_28

Im a say this...after thinking about this for a while....it could have been ALOT worse.

2. daplaya0226

daplaya0226 Member

I love this trade! I was never a fan of Rafer. I love Aaron Brooks though! I can't wait for him to start again. Rafer was decent, but as a point guard, i didn't think he was that great.

3. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Can be somewhat of an overrated quality- "running the team." Look at all the championship teams and who their point guards were- some great, some OK, some not that great- but not all were great at being the orchestrators of the offense:

Celtics- Rajon Rondo
    Spurs- Tony Parker
    Lakers- Derek Fisher
    Spurs- Avery Johnson
    Pistons- Chauncey Billups
    Heat- Jason Williams
    Bulls- Ron Harper
    Rockets- Kenny Smith
    Pistons- Isiah Thomas
    Celtics- Dennis Johnson/Danny Ainge
    Lakers- Magic

So, you've got guys that can run a team but can't shoot (Avery, Williams), guys that didn't run the team that well but were good scorers (Parker, Fisher- well, at least in their 2nd championship), guys that weren't great at running the team nor scoring but were excellent defenders (Harper), and all-time greats (Magic, Isiah).

It helps to have a good point guard, but he doesn't have to be great. He should either be a good scorer on a solid team, a good "run the show" guy on a younger or less structured team, or Chris Paul, if you're lucky enough.

Rafer Alston is good for the Magic. Given our team's veterans, I see Lowry as a good fit and I think Brooks can handle being the PG at this point.

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hmm... now I am hearing Charlie P and a caller talking about how the Rockets will be able to run more with Lowry/Brooks and Wafer. Perhaps, but are the Rockets going to redesign the offense and implement it mid-season? :confused:

6. firetoucher

firetoucher New Member

worst trade of year I promise you.

7. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I almost can't believe that we're being forced to take on all the players in this deal; that means we're cutting BOTH Luther and Joey Dorsey to make room for Foyle and Wilks; which makes absolutely no sense.

You would think that Memphis would take back some players in the deal; they have an open roster spot, cap room, and some min salary players that can be waived.

Love the deal, but don't understand the logic thus far.

8. redeeming

redeeming Contributing Member

the rockets are now a drama queen...

9. jasona88

jasona88 Member

time for the rockets to resign STEVE FRANCIS!!! without rafer in the way he can get some PT!! w000t !!

:D

lol sorry just had to let that out there. flame away!

10. AXG

AXG Member

I'm surprised Luther Head wasn't traded. I wonder if they'll cut him or let him play?

11. ThaShark316_28

Im warming up to this deal....

Fast breaks won't be f'd up as much as it used to be...loved what Skip brought to the table, but dude almost always screwed the break up.

Brooks is gonna give other PGs headaches...yes, he might struggle on the defensive end...but those are the breaks, folks.

I'm also lookin forward to those games...especially those playoff series where we go small as hell and frustrate teams and their D with blinding speed...might be short, but speed kills.

12. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

Lowry also plays a significant amount of minutes less than rafer

Think optimistically! lol

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Well if you remove Lowry's 3pt shots, his overall FG% is outstanding. Also this is an upgrade defensively. We have the potential to play alot more effeceintly now, lets wait to see how it plays out.

14. KenZer

KenZer Member

Guess something else would happen out there? Goodbye Rafer.

15. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I guess the Rockets decided the season is over, it's rebuilding time.

Well, at least Head is going to have an old friend to talk to on the bench ;)

16. SXT

SXT Member

Yeah, I read in another thread that he shot 44% from just inside the 3 point line last year. I'm slightly warming up to the trade too...I just worry about the size of our point guards now.

17. Bean Baller

Bean Baller Member

i said your momma is good :D

18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Rajon Rondo isn't that good either.

19. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

For the billionth time, no! The deadline passed three and a half hours ago.

20. errpac

errpac Member

bad bad bad. rafer has always had heart playing in houston, though he hasnt come through all the time, he has played with passion and has done well. Low turnover ratio. Y we getting ride of him, yea I wouldn't mind a better PG but the trade offer is not giving anything in return..