1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Rafer for Kyle Lowry and Brian Cook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ahess99, Feb 19, 2009.

1. mrdan

mrdan Contributing Member

You really don't understand how this whole 'deadline' thing works, do you?

2. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Sure its in here somewhere, but:

Orlando Sentinel

3. Rocketrock

Rocketrock Member

As much as I hate Alston's shooting, we're not geting anything better in return.

Good bye Season 2009

4. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Why do people still believe a bigger trade is probably being discussed, the deadline has passed !! We got F -ed

5. dave18

dave18 Member

I don't get it. I REALLY DON'T!

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Correct. It is Lowry for Alston, pure and simple. Cook is a garbage thrown in who will never get off the bench giving our deep group of bigs. Alston all things considered is more valuable to the team right now, but Lowry is 10 years younger. And even by next year (Alston's number are declining and Lowry has really only barely played a season and half), Lowry could be the better player.

This is a move for 2010 and later--and that makes since given the Tmac situation. And who knows, there is always a chance the more PT to Brooks and Lowry (and maybe Barry some spot PG minutes) makes us better than we were with Alston playing the majority of PG minutes. I'd say maybe a 30% of that, but nor are we completely throwing in the towel this year (we could have traded Alston for Cook, filler and Orlando's pick). We decided getting Lowry now and for the future was better than an Orlando 1st round pick--all angles considered I get it.

7. Bassem

Bassem Member

wtf??? Why would you trade Rafer? He knew Adelman's offense well, he played great D, and he was one of the key pieces to our historic win streak last season. I see Lowry as a great back up point gaurd, but right now I don't feel he will be a better choic right now as a our starting gaurd, and I see Brooks as a better back up than him. I gues this is good for our future, but as of right now I think it hurts, and the only reason I feel Morey might of done this because of T-Mac's being out the rest of the season, and diminished hopes of bringing home a championship due so.

8. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

****, if those guys both go to Houston, that sends the Rockets into LT land. That can't be right. Some of these guys must be going to Memphis.

9. jondoe

jondoe Member

To think Rafer brought that much to the table is laughable. When does he break down the defense? How often does he get to the FT line? People are giving Skip way too much credit for the teams success.

10. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

what hell is Daryl morey, is he out of his mind, why would trade your point guard in critical time like this, ohh t-mac is out and now we don't have a ponit guard, OMG this freakin unbelievable, I just can't believe this, maybe the worst trade in the nba in 2009, and obviously great trade for MAGIC.

11. Rocket Ag

Rocket Ag New Member

Will Brooks/Barry/Head run the point tomorrow? The game tomorrow is my first game of the season and this combination makes me a little nervous. Thoughts?

12. mooseatwork

mooseatwork Member

well I guess it's obvious that the magic got the best out of the deal, Im not to thrilled about losing rafer (a guy who plays alot better w/o T-mac) and overall is a very good floor general, but lowery does have alot of upside, unfortunatly i think we now have 2 PG's that are a defensive liability which doesn't help our struggling def. But Brooks has played well as a starter (how quick we forget)

Even though they may not get PT, I do like us getting Foyle (a big body banger) which is something we are sorely missing. And it will be intresting to see if adelman ever uses cook as a counter to all the fronting and double teams that yao gets. Cook plays PF and has a decent % from 3 he could really help the spacing when teams are locked in on Yao.

We still can get out of the first round.

13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Jamal Mashburn just said how "Rafer will bring his 3-pt shot" to the Magic and "his shooting" that will make them better.

14. eggm0nster

eggm0nster Member

wow. i am so glad that this happened. rafer was becoming a team chemistry killer calling people out. he is not even a leader. all that talk about shooting 800 shots in practice and stuff...it never showed. he could never hit an open shot when we needed it. brooks deserves this spot. he has been blowing by peopple all the time and can hit the 3. lowry can share minutes here! great stuff. b cook can add some height and 3 pt shot. kinda of like a tim thomas and dirk and stuff. just not as agile but can hit that open shot. i like this move. morey is great. next move.....2010 trade tmac...then sign d wade. ron artest will resign and the line up will be yao, scola, artest, wade and brooks/lowry. landy, wafer, cook off the bench. gg everyone.

15. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I like Foyle as a backup Center, but I will be surprised if he doesnt get cut along with Wilks.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol Mashburn the guy that said we would miss Tmac's Clutch shooting....XD

17. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Mashburn is a ugly idiot, What kind of 3 point shot will he bring. He will be bringing the attempts for 3 point shots to the Magic. Doesnt mean he will hit them.

What you think of bringing tinsley or Marbury to houston

18. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Morey, You made a MISTAKE

19. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

Just so I'm clear - you think Rafer for Lower and Cook is a good trade FOR THIS SEASON. Are you willing to say that?

20. Egghead

Egghead Member

..not sure if its been posted
    -via hoopsworld
    Rockets Set Sights On The Future

By: Bill Ingram Last Updated: 2/19/09 3:39 PM ET | 447 times read

The Orlando Magic, Houston Rockets, and Memphis Grizzlies hooked up on a buzzer-beating three-way trade this afternoon, but it didn't involve Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, or Ron Artest. Instead, they sent Rafer Alston to the Orlando Magic (thank you very much) for Brian Cook, with Houston also receiving Kyle Lowry from the Memphis Grizzlies, who got cap space in the form of a draft pick and possibly a minor player out of the deal.

Yes, we're all scratching our heads over this one. Of everything that was talked about with regard to the Rockets, what they wind up with is Brian Cook, who hasn't played all season, and Kyle Lowry, who's future in the NBA is in jeopardy.

Cook has been unable to find the court in Orlando because he isn't in good enough condition for Stan Van Gundy to justify playing him. He's appeared in 21 games, all garbage time, averaging just 7.0 minutes per contest. It's clear that all Houston was really interested in was Cook's ending contract for 2010. He has a player option for next season, which you can bet he'll use.

Kyle Lowry was highly coveted over the summer because many teams felt he could be a starter in the NBA. He had plenty of opportunities to show he could start in Memphis, but never quite got it done. He's a solid back-up, averaging 6.5 points and 2.8 assists in a reserve role this season, and he, too, can become a free agent in 2010.

The primary objective for Houston seems to be to clear cap space in 2010. Tracy McGrady's contract will come off the books, as will the contracts of Luis Scola, Brent Barry, and Carl Landry (potentially). Justin Reed, Von Wafer, Ron Artest and Dikembe Mutombo are all on ending contracts this season.

The secondary objective is the one that will matter most the Rockets look towards the playoffs.

Aaron Brooks, you've just won the lottery. You have a rare opportunity to stake your claim on destiny. By trading away Rafer Alston and acquiring a reserve points in return, the organization has placed this seasons' fate in your hands.

Brooks has put together a solid season, so solid that the team is putting him in a position that most reserve players would kill for. When the ball goes up on Friday night's game between the Dallas Mavericks and the Rockets it will be Brooks running the show.

All is not lost, Rockets fans. The team has finally found the consistency they've lacked, now that McGrady is likely out for the season and the rest of the rotation is healthy. Von Wafer has been playing well for Adelman, and Shane Battier and Ron Artest are a solid supporting cast for Yao Ming. The Rockets are still a playoff team - probably no better and now worse than they were with Alston and McGrady. But now they're in a better position for 2010.

It would be amusing if the Rockets got out of the first round without McGrady . .