1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Rafer for Kyle Lowry and Brian Cook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ahess99, Feb 19, 2009.

1. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I love AB, but he and Lowry are 6'0 and pretty darn green. Neither have demonstrated any ability to make a consistently good post-entry pass, and Barry is non-existant defensively at the point.

No one can convince me we haven't written off this season. Oh, but I forgot Morey knows that, if by some miracle, we get out of the 1st round this season will be perceived as a success.

This is a step backward and geared for the future.

2. UrlPerlMonroe

UrlPerlMonroe Rookie

Aaron Brooks had not shown any consistency in running the point. This trade is just mind boggling. I would predict they are going to trade Yao next season for a running center. The owner wanted a run and gun team and somehow Yao does not fit into this system.

3. acjeitherocket

dont think i like this trade...........

4. dassig

dassig Member

what? crazy talk

5. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

What are your thoughts on the Houston deal sending Rafer Alston to Orlando for point guard Kyle Lowry and forward Brian Cook?
    68.3% Bad move for the Rockets
    31.7% Good move for the Rockets

As the individual trade stands, I agree with the majority!

The only way this makes sense is if we submitted another trade for a bigger, better point guard.

And all of those commenting on Alston's three point % and comparing it to Lowry's,... with the percentages being so close... wouldn't you agree that Alston has proved that when the three is needed, his percentage goes way up. So, his 3-point percentage perhaps isn't as justifiable.

6. N2H4

N2H4 Member

I don't like this trade.

Rafer has been great ever since Tmac quit his on-and-off drama and stayed on the bench. Although still shooting like crap, Rafer ran the team's offense very well and the chemistry was finally created...If we really need to trade him, trade him for someone better! Who are we gonna start now? Lowry or Brooks? Both of them are too young and too small (both 6').

Maybe the management is gambling on either Lowry or Brooks becomes a superstar PG. but to me, the odd does not look so good.

Brian Cook? yeah, an ok tall 3pts shooter, what else can he do?

Somebody gotta help me understand this trade.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't know why everyone seems disappointed. I mean some of you didn't want Baron Because it would mean we would be selling our future...even though he'd give us a pretty good shot to win now.

Now it's clear...we build toward the future. Also...Iverson will be a FA next year, maybe we get him who knows what the hell we are planning.

8. HalataHoops

HalataHoops Member

I dont get it.

9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

There are alot of long time rafer haters that have yet to make any posts clearly stating whether or not they like this trade.

I'm sure, if Lowry works out well, we'll see the 'I told you Rafer sucked!' thread. And, if he doesn't, we'll see the 'I hated Rafer but this was a bad trade!' thread.

I like this trade for multiple reasons but I'm not expecting Lowry to improve this team in the near future.

10. vase-rockets

vase-rockets Member

I think this is bad bad bad move. We don;t have alston anymore. and he played well this season. Im not sure that with these guys we can make something this year. and dont forget that tmac is out and i hope artest and Battie will be fine. I'm not happy with this. We think to much for the FUTURE.

11. jondoe

jondoe Member

Problem with memphis is they cant decide between Conley and Lowry. This guy can finish.

12. The Veeg

The Veeg Contributing Member

Exactly. It's all in the numbers. Morey is as smart as it comes and he has pages and pages of stats that show the potential of Lowry. I can assure you that when I saw him rip through the Rocket's defense last year, it made me think about how we could get our hands on him. He has a LOT of potential and the numbers don't lie. He might be on par with Rafer... or he might be a LOT better. I trust the Moreyball.

13. mw_mw

mw_mw Member

.......omg what?!

14. Dei

Dei Member

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. jondoe

jondoe Member

He definately has more upside that Rafer. Give him Rafers minutes and i bet he does just as well. Our Fast break will be killer now. Wafer, Lowry, Sola....this is gonna be good.

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

At first I looked at the above data and was thinking the same thing, what were we thinking. But then you have to remember Morey isn't a Moran.

Here are some other data.
    PER: Lowry 14.4, Brooks 12.98, Alston 12.88
    PPS: Lowry 1.36, Brooks 1.14, Alston 1.06
    TS% Lowry .54, Brooks .52, Alston .486.

This suggests that though Lowry doesn't shoot the 3 ball even at mediocre Alston level, there are other things, offensively included, he does better.

Basically this trade is the 22 year old Lowry for the 32 year old Alston.

(Forget the slug Cook. There is no way you would give up back-up minutes that could go to Landry, Hayes or Deke--much better overall players--to Cook. Cook was merely trade filler and might get waived)

I think we will miss Alston's leadership and steadiness, particularly with Tmac out. But we get a player a decade younger and by splitting the PG minutes with Brooks and Lowry, we may not get a big drop from Alston and Brooks.

Alston really isn't a starting PG either. At least not one who isn't in the bottom quarter quality of starting NBA PGs.

17. Throwed247

Throwed247 Member

ALSTON played well? What are you smoking? I wish him the best, but I'm glad he's gone.

18. HoustonFan4Life

Once Lowry starts playing and making regular lay ups instead of throwing up ridiculous rim breaking tear drops people will appreciate this trade.

19. ABZERO

ABZERO Member

I am gonna miss Rafer...wish him the best! However, I am looking forward to seeing Aaron VS Rafer in the future. I would like to see how Rafer is gonna defend "the Blur".

20. jondoe

jondoe Member

Werd. Rafer is shooting 35 percent for a reason.