1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade D-Mo, Thornton to Pistons for first round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 18, 2016.

?

Do you like this trade for the Rockets?

1. YES

185 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. NO

485 vote(s)
    72.4%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tell that to Rudy T or CD - oh wait, they were before your time Junior, but pSSSST...they won 2 championships.

DD

2. dmoneybangbang

LOL. I wish prime Hakeem was walking through that door.... Do you have a point or do you think Rudy T and CD were the primary reasons we won?

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In hindsight you said that but by the time we got those players.

Everyone in the organization was all about championships, not 1 not 2... you get it.

Dirk wasn't guaranteed a championship and his deficiency on Defense was crystal clear

they played well, caught the Heat off guard in their first year and capitalized on that (Heat with no real tough big guy)

It's about how you see it.

I don't think either Dirk or KG is on par with Duncan.

KG and Dirk all were lucky to at least win one championship with their time running out.

They were all exceptional players but neither of them were dominating past their 30s.

Duncan just aged very well and fundamentals do work wonders.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Bottom line is if Dmo was worth the money, we would have kept him.

He is a dime a dozen power forward.

5. dmoneybangbang

Ok? Not sure if this still about Cuban or not? But Dirk played with some good rosters and bad ones. Cuban has his pros and cons , just like Morey.

6. malakas

malakas Member

lol no it can't. They waived his physical. :rolleyes:

And risk? Sure every decision has risk.

Let's see Moreys risk : let go of the best pf on the roster who is also young and you have control over his future by having his bird rights, for a low first round pick in a weak draft, and be left without a starter quality pf.
    Oh and risk : go at a time when everyone is drowning with $ to throw around, with a crap roster to sit in the table and talk to Durant without a coach, without a good pg and pf and with your C asking for 30 per and probably leaving for nothing..But I'm sure Durant will appreciate playing with a rookie from the Detroit pick...if he even makes it to the roster and doesn't go straight to D-league for months.

Nice risks. We could be without a good pg, c and an old worn out sf. But now we will also be left without a starting caliber pf.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is now.

I am no Dmo fan but I can admit it he had more talent than average PFs.

He had exceptional potential but that said neither his buddy Jonas or Donuts ever lived up to their true potential

8. dmoneybangbang

If he would have stayed healthy I have no doubt we'd be offering him the max.

No he isn't. Detroit is just in different situation to where they can take that sort of risk.

9. malakas

malakas Member

since he is a dime a dozen tell me 30 other pfs who aren't all stars and are on rookie contracts who are as good as DMO.
    A dime a dozen certainly means almost every team has one lying around right?

10. dmoneybangbang

Maybe I am misunderstanding this from 2/20 ~8PM:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...-donatas-motiejunas-uncertain-debut/80676080/
    Best PF on the Rockets isn't saying much.

So you are completely ignoring that SVG has already said he expects DMo to have occasional flare ups?

Define low? I think it more than likely will be a mid since Detroit traded a decent guard without getting a new one back. Time will tell.

Crap roster? Don't be so melodramatic, we are average. We still have Harden and there's still a possibility our roster progresses back to the mean.

Good thing we have the money to throw money at players who solve some of those issues.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

All I am saying Cuban is their head. They have a clear direction how to approach this.

They just did better than the Rockets in the last 15 years. That is a fact. Whether their player is Nowitzki or not isn't of paramount concern.

Of course they are going to have bad rosters because every team has to go through rebuilding. They are just getting older and older.

The earlier you do it, the earlier results come out.

We have a team of individuals on the team and in management who have their own thoughts and there is no chemistry.

Why are we surprised that the team is not consistent?

The management isn't consistent with their decisionmaking.

On the one hand they want to make the playoffs and play well, on the other hand they know they need better chemistry and talent to do so....rebuilding would be necessary.

They are not going down one path completely but are stuck at crossroads for IDK how many years.

Therefore you will see many - treading mediocrity mill threads.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He really really is.

What the hell kind of question is that. :rolleyes:

Dmo was a great prospect. Liked having on the team.

Once he got expensive, he was no longer worth it.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

How about "middle of the road?"

Every team has a first round pick lying around. And a middle of the road pick is what we got for him. Those seem to be what an average, rookie scale PF is worth.

Why don't you list all the recent rookie-scale players that were traded for draft picks, and that might help us compare further. Further, you can list all the draft day trades to see what moving up in the draft costs.

14. malakas

malakas Member

Yes you are misunderstanding. The physicals are completed the same day or at most the day later. A team trading for a player with a known issue can't wait for months and if the player is still injured say "NO DEAL!!! GIVE ME BACK MY ASSETS"
    The only instances where Green and Holiday when the team (okc and philly) have knowingly hidden specific medical issues about their players and had to give back compensation. The trade wasn't nulled. And the compensation was comparatively small. (Philly didn't even have to throw picks, just $).

Occasional flare ups? Ok..so? It's not like every player plays 82 games. If DMO is determined by doctors not to be able to play too many games it will influence his new contract.
    Oh and btw? Now that Detroit has his bird rights he won't be paid as much as you think he will. Unless he lights the league up.

I dont' know how average is a roster of Brew, Ariza, Bev, Harden Capela and McDaniels that is basically our core if/ when Dwight leaves. Looks pretty crappy to me.

Yes. Good thing instead of having the bird rights of a starting caliber pf, we will go around shopping when everyone will be throwing around millions.

I mean..why not spend 20 million in Rhyan Anderson?:rolleyes:
    You don't even know how much he will get paid.
    So tell me which young pf n your opinion is worth a good contract nowadays?

And what you plan to do with 15-18 million dollars to find a new starting caliber pf. Name players you will spend it on in FA.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How many of those middle of the road picks are going to get a salary in free agency like DMo?

Then ask yourself, if someone is willing to pay him so much, why aren't the Rockets?

DD

16. malakas

malakas Member

Crappy chucker no defence, Tim Hardaway Jr was traded for a better pick than DMO (what the pick is most likely projected to be).

Is that a good answer for you?

An average rookie scale PF is not a starting caliber pf as DMO is.

17. dmoneybangbang

It's the only reason the Mavs have been as good as they have.

Dirk is once in a generation player who spent his entire career on one team and stayed healthy. Our once in a generation players didn't spent their entire careers here (McGrady) and couldn't stay healthy (Yao and McGrady).

The story on Harden isn't finished yet, maybe he can become a 20pt 10 assist player and become great. However, Harden has only spent 4 total seasons on the Rockets. How many different rosters do you think Dirk underwent in his 17 seasons?

Well duh. The Rockets have to change with the circumstances...

How can it be consistent when we haven't had a player(s) to consistently build around? Dirk has been on the Mavs for 17 years.... You seriously can't connect the dots or understand?

Then people don't know history or what context is.

18. malakas

malakas Member

I think next year we may be able to enjoy Fat Sully in all his majesty. If we miss Durant (likely) and Horford (even more likely), Sully for the pf of the future will be in my opinion Morey's fall back plan.

19. dmoneybangbang

But why can't Thornton participate yet? DMo hasn't been cleared yet....

Back injuries are trivial to you then, that's your opinion. We've had a player who had back spasms and ate up a big part of our cap before.

He still maybe paid more than Rockets are willing to do. Detroit is a position to take more risk than the Rockets.

Your opinion is noted then.

A starting caliber PF who may not even get significant minutes this year or ever.

You know Morey doesn't value Ryan Anderson that much...

20. dmoneybangbang

Your opinion has taken quite the nose dive lately.