1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade D-Mo, Thornton to Pistons for first round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 18, 2016.

?

Do you like this trade for the Rockets?

1. YES

185 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. NO

485 vote(s)
    72.4%
  1. dmoneybangbang

That's what I thought.... Nothing of substance to add... Just emotions....

Do I need to list you man crushes over the years? Remember ole V-Span?

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I know Morey is a good guy and all and he is working hard to improve the team when the owner is not interfering.

Thing is Morey is keep digging that hole, making mistakes, making up for them, and the hole keeps on getting bigger.

Very frustrating team building, very frustrating GM, coaching.

All this star searching becomes embarrassing when half your team is still mentally weak and fundamentally lacking.

And of course not many free agents are willing to join due to no results, questionable asset management, no vision as to how to get to the championship and so on.

Questinable McHale firing very early in the season and bad timing shows how clueless the brass is

As a fan still hope they get a star or two but I am not counting on it.

But for the good of the team Morey or anyone at the top should start realizing their model is a failure and start adapting to the new NBA environment.

3. dmoneybangbang

Christ... I think isaiah canaan was probably the worst.

4. MSBRockets

MSBRockets Member

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Let me rephrase for more clarity.

You can't predict now with any real certainty whether someone will outbid you for DMo 6 months into the future.

Hell, Morey wasn't even able to predict whether someone would outbid us for Parsons 2 weeks into the future; otherwise, he exercises the freaking team option on June 30th. Likewise, the Knicks failed to consider how much Les likes the Asian market when we outbid them for Lin, by going all in with our entire $9m of cap room.

Some much for several people claiming GMs can predict the future enough to say what a players offer sheet will be, because of "back channels." I guess Cuban has his back channels locked down tight.

6. dmoneybangbang

Overpaid and put a player option on it just so Morey wouldn't match. "Overpaid" is contextual certainly, so in a vacuum overpaid and for us overpaid. I guess you can make the argument that in the context of the Mavs he wasn't overpaid given Dirk followed Duncan in taking less.

Just look at his production (he's still offensively efficient) and his defense. Yes he's been injured, but his production doesn't beat out Ariza's best year (2013-2014) at a much greater cost.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You are doing a production valuation...fine. You answered my question.

I'm saying one definition of overpaid is whether the player's cap hit prevented you from landing someone else who you also want to add to Parsons, et al. That doesn't seem to have happened to them. Thus, his salary is not hurting them.

8. dmoneybangbang

What do you define as "real certainty". As you'd be surprised how far game theory has come.

Everything is contextual.

I'm sure Morey knew something like that could happened with Parsons but just didn't put high odds in it.

As for Lin: I think the Chinese market had a factor to do with it but Morey also liked how Lin scored (inside the paint, good at PNR, and drew a lot of fouls during Linsanity). However, given that the Rockets at the time had money to spend, they bet on Lin and Asik.

Don't be silly.

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How do you determine which of the other 14 players with contracts it is that is actually the one doing the preventing? You can take almost any player in isolation and declare them the impediment, seems to me.

For instance, exactly which contract was it that had the Rox above the tax threshold? All and none. It was the amalgamation taken as a whole that was at fault. Like some Zen riddle about the sound of 1 hand clapping.

#1329 Ottomaton, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Fair enough, but we also don't know who they could have signed instead so there are quite a few rabbit holes we can go down.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You can say all you want about Cuban but that guy is just a resilient, tough little guy.

He won his title against the Heat when Dirk was already 31 yrs old.

He just keeps on coming....his only mistake is that Dirk's game is not eternal and he cannot cling onto him 4 good.

Well, you know who our owner is and it turns out Morey is the real- Yes man in this and not McHale.

McHale could even stirred some trouble with his knowledge as a GM and
    both Les and Morey grew to be tired of him.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I am sorry, gonna speak the truth whether people like it or not.

Love it when morons bring this up, please tell me what you THINK I wanted with VSpan.

DD

13. malakas

malakas Member

Arm Tellem is Detroit's President of Basketball Operation. He was the no.1 agent in the NBA one of the most powerful and well connected people and he resigned to become along with SVG the brains of the Pistons.

14. dmoneybangbang

Cuban has his pros and cons.

He has a generational talent (maybe all time great offensive PF) on his roster and managed to win one title. It's not as simple as I am making it out to be but his shortcomings in building around Dirk were a part of that.

15. dmoneybangbang

You're too emotional to evaluate.

To play him?

How Isiash Cannon? How about your insistence of AB over Brooks? Seriously... too much emotion.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yup by that logic we should have at least made the Finals twice.

Once with Yao and Mac and once with Harden and Howard. :)

17. dmoneybangbang

And he took risk, just like Morey. DMo prognosis of having occasional flare ups isn't something trivial, his injury has been compared to JJ Reddick (a guard who won't be in the post battling with big men). DMo can still not be cleared by Detroit's people and the trade can be voided.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Not to play him there was a big reason, come on fella you can do it, look it up.

Emotion is what wins games. Lack of emotion leads to Spread**** management.

DD

19. dmoneybangbang

LOL.... Come on...

Yao and McGrady were derailed by injury, Dirk has remained healthy.

Howard isn't Orlando Howard and Harden isn't a generational type player (so far) and have only been together for a bit over 2 & 1/2 seasons. How long has Dirk been with the Mavs?

Try again and actually use logic, not play "gotcha".

20. dmoneybangbang

V-Span was long ago and I don't remember the exact reason to be honest. I can admit when I am unsure.

Now back to Cannon.... And your insistence of AB over Lowry...

Maybe in a YMCA game or some pick up game.