1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Brooks to Suns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Feb 24, 2011.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I like this trade. Dragic is a player. He's a big, athletic sparkplug to bring off the bench for some instant offense and to create matchup problems. Not to mention, we get a decently positioned 1st-rounder out of it too!

Good luck to AB. It's a shame he squandered all of his success to play himself into the giant hole he created this year. Oh well, time to move on.

Major props to Morey on fleecing the Suns in a "sell low" trade. Nicely done.

2. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

It was obvious that AB was going to be moved, sucks all we could get was Dragic.
    If Brooks bounces back, Phoenix will have a good PG for their future.

Dragic...doubt this kid is going anywhere. :(

3. worzel gummidge

If Suns make the playoffs = Rockets get Suns 2011 pick

If Suns miss the playoffs = Rockets get Magic 2011 pick

4. worzel gummidge

He was Kerr's guy but Kerr's gone. Sarver also did it again, ie dumped a first round pick.

5. Rockets_4_life

I'm liking this kid Goran Dragic, height 6'4 - 6'6 wingspan, athletic, good court vision and can shoot the lights out of the ball... :)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZjjdJZgZ1jI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

The Suns will regret trading Dragic, the Rockets got better with this deal. He has struggled this season with injuries, which explains his poor stats, but the guy is a good player with a bulldog mentality. He is a good defender and, with time, will be a very good PGuard. He will push Lowry for the starting gig next season...bet on that.

The pick is VERY nice because it provides another asset to move up in this draft or the next. Overall like this move and clearly see Morey has decided to rebuild which makes me happy.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Per their man's 100 possessions, you can expect each of them to give up about 110 points. They are historically identical, in effect, as defenders. More height from Goran, more speed from Aaron. If Goran is a better help defender, that would be cool. I haven't seen enough of him yet.

Not to nit-pick, but I hate it when we over-value new players. It's not fair to them. And the hate on Brooks was ridiculous. At least it's over I guess.

I'll give Goran every chance, and I'll root for him (truly). But in the range of what a player can be, we sold low on Brooks, and that's fine. We had no choice. Goran's upside may surprise, but I think what we see is what we get.

I'm sad about Ish, and I'm confused about the exact picks we got.

8. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Dragic is almost like Lowry. Another tough bulldog...i think he's definitely an upgrade over Brooks. He is a true PG that think pass and know how to pass and make good decision, not like Brooks. He can shoot too and he has the body to play D..unlike Brooks. During last year Playoffs, i was amazed that he took over the game against the Spurs...amazing.

As for trading Battier....i dont' know about that one....i think they should keep Battier and we're better off than trading for a stiff w/ 1st rounder. I know the trade is about the 1st rounder but I think Battier is worth more than a high 1st rounder.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

SPlash!...well, I will say that this is a better deal, imho opinion, but in the end, we still suck...

10. delta69er

delta69er Member

I, like you, really loved Shane in his tenure here and I think all Rockets fans loved him; it is our love for him that may have obscured our understanding of his true value. He's an aging small forward who can't play defense as well as he used to and very limited offensively. I don't think we would have gotten anyone good for Battier and I can live with the draft pick that we got for him.

11. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I haven't seen Goran much since the one playoff series that he went off, but I'm very very optimistic about the trade.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Brooks = Dragic

Brooks < (Dragic + 1st rounder)

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Career-wise, including their current "down years":

Dragic:
    Assists-per-36-minutes 6
    Asst %: 24.1
    Turnovers-per-36 minutes 3.5
    Turnover %: 20.1
    FG%: 43
    3-pt FG%: 35.6

Brooks:
    Assists-per-36-minutes 5
    Asst %: 23.7
    Turnovers-per-36 minutes 2.6
    Turnover %: 13.2
    FG%: 41
    3-pt FG%: 36.5

What this reveals, among other things, is that I was wrong when I said Dragic was a "worse" shooter. He's worse from 3, but not by much, and he's definitely better at true shooting percentage. But the numbers also suggest that Dragic isn't some magical upgrade for our back-up to Kyle. They create assists at an indistinguishable rate, in terms of how many touches they get. goran is going to remind us of Stevie Franchise at times, with the turnovers.

14. arjun

arjun Member

bro...that explains brooks as well lol

15. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Remember this quote? Good to see that Hoopsworld's "sources" are still just as accurate as ever..

1 person likes this.
  16. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Gragic was nice for a backup PG..the reason for his turnovers are his thread the needle passes.

17. Entropy

Entropy Member

bulldog mentality describes Lowry. Chihuahua mentality describes Brooks.

18. worzel gummidge

Adelman and the Rockets just got a PG who can reliably run the pick and roll. Luis could benefit from this big time too.

19. caneks

caneks Rookie

Apparently, Suns got the better part of the deal. sad to see brooks gone. We will miss him.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

The Suns have always had an eye for AB ever since the 2007 draft, they finally got him.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OSsnG0lW2x0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>