1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Aaron Brooks for Jordan Hamilton

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Feb 20, 2014.

1. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Look AB can't replace Bev's defense. So we would still need a defensive PG if Bev cannot play the rest of the season.

Hamilton can defend perimeter guys and catch and shoot 3s. We can ask him not to try to do much with the ball.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Actually yes it does. Its not about just this game, its about the ones to come and the playoffs. We traded AB (someone we could absolutely use right now) for someone we aren't even using above Casspi or Garcia. It isn't just about the clippers.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It wasn't McHale's decision to trade Brooks.

4. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

True, I doubt it would have been. This sounds awfully familiar of a previous disconnect between the GM and the coach of this team. I can't emphasize how nice it would have been to have a player like Brooks for this stretch of games and the playoffs. He's was the most playoff tested point guard on this team. For us to trade him away for a guy we won't use is just not good communication or planning. Hamilton isn't going to be here next season anyways either.

5. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

No idea why we made this trade. Happy for AB as he's getting some minutes now, but if we're not gona use Hamilton then what's the point?

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It should have been Lin. One game does not make a season, but damn we miss AB and Bev. Let's hope we get one of those guys back soon.

7. valorita

valorita Member

You are kidding yourselves if you think that Brooks is the answer.

8. kastuul

kastuul Member

McHale didn't play Hamilton at all recently.

9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Look I know you like AB a lot. I do too. But the above part in bold is simply just wild speculation with no basis. We had 4 pg's on the team. And no viable backup wing player. Morey took a gamble on Hamilton. Initially it worked out for us. Since then, Hamilton has come back down to earth. You have to take risks. This one just did not work out.

Canaan in theory brings the same things brooks did. Excellent 3 pt shooting and speed. I loved Brooks, but let's not lose track of the real issue here. Which of course is the walking mistake that is Jeremy Lin.

10. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

That is true, but you can't expect Cannan to hold his composure in the playoffs when him holding his composure in a regular season game is a big deal for us. Also, Lin is the biggest negative...but he's such a negative (with his play +contract) that we can't even get rid of him. We did have 4 PGs, but we already had to use AB plenty with the previous injuries this year.

So we trade AB...

All fine.

But lets trade him for someone we will actually use. Trading a vital insurance PG isn't worth trading for someone that we won't play.

I'm not going to kneejerk, but my expectations are so low after Bev's injury that I'll actually be really happy if we get out of the 1st round.

11. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

you wouldn't have been happy before?? :confused:

lol, i know what you meant though. just messin.

12. MichaelG281713

Still a good trade. AB wouldn't fair any better with as much responsibility as Lin and Canaan have now.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Garcia and Casspi's performance tonight reminded me that even though Hamilton is mediocre at best, he's still an upgrade over both of them. Should have gotten lots of minutes tonight.

14. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

You know this? How? AB was the starting PG on the only Rockets team to make any sort of playoff run in the last 19 years.

1 person likes this.
  15. fattz

fattz Member

Harden & Howard told me

16. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How quickly we forget how inconsistent/horrendous on defense Brooks was....

17. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

Why didn't Hamilton play last night?

18. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I wonder this as well. Is he in the dog house?

You'd think with how thin we are he would've got some burn instead of Parsons having to play 46 minutes

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I have no idea why he didn't play. He's still better than Casspi or Garcia, and last night proved that.

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Brooks is not inconsistent on defense, he is nonexistent. Every now and then he might pop up with a steal, but otherwise he may as well not exist if his 3pt shot is flat. There was a reason a lot of us were opposed to him starting or even playing heavy minutes.