1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to sign Joe Johnson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 10, 2018.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Wright could get some garbage time minutes against the Kings on Wednesday. Assuming the Rockets take them more seriously than the Mavs.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Wright completes the Rockets ability to run their full offensive set off a PNR.

Going to be nice having 40-45 mins of potential Lobs in the near future against teams who like to pay the bounce pass in the lane.

NeNe will get his rest and be ready to beast GSW's bigs in the playoffs.

D-rock and DonKnock like this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I was just listening to this album today and noticed that it has Joe Johnson on the cover! Pretty crazy coincidence.

[​IMG]

4. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

5. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

Ok where the hell is the official joe johnson signing?????

xlr817 and hakeem94 like this.
  6. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Did joe johnson die?

RyanB likes this.
  7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Morey can't make up his mind

8. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Maybe he is waiting until after the Kings game to cut Black? Its a back to back so they may feel they will need him. Joe wasnt gonna play anyway. No sense in waiving Black before then. And Im sure Joe is fine waiting another day.

Von Rafer, mdoggnic and BigMaloe like this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Relax guys.

Waived players remain on the waiver-wire for 48 hours. Until he clears waivers, Joe is not a free agent, and can't sign with the Rockets. Teams can claim him and assume his full contract (no buyout discount), for 48 hours, but they won't.

Feigen seems to say the Kings didn't waive him as soon as we thought they did.

Looks like Johnson would have cleared at EOB today (Tuesday 2/13), possibly tomorrow (Wed 2/14)

#509 heypartner, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  10. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Its been 48 hours though.

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yeah, that's what I said. And, it was a day or two after Wright was waived, right?

It would have ended at 5pm today, or maybe they don't start the clock until the first morning after the waive. Reasonable to assume the signing happens tomorrow.

Anyhoot, Feigen seems to say it's no big deal or chance of unraveling.

BigMaloe, DonKnock and D-rock like this.
  12. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Yes. I agree. No hurry. Joe wouldnt play anyway. I bet it happens over the break. No need to waive a player for one they wont need right away.

13. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

CyberX was right

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Joe Johnson will be a great mentor to his son Joe Chee.

Von Rafer and saner-s88 like this.
  15. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

deleted...................

16. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

So he signing or not? It's past 48 hours

17. eslate22

eslate22 Member

we’re on the 2 yard line

BHannes2BHonest, RyanB and Von Rafer like this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Relax.

He officially becomes a free agent when the league opens for business today I believe

19. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

His Instagram still says Houston Rockets so I'm content.

Deuce, Von Rafer, xlr817 and 2 others like this.
  20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I’m of the assumption that joe Johnson and the rockets aren’t in a rush to get him before the all star break. No real rush to get him here.

My next assumption is morey had talks with people in his roster decision circle that caused him reprieve. Some of those thoughts in my guesstimation are he’s signed next year and would cost us to not be on our team. Not only that, but Luc ariza and green are all expiring and while you would like to and maybe feel confident in resigning any or all of them you can’t count those chickens. So keeping a future insurance depth wing is probably more important than who they decide to drop.

Which leads us to the ultimate decision of black or onuaku?

Black was just signed with the bae and has no contract after this year whereas onuaku is fully guaranteed next year. Typically it’s always been about flexibility with morey, but being 100% in he luxury next year no matter what seems not so much the case especially considerring it’s a small contract.

But the report “after further talks” also leads me to speculate maybe black is asking for the release instead conceding he is likely to lose his spot on the roster. In this case why not wait until after this Sacramento b2b. Gives him an extra game check for the year before searching further employment on another roster.

So in final, I think it will be black and he will be waived after tonight’s game he likely plays in and we make the joe Johnson signing official right before all star break. Gives him and Wright a full week off to meet and get comfortable with the team and likely get a few practices in together.